• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good AR budget barrel

B-boy

Private
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2011
Hello fellow "X-Men" ;-) I need your help
I'm currently building a budget .223/556 AR and need advice on a barrel
I'm looking for something fairly accurate, around the 1 MOA mark, but trying to keep the price below $250
I'm thinking along the lines of a 16" gov profile with mid gas system
Light under the Handguard but heavy up front
I don't want a heavy build, so no bull or hbar barrels
I hear good and bad things relating to accuracy about Crome lined barrels ?
I won't be abusing the firearm so I don't think I need 1

Tks for your help

Re: Good AR budget barrel

Ok, I'm sure you've heard this a thousand times but at this point in time you're stuck with what's available. So many places are back logged with orders that your best bet is to grab whatever you can find. Rainier Arms, Bravo Company, Stag Arms, Model 1, DPMS, Daniel Defense are several that come to mind if you're highest point is $250. Daniel's might be a tad more but not much. When you're talking about accuracy how far are you looking to shoot? Is this going to be something where most of the shooting is within 50 yards for drills and the occasional 100, 200, 300 yard shots BR or prone with a bipod or bag? If so, then any of the above mentioned barrels are fine not to forget that there a plenty of other companies out there that I just cant think of right now.

As far as accuracy with chrome lined barrels I have never had a problem with them. Sometimes someone will get a bad barrel, the barrel might not be installed correctly, they've shot an AR with a free float barrel and compared it to their non-free float, etc.... and all of a sudden chrome lined barrels are bad.

You really should search this site a bit more for the information you seek as there are a lot of different opinions and people with great experience using so many different types of barrels. Also check the sale sections as you might be able to snag a great deal and have you barrel in a week rather than waiting months.

With what you want, in my opinion, most barrels will fit your need which is a good thing and life will be easier for you so I would begin the arduous task of finding one of those damn things that are actually in stock and grab it.

Palmetto State

Check there often. They always have stuff coming into stock.

Name of the game right now is to be patient. As stated above, check the sale section here, always good deals popping up.

Unless you're going to buy an M203, I don't see a point in getting an M4 profile barrel.

Rainier Arms had some barrels the other day when I looked. You might want to check them out.

Black Hole Weaponry...I believe Surplus Ammo & Arms has some in stock.

Thanks for the help
I'll see what i can find in stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Seen this?

Just stumbled across this. Say what you want about ARFCOM, and the hoodlems over there. </div></div>

Tks AurOra but their Out of Stock

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Seen this?

Just stumbled across this. Say what you want about ARFCOM, and the hoodlems over there. </div></div>

Any idea how Nitride holds up compared to chrome?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIPMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Seen this?

Any idea how Nitride holds up compared to chrome? </div></div>

From what I've read, Nitride is more accurate than chrome, but doesn't last quite as long. However, it does last a bit longer than a non-coated barrel. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out there. Though, if they start making those in 18" or 20" versions, I'll get one and try it out.

Check out Ranier's Select line. Just did a buddy's build with it and its lights out. Great barrel for the $$$

id wait for a PSA barrel, pretty sure FN makes their barrels. Should hold MOA. If this is a target gun id try and get a Hbar instead of a government profile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 357/308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello fellow Snipers

</div></div>

and for future reference, id avoid that word.
wink.gif

Ok, I found a lot of good barrels at the companies you'll suggested but like Ultraman said it's about what's available. Well nothing is instock right now. I guess it's a waiting game......

Thank you all

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 357/308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello fellow Snipers

</div></div>

wink.gif

</div></div>

W....T.....F?
That is the name of the forum......
Here, let me join gangbang.com,
So I wont talk about gangbangs

Wait on Ranier to come in stock. Never had a bad barrel from them.

They will be a bit over your budget, but check Fulton Armory when they come back online. I picked up a chrome lined Criterion for under $300, and they may still have them in stock (but who knows...). Rainier is a great option if you don't mind waiting for them to get their stock back in.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sirhrmechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dez Arms makes some nice barrels. They don't break the bank and I've put a couple of rifles together with their short (16") match barrels and they've been very good.

Worth checking out.

Cheers,

Sirhr </div></div>

I have a DEZ barrel and the chamber is very tight on it. Must want to get the most life out of their reamers. Just a warning.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: johnny-bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 357/308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello fellow Snipers

</div></div>

wink.gif

</div></div>

W....T.....F?
That is the name of the forum......
Here, let me join gangbang.com,
So I wont talk about gangbangs </div></div>

Most people here arent snipers. I dont personally shoot people in the face on a daily basis, maybe you do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cpt. obvious</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I dont personally shoot people in the face on a daily basis, maybe you do.</div></div>
bingo
wink.gif

Thanks for all your suggestions
I've narrowed it down to LW, Rainers Select and Wilson Combat

The cheapest barrel is rarely the best one. The most readily available one may be either undiscovered high quality, or it could be left over because it it "the dregs" of barrel manufacturing.

GI barrels usually don't give as good of accuracy as top end makers, but the chrome bore makes them last much longer. After replacing barrel #5, I have stayed with gi barrels. Since then my barrels just last longer. I am happy enough with my rifles usually shooting .75 MOA..sometimes better, sometimes worse, but it works well enough for me.

Unknown, where do u purchase ur barrels ?

I usually so a bunch of Internet searching using different search engines and wording. About two months ago I found new GI FN 20 inch barrels for around $275. I wish I would have had the extra cash.. I do not remember where they were though. If I find it I will pm you.

I've got a Daniel Defense, 7, twist barrel, 14.5in I'm not using that has 60rds threw it for $210 shipped. It was pretty accurate shooting 75gr ammo and I would say it's shoots just under 1moa with the hornady 75gr ammo I was using with an ACOG for optics.

Jng255 does the barrel have a pinned flash hider to make it 16 in. And does it come with gas block and gas tube?

Stick with Daniel Defense, I've had a few of their barrels now and each one has been great. They run just a shade above your price range (maybe 25 bucks) but I've found they're the best bang for your buck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIPMaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Aur0ra145 said:
Seen this?

Any idea how Nitride holds up compared to chrome? </div></div>

From what I've read, Nitride is more accurate than chrome, but doesn't last quite as long. However, it does last a bit longer than a non-coated barrel. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out there. Though, if they start making those in 18" or 20" versions, I'll get one and try it out. </div></div>
The way I look at it, accurate rifles are more interesting. If I burn out a nitrided barrel in 10k rounds, I probably have $4k worth of ammo down the tube. $250 and 15 minutes to swap a barrel doesn't seem like a bad tradeoff.

OP, I didn't notice them mentioned, but AR Performance might be worth a look. I bought a 20" nitrided barrel from them, hope to build it up this weekend. There prices are very resonable too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: b1c2r3r498</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jng255 does the barrel have a pinned flash hider to make it 16 in. And does it come with gas block and gas tube? </div></div>
I can pin a flash hider on it, but it's gonna make the price go up... It's a JP muzzle comp ( not the round looking comp they make) and it doesn't have a gas block.. It's a bare barrel. I only want like $30 less than what I paid for it... It has 60rds max threw it, so it's still new. Got a 14.5 bushmaster barrel too with a 9 twist I'll sell for cheap. It's has about 2k rounds threw it.
PM me if you're infested as I don't have a need for either one of em

How long a barrel last means very different things to people. Any bolt gun barrel that outlasts my 300 Win mag's life span of about 100-1200 rounds before needing set back or replacement pleases me.

With AR15's, if a chrome lined barrel lasts more than 2-3 years I'm pretty pleased as that means I got about 5,000 to 10,000 rounds out of it before it dies.

Like brianidaho mentioned above, if I put that much money in ammo down the barrel, replacing a barrel for $275 really isn't too bad of a deal. It really helps that I am able to do the barrel swapping myself. All it takes is the new barrel, gas block, and about 2 hours time.