• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good barrel for DPMS .308 build

Luky

19D20E9
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2012
San Diego, Kalifornia
I am looking for a high quality 24" .308 barrel for a DPMS pattern upper that I am building. Right now I am considering a Lilja 24" 1:11 heavy contour for $465. What others should I consider (that are in stock or that I can order in a reasonable (4-8 weeks) lead time? Yes I want 24", fluting is optional as long as it doesn't add $200 to the price... I will be shooting 175 gr SMK so I want a 1:10 or 1:11 twist. I would also prefer it to be threaded so I can put a JP compensator on it. Will be shooting out to 900 yards or so.

The only other place that i can think of without a huge wait is maybe black hole weaponry. You can also try fulton armory for a criterion.

WHY do you want a 24" tube? You don't need anywhere CLOSE to that length to do the job you want to do with precision-levels of accuracy (with proper ammo, shooter, etc.). You are not really gaining that much in velocity versus a ~20" tube and you are piling on unnecessary length and weight, decreasing portability/mobility/packability, etc.

That said, check with Craddock Precision re: what Paul can do for you in a hurry. His usual lead-time on .308/7.62 tubes is only around 3-4 weeks, but I don't know if he'll have any blanks sitting around or otherwise be able to get one in that time for a 24" tube as he generally doesn't do barrels that long (because most people just don't want/need them). ;) He uses only the finest quality barrels for his work, including but not limited to Bartlein among others, and he does offer options like fluting (which shouldn't cost you anywhere near an addt'l $200).

I have a fluted 24 inch barrel on my DPMS rifle that I would gladly swap for a 20-22 inch one. That ought to tell you something.

I would be thrilled to swap the current 24 inch barrel for a shorter one, or for a 260 REM barrel..But I have had a couple of years to try things. Ideally, I would like a medium weight fluted barrel to save weight and add rigidity.

I have a DPMS (from where do they source them?) 24" fluted bull barrel on my LR308 and that rifle is one fat pig. It should come with a cart or a gun bearer, or something. But, it does shoot REALLY well...

I have a DPMS (from where do they source them?) 24" fluted bull barrel on my LR308 and that rifle is one fat pig. It should come with a cart or a gun bearer, or something. But, it does shoot REALLY well...

Mine is the same, in that is shoots VERY well, but is a a super chunky piglet. Going to chop it to 20" one of these days when all my other projects are completed. I would have gone 18"-20" originally if DPMS had that option.

OK, thanks for the feedback. It is making me consider 20" barrels which opens my options somewhat. I already have a RRA 24" bull varmint upper for my AR15 and just figured a 24" .308 upper would be similar weight/feel. It is nose heavy, but as I am mainly shooting prone or off the bench using a bipod it has not been an issue for me. I also have a FA 16" Phantom carbine upper that I bought 8 or 10 years ago and is quite light and accurate when I need to run and gun.

So options for a 20" threaded LR308 barrel? JSE had some 20" Mega barrels, medium contour but I have not found any info on those (and they show sold out today). FA has a 20" medium contour available but it is 1:12 and I want a 1:11 or 1:10 for 175 gr SMK. I sent off another email to Lilja to see if they have a 20" in stock (which is a medium contour and only weighs 2.56 lbs vs the 24" heavy that weighs 4.25lbs). Doesn't look like an RRA barrel will fit on a DPMS upper...

Will I see better accuracy from a 20" heavy vs a 20" medium contour? Everything I have read says the heavy contour will be more accuarte (consistent) but is it enough that I am likely to notice? I am able to achieve .35" -.60" 5 shot groups at 100yards with my Savage 10BA and hand loaded 175 SMKs. Shot a 1.468" group @ 300yrds last time I was out so I CAN shoot a decent group sometimes. ;)

I second the rainier arms ultramatch barrels. Shilen blank machined by WOA? Hard to get better than that.

The JP looks attractive however seems rather pricy. At first I thought they came with the gas system and compensator as the pictures show but then I found that was for a "barrel kit" which they are not selling now... So $600 for just the barrel and I would still need a comp and send it out to have it installed/timed (I do like the JP Bennie Cooley brakes and think that's what I will get).

Rainier only shows 16" ultramatch in stock right now. Looks like $395 for a 20" ultramatch and it is listed at 3lbs for their medium contour which is actually a little heavier than the Lilja 20" medium at 2.59lbs (and $465)...

Does anyone know if the Rainier ultramatch uses a Shilen match grade or select match grade blank?

Does anyone know if the Rainier ultramatch uses a Shilen match grade or select match grade blank?

The Rainier Ultramatch barrels use Shilen Match-grade (NOT select-match) blanks that are then sent to WOA (or CLE depending on what source you believe ;) ) where they work their magic on them in terms of chambering, contouring, etc. per Rainier's specs.

If you are set on .308 I agree with others that 20" is a better option. If you are willing to switch to the .260 Remington than I like the 24" barrel ( I just got a Lilja 24" .260 Rem barrel that I'm waiting on an action block to assemble).

Rainier Arms 1x10 Twist select Match is the 20" barrel I would get in .308.

If you are set on .308 I agree with others that 20" is a better option. If you are willing to switch to the .260 Remington than I like the 24" barrel ( I just got a Lilja 24" .260 Rem barrel that I'm waiting on an action block to assemble).

Rainier Arms 1x10 Twist select Match is the 20" barrel I would get in .308.

I'm not set up for reloading .260 (only doing .223 and .308) and I don't think now is a good time to try and develop a new cartridge due to the scarcity of components and powder.

Why would you choose a Rainier select match instead of an ultramatch? I guess I am assuming (without trying to be an Ass ;) ) that the Ultramatch will be a better quality barrel (tighter tolerances, better finish or what not).

I just picked a stainless 20" 1-10 lothar walther in .308 with a matched bolt for $369 no wait from lothar walther direct. Had to use an Armalite gas tube but... Initial results with it are pretty stellar shooting in the .5moa range. Got the same barrel in .223 same price and it is out shooting my bolt guns....

The JP looks attractive however seems rather pricy. At first I thought they came with the gas system and compensator as the pictures show but then I found that was for a "barrel kit" which they are not selling now... So $600 for just the barrel and I would still need a comp and send it out to have it installed/timed (I do like the JP Bennie Cooley brakes and think that's what I will get).

All Supermatch barrels come with an individually head-spaced JP EnhancedBolt a $174.95 extra value.
Just an FYI.

Luky,

I'm going to be contrarian and recommend against getting a short barrel.

I've noticed that short barrels are now all the rage, with 16" barrels shooting to 1,000yards all the time...on the internet.

I shoot mostly across the course matches (200,300,600yards with iron sights) and prone matches, 300,600,1000yards, again with iron sights.

I shoot XTC with my AR-15 service rifle (20" barrel) and long range with my M110 build (also a 20" barrel). Short barrels are a stupid idea for long range.

If you intend to mostly shoot prone matches, or a building this rifle to shoot long distance, do not take the advise you've gotten so far.

There is a reason why F-class, palma matches, and NRA long range matches are shot w 28" -32" barrels...they produce the muzzle velocity needed to not only reliably get to 1,000yards, but do so while placing most of the shots within a 5"-10" circle with crosswinds.

To this end, I would go with the longest barrel i can get my hands on.

I have a 30" Brux barrel for my 308 AR platform...it cost me $480. I haven't been able to finish the build due to the madness afflicting the industry and because well, i'm busy shooting across the course and trying to keep enough reloading supplies on hand.

If this rifle will be exclusively a range queen, then go for the longest barrel you can find. I think you will find that even a 24" barrel is on the short side for this application (tho not too short). A 30" barrel will give you about 100-200ft/s over a 24" barrel which in turn translates to 200ft/s-300ft/s over the 20" barrel lengths you are being advised to go for.

Call Brux, Satern, Bartlein et al and find out who can give you the fastest turnaound.

P.S. 175SMKs are just OK for long range. There are MUCH better bullets hornady's 178 HPBT, 208AMAX & 225 HPBT sitting atop RL-17 are much better choices than the 175SMK. Berger 175s, 185, etc are also excellent bullets.

All Supermatch barrels come with an individually head-spaced JP EnhancedBolt a $174.95 extra value.
Just an FYI.

Thanks Jmack. I was going to reply to my earlier post with the same. I have a 22" Kreiger 6.5 CM I bought from Fulton. They sell for $599 without a bolt and are darn heavy. The medium contour of the JP is lighter and comes with the bolt. I have a 20" Lilja 308 which I really like but it was $465 without the bolt. After a closer look the JP isn't a bad deal.

OK, I hear you guys about the JP including a bolt, but I already purchased a nickel boron BCG so it doesn't really have that much added value to me. I would be a lot more interested if I could get the large Bennie Cooley comp timed/installed on the barrel from JP rather than the bolt...(save me from finding/paying a smith to do it).

TX flyboy, I hear you about the longer barrels. My brother shoots a 30" on his .308 Savage and was ringing steel at 1400 yds at Storm Mountain last summer. I probably would not go longer than 24" for this gun. Really going with a 20" you only lose ~100fps vs 24". Maybe if i was only shooting factory ammo... What matters to me is the load I work up for the barrel. My Savage 24" only likes 43.4 gr Varget with a 175 SMK right at 2.800" OAL. That gives me great consistency (.3 - .5 MOA). Sure I could add another grain or so of powder from the manual for more velocity, but then the groups open up. So while I can't yet say what my "best load" velocity may be from a 24" or a 20" barrel, it probably will not be at the max allowable load so the potential added 100 fps for the extra 1.5lbs (say 10% of the rifle weight) does not seem like a good trade off at this time (and if I regret it later I ill just have to find a new barrel or build a second upper). I'll probably use my Savage for our high power matches but every other month they do a "tactical match" where we walk down range and shoot off berms, through "windows", sitting in a lawn chair, short distance like a 6" plate at 30 yards (ever try to hit a 1.5" bottle cap at 20 feet? Through a scope?) etc with more timed and rapid fire targets. The distances are less (maybe 700 yds longest) so I think this gun would probably be better for this match. But I do want to build it to hit the 890 target (furthest on our range) when I want to.

I have been shopping around and contacted Rainier today as I like that their medium contour is a little heavier with a more constant profile down the barrel length and the price is less (than the Lilja). However they are out of stock with no ETA in sight... When I contacted Lilja they have both 20" medium and 24" heavy contours in stock right now. So I think I am going to order the 20" Lilja since I can get it now (that immeadiate gratification thing) and then it is on to finding a low profile gas system (PRI adjustable?) and a 13"-15" forend (only want to spend about $200 so maybe JP/ Viking Tactical or Troy). This is turning into an expensive project. Just don't tell my wife...

I'm not set up for reloading .260 (only doing .223 and .308) and I don't think now is a good time to try and develop a new cartridge due to the scarcity of components and powder.

Why would you choose a Rainier select match instead of an ultramatch? I guess I am assuming (without trying to be an Ass ;) ) that the Ultramatch will be a better quality barrel (tighter tolerances, better finish or what not).

Sorry, I got my Rainier barrels mixed up. I would go with the 1x10 twist barrel one which is the Ultra Match.

My 18" Fulton Armory FAR 10 gets half minute accuracy to 500 yards( the longest range at which I tested it)

14v07ti.jpg

I went with the 18" as its the length of the M1A, and I really don't ever expect to use this gun beyond 800 yards.

Luky, I was suggesting the JP because you wanted a longer barrel. I have the 20" Lilja in 308 and love it. I have the JP in 6.5 CM 22" also. both great barrels. With the Lilja or the JP you will have a threaded barrel and will need to add a comp etc. All you need to do to install it yourself is basically screw it on. You can order a jam nut from JP to time the comp or really all you have to do is rub the comp across some heavy grit sandpaper and time it yourself. Be careful to check it often as you will be surprised at how much metal will come off. Add a little blue loctite and your gtg.

Really all you have to do is rub the comp across some heavy grit sandpaper and time it yourself. Be careful to check it often as you will be surprised at how much metal will come off. Add a little blue loctite and your gtg.

Thats what I did, but mine was off less than 45*. You just need to make sure that you keep the comp square as you can while removing material.

Im partial to the Lilja, and would go 22"-24" length. JP is interesting, and would also serve you well. So comes down to who has what in stock. But make sure you get an adjustable gas block. Thats the one thing in precision gas guns that can't be overlooked.

I have a dpms 16" barrel that shoots really well at close range (100 yds), but I haven't been able to shoot it much farther. What does concern me is that my loads with the 175 smk will only go to 800 yds before it goes subsonic according to jbm ballistics. So, when you decide to go with a shorter barrel, be sure not to go TOO short.