• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good $600 scope for a trainer.

quietmike

Private
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2009
Shelbyville, TN
Looking to set up a 22 trainer. I've decided on a CZ Tacticool based on previous CZs I've owned and good reviews.
I'm lost when it comes to the scope. I run a pmii on my main rifle, but the wife would torture me for days and kill me if I bought a duplicate for a 22.

Looking for a good (decent at least) scope for around $600, maybe a little more,less wouldn't hurt my feelings either.

Suggestions?

Went through this recently also. I also want to use my CZ for some rimfire competition and some of it will be shot at 25 yards so finding a scope that will focus down to that distance is hard to find. Athlon scopes seems to be what others are choosing for trainers because of price and ability to focus close however I'm not very familiar with them. The new Vortex PST Gen II will focus at 25 yards but they will be quite a bit more than $600. However no matter what brand you look at if you want a few more features like zero stop or ten mils of travel per rotation of the turret then you're getting close to that price range of the PST Gen II and I'd rather stay with Vortex if I can. Some PSTs SFP scopes are showing up now but the FFP ones are still not out yet.

I like both the Athlon Talos BTR 4-14 and the Argos 6-24. Between owning multiple examples of both and a bunch of shooting buddies having them too, I think highly of them for a inexpensive FFP scope.

The new Ares series will be coming out in a month or so and will be a great scope in the $800 map price range, you'll be able to find them for less if you shop around. It'll have close focus, 10 mil knobs, ZS, lot's of travel, great glass and even better reticle.

You could always go with the usual suspects as well like SWFA 3-15 or a vortex 2.5-10. I'm about to swap scopes on mine and either go with vortex or may give the athlon a try.

I like both the Athlon Talos BTR 4-14 and the Argos 6-24. Between owning multiple examples of both and a bunch of shooting buddies having them too, I think highly of them for a inexpensive FFP scope.

The new Ares series will be coming out in a month or so and will be a great scope in the $800 map price range, you'll be able to find them for less if you shop around. It'll have close focus, 10 mil knobs, ZS, lot's of travel, great glass and even better reticle.

Thanks. I really like the looks of that Argos.

I'm just getting my new 455 setup as a trainer myself, I took an SWFA 3-15 FFP off an AR to see how I liked it and I'm definitely keeping it on there. Focus and glass is great for rimfire I feel like. I liked the scope, It's been shot out to 1K on other centerfires but after I put it on my CZ it really matches up well. And focuses down to 6 yds.

That Weaver 'Super Slam' in the posted link is actually one of their ffp tactical models if the model # is correct. Comes with .1 mil clicks, locking turrets, and pretty good glass. I bought one almost like it from one of the wholesalers I do business with several years ago, not noticing that the model I ordered had a mil dot reticle, but MOA knobs. Whatever - I put it on an AR10 I built for myself in 7mm-08 Imp 30*, and it's still chugging along just fine. At that price, I could go for a couple of those in the link, since they have mil clicks. Only thing lacking (especially for a 22RF) is a zero stop, since 5 mils/rev is going to make it hard to keep track if you go out to 200yds or beyond.

Check out Sig Sauer Tango 4/6 line. I picked up a Tango 4 3-12x42 FFP for $650 w/coupon from optics planet. I think it has some really nice glass. There are some good deals on eBay right now for the Sigs. They are discontinuing/changing/upgrading there line some and I might pick up some more. A lot of SFP available as well.

I'm having a hard time making a decision myself. Been looking at the Athlon Talos BTR. I'm a southpaw so my options are limited. I have the CZ 452 American Left Hand in .17hmr, I have it bedded, And all the mods. I have a Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 sitting here. Planned on putting it on my son's .223 T3. Don't know if I should use it or just buy Athlon or 1 of the other 100 choices. I'm just at a point I don't know what to do. My rig has an MSR rectile. I would love to find a cheap good tracking optic for $500 with an MSR.

I'm having a hard time making a decision myself. Been looking at the Athlon Talos BTR. I'm a southpaw so my options are limited. I have the CZ 452 American Left Hand in .17hmr, I have it bedded, And all the mods. I have a Vortex HS-T 6-24x50 sitting here. Planned on putting it on my son's .223 T3. Don't know if I should use it or just buy Athlon or 1 of the other 100 choices. I'm just at a point I don't know what to do. My rig has an MSR rectile. I would love to find a cheap good tracking optic for $500 with an MSR.

Seems you like simple reticles.

I used to use the Midway BSA tactical 4-14x44. It's got a standard fair 1/2 mil reticle about .7 mil thick. Still have six or so of those among friends, one came broke but was replaced by Midway and GTG, but the rest have worked fine. The glass in them is poor is the main issue.

Just yesterday we were pounding steel in a good wind with both those Athlon scopes I mentioned. I was using my Talos BTR/6mmFatRat AR upper at the time, forming brass. My bud got a object at 1120Y on the first and second shot and I hit it on the 3rd with his setup. I was out of ammo so I didn't get to try.

This will be entertaining... I have a Talos mounted on a 6 ftlb PCP air rifle, that's only twice the power of a RedRyder BB gun. I dialed as well as heldover over on a 3" steel at 100Y. It was 12.9 mils and got it 4 times in a row with up to 2 mils holdoff. ELR for a little air rifle.

Update.

My tacticool came in. Got the Argos Btr 6-24.
Spent the afternoon mounting it and working on the rifle's trigger.
Didn't shoot it yet but impressed with the glass. Even at 24x it's still pretty bright. The eyebox gets picky at high mag, but so does my S&B. Clicks are better than I was expecting from the reviews. If it's adjustments are repeatable, I'll be very happy with it.
For $360, its a solid scope.

That Weaver 'Super Slam' in the posted link is actually one of their ffp tactical models if the model # is correct. Comes with .1 mil clicks, locking turrets, and pretty good glass. I bought one almost like it from one of the wholesalers I do business with several years ago, not noticing that the model I ordered had a mil dot reticle, but MOA knobs. Whatever - I put it on an AR10 I built for myself in 7mm-08 Imp 30*, and it's still chugging along just fine. At that price, I could go for a couple of those in the link, since they have mil clicks. Only thing lacking (especially for a 22RF) is a zero stop, since 5 mils/rev is going to make it hard to keep track if you go out to 200yds or beyond.

I did two of these up for 22s using the Burris signature tactical rings and you can adjust inserts along with a 20 moa rail

you end up with only a couple mis from bottomed out, and presto... You have a pseudo zero stop

I don't want to knock anyone else's choices, but I purchased an Athlon Argos BTR 8-34x and have nothing but trouble with it. It doesn't track well and I ran into the issue of it not actually making the adjustments after turning the turrets, for 2 to 3 shots, then it would just into position. That plus the clarity of the glass with subpar and the eyebox is terrible. I've mess with different comb heights and head position a ton, just can get a good sight picture with it no matter what I do.

Maybe I got one that slipped passed QC, who knows. I'm currently in the works of spending it in for them to service it, so we'll see how that goes. Maybe the 6-24x's Argos' are different, but I can't recommend the 8-34x at this time. Ended up just buying a Bushnell DMR off the classifieds and am pleased with that.

I will say, the vortex PST line is probably the best bang for your buck right now. You can find good deals on used gen 1 pst's since everyone is upgrading to the gen 2's.

-Poptart

Here is a great plinker scope usually destined for center-fired rigs.
If 16x max works for you, give this a shot.

It's also available in mil-dot, if your local squirrels require 'ranging'.

Bushnell 6500, 2.5-16x, 42mm (also avail. in 50mm) with a 30mm tube.
Focuses to 10-yards (which is great for a rimfire).
Comes with a sunshade.
$620

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/prod..._652164M_Elite_6500_2_5_16x42_Riflescope.html

AN

Last edited:
I put a Vortex HST 4-16 on a Savage FV-SR. It doesn't quite focus down to 25 yds but for there on out, its a great trainer scope.

I use an SWFA 3-15 FFP Mil/Mil version. It tracks great and has decent glass. Can be outfitted with a zero stop as well for an extra $20-25. I bought mine used in NIB shape from the optics PX here for around $600