• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good air rifle suggestions?

TimC in KY

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2018
I have a friend looking for a good precharge air rifle of at least .25 cal for shooting Iguanas. Anyone have recommendations for a good one and ones to stay away from. Thanks

Reactions: Aftermath
lots of options these days, and it will depend on how much he wants to spend.
you can get an accurate pcp for a few hundred, but can also spend thousands...
if he is hunting in residential areas, he will want something quiet as well.
i am not expert (own 1 pcp) and would suggest airgunnation.com...
filling the rifle will be the other main consideration.

If budget is high, FX will do great job. They are sweeet.

Airforce is a great bang for the buck if you dont need a repeater. Plenty of options, power, and affordable. Perfect workhorse hunting rig. Easy to fit clip on nightvision as well.

Benjamin marauder can be had in 17 22 25 cal. More affordable, but still a nice pick!

Reactions: Im2bent
Thanks for the replies. They mainly hunt from a boat with onboard electric compressor.

He can afford the FX, many times over, but he’s a tightwad. I’m just trying to keep him out of Walmart 😀

• Haha
Reactions: DIBBS
I’d think a simple 22 break barrel from bass pro would be plenty good for the chicken of the trees.

More importantly, does he need help shooting them? Been thinking about getting one and doing this myself lately. Things are everywhere down here.

I'm using a break barrel 22 for rats and cocking is a little tough for an old guy like me.
It's a Gamo Whisper Fusion Mach 1, about $200.
820fps @ 10ft with 14.6gr pellets.
Seems very quite.

He is not a member here, but is watching the thread. That is, if he’s not lost in the 3328 pages of the motivational pictures thread. 😀😀

I got a Hatsan Carnivore in .30 caliber. It's a break barrel gas-piston and a real bitch to cock! Fucker weighs 10 lbs without a scope. Anyways, this is my favorite place to look for pcp airgun related stuff:

After 7 months with FX, I wouldn't be one to recommend them if you're gonna shoot much. I'm at a 1000-1800 rnds/ month shot rate and the Dreamline wasn't up to the task even when running lower pressures and way less than max hammer spring. If the valve is more robust in their (fx) other models, they may be fine. For me, going to RAW HM1000x at 2-300$ less than taking a chance on the FX Impact was more appealing.

Haven't put more than 1000 through the RAW yet, so reliability remains to be seen.
If I was starting over, I'd probably go American Air Arms or save $2400 and just go Air Venturi Avenger. Cheap, crude , and ugly ,but I've shot 3 different ones and they shoot way above their price point.

I have the mkii impact with power plenum. I may have got lucky but haven't had any issues at all. Its .25 cal and I shoot the 34 gr jsb at around 920 fps. Just clean the barrel around every 3 tins of pellets and it stacks them. Killed a ground hog at 93 yards with a head shot the other day.

Also have a taipan veteran but its in 22. Shoots extremely well for what it is but if you want to stretch it out (with pellets not slugs) would definitely stay 25 or bigger.

Started with a marauder and mine was solid to 100 yards on starlings.

Like others have said, all what you want to spend. Like anything that's fun you'll end up spending more than you ever thought!

I just got into pcp and bought a Benjamin Marauder .22 cal. This pcp air gun thing is fun!

What’s a decent air gun accuracy expectation just curious?

I just got into pcp and bought a Benjamin Marauder .22 cal. This pcp air gun thing is fun!

1moa at 50 yds is pretty common so i would want something like that.
again, the right ammo for the rifle makes a difference.
in general, i stick with jsb jumbo diabolo, fx (made by jsb), h&n barracuda 18s, and air arms diabolo fields.

Reactions: Hagen

My marauder was .25 and has the green mountain barrel but would shoot under 3\4 all the time and half inch most of it at 50 yards. Its like any other rifle, all about the tune and pellets.

Oh yeah, and winds a bitch.

In the mid-range price, I suggest the Benjamin Marauder in .25 caliber as well.
American support with a stable long-term company which will not vanish anytime soon.
The largest list of upgrades and parts of any air rifle I have seen.
With some minor mods, 42 shots on a single fill, all within a very low shot-to-shot variation in velocity.
Well within your desired 1 MOA at 50 yards. Highly reputed Green Mountain barrel.

Multi-shot repeater, with adjustable trigger. It can be set feather light.
Adjustable cheek-piece.
And once adjusted, very quiet. For the longest time it was the gold standard for quiet (without additional noise suppression).

Attachments

• Benjamin Marauder.jpg
    Benjamin Marauder.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 74
I got a condor many years ago its still going BUT I don't shoot the shit out of it. It kills rabbits drt. Got it from these guys they have excellent service.

They have tons of rifles not just airforce.

10 round group on the shoot and see. 8 rounds I think on the orange sticker. 28 yards. Using Crossman Ultra Magnum 14.3
464BDBB4-EA92-4BB6-9138-1E4FEE188CDE.jpeg
9DFF433B-71C1-484D-9E91-C1A16ECFB842.jpeg

i love my leshiy 2 because it is light, compact (folds) and i can put 8 shots in the same hole in a couple seconds, but it is on the bucks up end.

carslingCapture.JPG

Reactions: drglock
OP not trying to steel anything from the thread by asking questions about accuracy of the marauder. So if I need to pound sand elsewhere just let me know

Been watching iguana killing videos like crazy. While taking out some feral pigeons at local farm.

I definitely see myself being a member of the pcp world now. Literally like having a suppressed .22 but for $10 per 500 rounds. Following this thread for when I upgrade

When one can hit where they're aiming with a "Red Rider"......... they're good to go

What is considered the “AI” of the air gun world? What rifle/caliber combo is “the best”

No wind, my Daystate’s shoot as tight as my Vudoo inside 35 yards. Beyond that a puff of wind will blow the light 22s. MOA at 50, 2-3 at 100. They are a blast in the backyard.

3CC003BA-D4DB-4EE1-A136-492A6C1FA4C4.jpeg

What is considered the “AI” of the air gun world? What rifle/caliber combo is “the best”
It depends upon your state's airgun laws, what game is plentiful, and whether you are seeking knock-down for bigger game (like deer), or mostly shoot smaller animals. In my state, for smaller game the .25 caliber allows you to hunt all small game and "fur bearers". For deer, it must be .357 caliber or larger. I have the Marauder for small stuff, because it gives me a large number of shots. I have another larger caliber air rifle for deer and javelina-sized game.

This is what I use on larger game, and is legal in my state. It only give me 5 shots per fill.
It fires a .357 Nosler Extreme 145 grain slug.

Attachments

• bulldog with snail.jpg
    bulldog with snail.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 66
It depends upon your state's airgun laws, what game is plentiful, and whether you are seeking knock-down for bigger game (like deer), or mostly shoot smaller animals. In my state, for smaller game the .25 caliber allows you to hunt all small game and "fur bearers". For deer, it must be .357 caliber or larger. I have the Marauder for small stuff, because it gives me a large number of shots. I have another larger caliber air rifle for deer and javelina-sized game.

This is what I use on larger game, and is legal in my state. It only give me 5 shots per fill.
It fires a .357 Nosler Extreme 145 grain slug.
Sorry for not listing that,

With accuracy the main goal we’re talking feral pigeons and squirrels as the game animals

Sorry for not listing that,

With accuracy the main goal we’re talking feral pigeons and squirrels as the game animals
I would still go .25 caliber, as some pigeons have very bony chest plates. I have a .22 caliber PCP rifle which has been known not to render an instant kill.

I really like my FX wildcat and my dad's FX dreamline. Mine is a .25 cal prints nice little groups at 35yds

I have a friend looking for a good precharge air rifle of at least .25 cal for shooting Iguanas. Anyone have recommendations for a good one and ones to stay away from. Thanks
Is your friend named Tim C? From KY?
Asking for a friend.

I am seriously interested in one of these. Is that the short? Also, how quiet is it?
that is the 350mm (long) although they have longer barrels as well.
it isn't that quiet compared to manual fed rifles, because of the semi-auto action.
it could be down around 80db with the full mod40 moderator, but 85db is the min unless i muffle the action somehow.
tripodcartoonCapture.JPG

I have a .22 cal BSA super 10 with a cheap Weaver 4x12 short focus with a target dot. Shoots great. Stacks pellets in the same hole at 25 yds.

The manual pumps for charging the air tanks will wear you out, so a PCP compressor is great (about $1k or more depending on features).

The economy of an air rifle after initial costs is really attractive when compared to centerfire practice. I shoot this rifle nearly everyday. My kids dig it and It’s a ton of low cost fun.

Can’t say enough good things about air rifles.

that is the 350mm (long) although they have longer barrels as well.
it isn't that quiet compared to manual fed rifles, because of the semi-auto action.
it could be down around 80db with the full mod40 moderator, but 85db is the min unless i muffle the action somehow.
View attachment 7887225
Sweet. Thanks for the intel... What caliber did you choose? What would you say your max effective range on say a raccoon would be?

A seneca aspen is pretty sweet too...

It is a pump and pcp tank gun... very cool. Fill it up with compressor, then keep it full with a few pumps every shot.

Will an air rifle in the proper caliber with correct pellet choice be consistently good for coyotes?

Sweet. Thanks for the intel... What caliber did you choose? What would you say your max effective range on say a raccoon would be?
that is .22. right now it is throwing 18gr diabolos at 880fps (i am shooting mostly indoors and trying to be quiet)
for raccoon+ i'd prolly want .25 or .30 at 900+and if you can hold 1" at 60 yards i think that is reasonable.

Last edited:
Reactions: mkollman74