• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good ammo choices in .22LR for general plinking?

PGG

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 10, 2010
North Texas
I have a fair stash built up but wondered what everyones first choice is for basiz .22 LR ammo? I have a order of 10,000 rounds of cci on the way and have always found it to work well in most of my set ups. I shoot a lot suppressed almost exclusively and certain pistols like my AWC amphibian integral pistol is picky on ammo so far.
Thanks PG

Re: Good ammo choices in .22LR for general plinking?

CCI Standard Velocity.

I'll second CCI SV. Anyone have any thoughts on Gemtechs Subsonic .22 ammo? Ran across a bunch yesterday and picked up 2 bricks. Paid 49.50 per brick, pricier than the SV last time I bought it, but a steal at the moment.

General plinking, Federal AE5022 is my favorite. Bulk packs were cheap and pretty easy to find. Pretty darn accurate and consistent. I have yet to find a firearm that it won't perform in. Just found another case so I'm pretty happy. I like the CCI SV but I can't really tell the difference personally.

@$50 a brick thats the same price as wolf match.
I got two case of cci sv at Target sports with free shipping for $550. Thats the best deal i found on the net.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Feel-da-fury</div><div class="ubbcode-body">@$50 a brick thats the same price as wolf match.
I got two case of cci sv at Target sports with free shipping for $550. Thats the best deal i found on the net.
</div></div>

Two cases for $550? That's a screaming deal on SV. Nice score!

I have found the American eagle red box stuff, think its 32 gr hollow point, to be pretty good stuff for the price as well.

I use cci CB longs for general shooting...great for backyard stuff.

I use the CCI SV for most things; but have a 22 upper that loves the Federal Champion 510 target. The 510 is plain lead, which is the main drawback to that load.

Any HV bulk for my suppressed pistol. The rifle only gets RWS R50

Right now anything you can find is better than none. Generally for plinking I will go with whatever runs in ALL my 22s. You can't beat the Federal 745 for running in everything. It is the most consistent when it comes to feed and function in a large variety of 22s from bolt to semis, rifles to pistols, in my opinion it can't be beat. It comes in a 525 round bulk pack blue in color, old stock may be in reddish brown boxes. I doubt you will find any old stock right now.
Next up in general use and high degree of function would be Federal Auto match. It also tends to be more accurate than the 745 in most guns I have shot it in.
For my Annie 64 MPR I keep some cheaper macth ammo around, none of which is American made, just in case I want to shoot a bit more or hunt a bit. If and when I ever find another stellar lot of Center X or Wolf I will only use that in a match or for match practice. I use lesser lots for farting around and general use in my match rifle. I don't shoot bulk anything in my match rifle, and only very specific types of match ammo, I think you get the picture.

The only .22 ammunition that I use are CCI .22 LR 40gr HV and CCI Blazer .22 LR 40gr.

I have had really good results with federal auto match. My 10/22 does 1/4 moa or less when i do my part with those.

I have a match built 10/22 , S&W 41 and a Kimber SVT .22
They all shoot the Fed. Auto match as will as Wolf. Not,
Better.... But, as good! ..... W/ $ in my pocket.

As for my suppressed stuff, I use Rem. subsonic. It works
The action in my auto's and is quite. Not the most accurate
Ammo. But, good for suppressed plinking. And it's cheap !

Just what I have found that works over the years.
Hope it helps !

M

CCI velocitor i shoot it to 250 with my 597

I use Federal bulk packs for plinking. Accurate and dependable. I use Wolf MT for my Volquartsen.

I have a VQ Superlite that likes the expensive stuff but does really well with cheap Winchester Subsonic 40gr. Kills small critters with authority too.