• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Good AK-47 for under $700?

Gasitman

Out of work pan handler
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2010
Washington
I am looking at an arsenal sgl-21. Are there any other good ones I should look at? I do not want the wasr-10 stuff, had one and it was covered in rust and the mags never fitted properly.

Re: Good AK-47 for under $700?

Arsenal offers some of the finest AK variants available. I used to own an SA M-7 and still own an SLR-106FR, but I have not personally used the Saiga/Legion Russian variant SLG21. As I understand it, they are very good quality typical of the AKs Arsenal puts out.

I personally like the milled, SA M-7 rifles better, but they are out of your price range.

Arsenals are supposed to be the cream of the crop right now but you're going to have to pay for them.

Inter Ordnance(IO Inc.)supposedly makes fine AK variants, IO AKs are affordable, made in the USA, shoots 2MOA, LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY. Been hearing nothing but good things about them.
http://www.ioinc.us/our-products

Or you can go find a Norinco MAK-90 for around $500-600. Trigger is awesome, receiver is 1.6mm compared to 1 or 1.1mm on other models. Only drawback is that it's hard to find certain parts for a MAK because of the receiver thickness. I've got a MAK and I love it. I have yet to find a mount I like so I can put my Eotech or scope on it to get true accuracy; but at 50 yards, I can hit 2-3MOA on iron sights all day long with cheap ammo. My MAK likes brown bear SP although I haven't tried shooting brass out of it yet. I'm too cheap to try to shoot nice ammo out of it.

Let us know what you decide on. Good Luck!

You may be able to find a Polish Milled Receiver AK for around that price as well.

Ive got a Arsenal and a Norinco NHM91. The Norinco is more accurate (~3" groups @ 100) but the Arsenal is smooth, reliable, well built and worth the money. If I would choose one overall, it would be the Arsenal. Sometimes you can run across a used Polytech for your price range..

accuracy in ak's is all over the place. best group shooting one i had was a wasr10 believe it or not it was like 2 moa under 200 yards for me straight from cia. norinco was a sloppy 3-4 moa with same junk steel cased crap.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gasitman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where would I find one of those? </div></div>

If there is not one on here, I prefer GunBroker or GunsAmerica.

Arsenals are good. I would also look into a Lancaster 3060. I have the stamped receiver which you can get for around $700, and the milled version is a little more. I've had mine for a couple of years, around 2500 rds. not one failure. It also shoots 1.5-2in groups at 100yds... the best I've ever had out of an AK. The 3060 is built on a NDS receiver using a mil spec Romy G kit (not a wasr) w/ chrome lined bbl. They add their russian red wood, G2 trigger and lifetime warranty. Its a lot more solid than my Bulgarian. I definitely wouldn't look over the 3060 when making your decision. Good luck.

I really like the arsenals, but no dealers around me have any. Some on GA and GB, but another $50 for the FFL fee, and tax, just is not worth it. I need to wait and find a used one locally.

AK's are hit or miss. You can have a $400 AK that shoots better than a $1500 AK and vice-versa. I paid $550 for a Yugo Folder with 2-30 round mags and a 75 round mag and it will hit minute-of-chest at 300 yds. I had a $1200 Legend that was more accurate if you threw it at someone. It's the luck of the draw...

After reading this post, i was hook on the AKs again so i search and found this Arsenal in 223, i will tested next weekend will see and some pics of the gun...
[
DSC08571.jpg

DSC08570.jpg
]

+1 for Arsenal.
Mine is an Arsenal (Las Vegas) SAM-7 that I added a side rail for optics. It's a great SHTF rifle for close to moderate >300' ranges.

I prefer it over my Galil ARM & Valmet 76 rifles.

I have a MAC 90 with minimul upgrades, flash hider, vented forend and not much else. I have a ball shooting clays propped on a berm at 25yds, no spray and pray, but actuall sight acquisition for each shot. Cheap ammo, cheap targets, cheap gun........does it get any better?