• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Beginner's rifle

Big_Country44

Private
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2011
Bremen, Georgia
Im thinking about getting into the long range bolt rifle but dont have a lot of cash to spend, the rifle I have been looking at is a Remington M700 PSS with a Mcmillan A4 stock, Any opinions?

Re: Good Beginner's rifle

Just read the threads on this board for a few weeks and you'll come up with tons of opinions and good advice..

yes good starter rifle, honestly i think any of the savage tactical, rem 700 pss,ltr, varmint, howa 1500, fn spr or pbr are all great starter rifles. if i can make one recommendation it is to spend more money on the optic than the rifle. the mcmillan a4 is a great stock but you would be better served spending the extra cash on the optics.

I am not sure where you are located but i would try to hook up with local hide guys and get behind there setups before you spend you hard earned cash on a new rifle.

I have also been looking at optics and I like a Nightforce 3.5x15 at my local gunshop thats probably the scope I will buy.

NF has great customer service, give them a call before you buy and tell them what your shooting ranges will consist of and where you want to go with it and they will make a good recommendation on the best scope to use

I'd go for the .308Win.

Good selection of loads available, very good selection of reloading components (if you reload).

You should be able to shoot more, for less.

More time spent shooting is always better.

Thanks for all the feedback, I have been reading through the fourum and I have narrowed it down between an FN SPR A2 and Rem. 700 PSS, in .308

If your not concidering to true your action and swap barrels, I´d go for a savage. Same price, out of the box accuracy is quite a lot better, in my experience. An A4 remains a good choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big_Country44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In your opinion what model savage is better? </div></div>

This one...seen several of them shoot very, very well out of the box. 5-shot groups under an inch at 200 yds in 308.

Precision Carbine

I used to have a Model 11FXP3. Was great. Also you hear alot of good things about the 10 series.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big_Country44</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Im thinking about getting into the long range bolt rifle but dont have a lot of cash to spend</span>, the rifle I have been looking at is a Remington M700 PSS with a Mcmillan A4 stock, Any opinions? </div></div>

New rifle, McM stock, and NF glass? Heck of a lot more cash to spend than lots of us here. You will be able to find a nice rig for that easily. Don't pass up on something used that is already set up for long range/tactical shooting.

Of course this project is going to take most likely over a year to complete i think im going to start with a stock rifle and get comfortable with that and slowly uprgade it as i go.

308 is cheaper and less punishing to shoot, and being able to shoot a lot is the best way to improve (and have fun).

I own a savage and like it a lot. I have recently shot a stainless heavy barrel Howa in 308 and it shot real well with standard 150gr walmart ammo! Then again, you mentioned an FN, in my opinion those are Really Nice. They may not walk on water, or shoot around corners... but well built and a nice design.

I do not currently have a 308, but by mid year I will for sure have a Howa Heavy Barrel stainless!
smile.gif
It is not perfect, but it does work real nice! Hmm..damn.. Mdesign, that Savage PC looks nice too...! /grumble

Have a good one,
Gary

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big_Country44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Of course this project is going to take most likely over a year to complete i think im going to start with a stock rifle and get comfortable with that and slowly uprgade it as i go. </div></div>

If you want to upgrade it and customize it go with the Remington. You'll have more options down the road.

No one mentioned 223?

Its a fantastic beginners caliber, and its far more pleasant to shoot and costs are lower than a 308.

I probably wont branch out of 223 until it becomes a hindrance at longer range. Even then, i'll just rebarrel and start pushing 77/80's further. Until then, im happy with the caliber, and feel i made a great choice with that.

You'll really like the A4 stock.......it's always been a favorite of mine

Food for thought.....order a stick from GA Precision.
Just put a little cash down and you'll have about a year to save up the rest.....and they'll build your rig right.

search thouroughly before posting, as these types of threads are created on a daily basis. Otherwise people will bust your balls Snipers Hide search engine

I would say get a rem 700 in .308 or .223. remingtons are more common and are easier to upgrade down the road. You cant go wrong with a Mcmillan. Be careful, its an addiction

Not trying to talk you out of the Remington, but you do realize that McMillan inlets for the Howa and the Savage as well right? And do not let anyone fool you, Howa has enough options to get you set up pretty much any way you desire. They do, however, have Less of those mfg options. Instead of 10000000 different bottom metal setups mfg wise, they only have a couple rock solid options. Scope bases, you are covered, ect,ect,ect.

I get tired of the old mantra that Rem is the only stick you can buy and later hot rod. They damn sure are *NOT* the best!!!! And do not go there with trying to pass "but the mil uses them", that crap dont fly with me! The true Mil version is little to nothing like what a civilian can purchase. Civy version = cheaply made crap, mil version pretty close to custom. PT&G I know has the bolt conversions for the Mil remingtons, because plainly the OEM bolt = crap. /sigh, yeah go ahead and flame on me, I got my nomex undies on.

Savage is better, Howa is better, FN is WAY better, and those are just off the top of my head.

Good Luck in whatever you decide sir, I certainly do not mean to come off sounding like an asshole in your thread. So, if that is what it comes off like to you, then I apologize in advance. But I refuse to drink the CoolAide. Most any good GS will tell you straight up, unless you already own a 700, please consider buying a straight up custom action (probably based OFF of a 700 loosely) that is already 100%+ ready to go. It will save you time, trouble, and money in the end. Buy once, cry once.

Gary

I have an FN spr that i have had some great success with. very mild recoiling, chrome lined bore should give you a very long barrel life. controlled round feed. and a mcmillan stock to boot. the stocks the PBRs come with i feel are lacking. check your PMs.

i have an fn spr a2 that i bought off this site and i like it. but, my first was a savage with a match barrel that i also bough here. both a great shooters and plenty of fun. if you are patient, you will find some good deals come through the for sale section. i looked at every fn spr for sale post for over a year before i bought mine.

Listen, to be brutally honest you asked a question that that cannot be answered as simply as you want. Us humans in general are fan boys. Chevy vs Ford, McDonald's vs BK, and this also. But let me give you my 2 cents. Fill out your profile to link up with some guys here to finger their sticks and YOU decide what feels best for YOU. No what we think. If you must know what I personally recommend and why, not just this is better than that. Remington 700, 1)Many master gunsmiths specialize in this actions/type of action i.e. Surgeon, Templar, etc. 2) After market support is outstanding from simple budget tactical or benchrest builds too full on Guccied out 3) I have years in deployments, hunting, and recreational shooting and never have had my many Remingtons fail me under adverse, life threatening, and enjoyable situations, and <span style="text-decoration: underline">4) In these hard economic times that face many American especially us blue collar men and woman, REMINGTON IS AMERICAN OWNED AND MADE!</span> unlike some of these "better brands"

All depends on your budget. Can't go wrong with the Remington 700 5R 308, B/O 20 MOA rail, rings, and SS 10X scope. Spend the rest of your money on a good press, dies and 2000 175 gr SMK, WW brass, primers and 16 Lbs of Varget. That'll get you started for sure.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Big_Country44</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Next question is caliber, its a split between 300 WSM and .308 WIN.</div></div>

For those that suggested the .308 over the .300WSM, if a guy already has one, would it be worth it to trade over to a .308? I'm starting to get into longer range shooting as well, and as I don't have anything but the rifle (factory R700 with black plastic stock) yet, wondering if I should switch to .308 before I get to dumping money into this one. ???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popeye089</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: underline">4) In these hard economic times that face many American especially us blue collar men and woman, REMINGTON IS AMERICAN OWNED AND MADE!</span> unlike some of these "better brands" </div></div>

Nope. That "vague" sense of patriotism only goes so far. I buy something based on quality, not who makes it.

Once remington steps up their QC game, i might be inclined to take a second look, but as far as i'm concerned, other brands have a better fit and finish, for less money.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: diriel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get tired of the old mantra that Rem is the only stick you can buy and later hot rod. They damn sure are *NOT* the best!!!! And do not go there with trying to pass "but the mil uses them", that crap dont fly with me! The true Mil version is little to nothing like what a civilian can purchase. Civy version = cheaply made crap, mil version pretty close to custom. PT&G I know has the bolt conversions for the Mil remingtons, because plainly the OEM bolt = crap. /sigh, yeah go ahead and flame on me, I got my nomex undies on.</div></div>

What a load of shit. I won't flame you, but please try and justify the crap that you post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popeye089</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="text-decoration: underline">4) In these hard economic times that face many American especially us blue collar men and woman, REMINGTON IS AMERICAN OWNED AND MADE!</span> unlike some of these "better brands" </div></div>

Nope. That "vague" sense of patriotism only goes so far. I buy something based on quality, not who makes it.

Once remington steps up their QC game, i might be inclined to take a second look, but as far as i'm concerned, other brands have a better fit and finish, for less money. </div></div>
Certain people's "Vague Sende of Patriotism" is why we don't make anything anymore. But as I stated. And many people can back this up. Remingtons have saved many lives, taken many game, and continue to do so. Also many members here can vouvh for conistant sub MOA to near .5 MOA box accuaracy out of 500 rifles. I guess some people consider this poor quality
confused.gif

Something in the Remington 700 line would be my choice. Spend good money on the optics.

Can't go wrong with a Remington (unless it's a 710 haha). I just picked up a SPS Varmint in 308. Only ten rounds through it but so far it has impressed me. With a cheap Bushnell on the top of it it is making groups that look like a custom built rifle at 100 yds. (ok maybe not that good, but very impressive compared to my hunting rifles). Still made in the good ole' USA too.

Ok, perhaps I worded it a bit harshly.

1) Remingtons QC has fell quite badly over the last 10 years or so. Honestly, ask any good gun smith. They will usually tell you that if you already own a 700, fine lets do it. If you do not own one already, and plan to build Some Thing For LR, please consider any one of a number of custom actions.
2) Another fact is I HAVE seen 1 remington bolt hand break off (they are silver soldered onto the bolt) when A guy was shooting factory ammo on a very hot day, he tried to forcefully open the bolt and eject the case. I swore them off That Day.
3) It is a fact that the Military sniper systems based off Remington are NOT the same as we can buy. You can have made similar, but not the same. Just take a look at the new 300wm Mil Spec ammo, the specified COAL is longer than a standard Rem LA will allow. Now, the new bolts are a 1 piece forged unit provided by PT&G, I talked to Dave Kiff one day and it happened to come up.

I am not a fanboi of any kind, unless you count Longish Range shooting itself. Who MFG a stick counts less for me than how well it performs, and how durable it will be under long term field usage. When Remingtons QC comes up, I will reconsider, if that includes a forged or other wise rugedized bolt, then I will seriously re-consider.

In the mean time, if I want Remington TYPE, it will be a custom action that comes with a forged 1 piece bolt tyvm. I have pounded the ever lovin shit out of my Savage a couple times when I got stoopid trying out MagPro powder on a DAMN hot day, when I left my ammo in the sun too long. I didn't get the case out when the bolt came open, but I did not break my bolt handle off either!

Savage is better than Remington in my humble opinion, and American Made. If you look on here and other reputable site's you will see a whole lot of folks beginning to shoot savage, or already shooting them. Are they perfect? NOPE! But by design they are meant to shoot good, and be reasonably durable.

I also Really Like the FN series. Those are some durable sticks, that shoot pretty dang good! Then again, you pay for that upfront too. Hey, quality don't come cheap.

Now, if you look up Roedale Precision you will see a GS that is well regarded here, and he will tell you straight up he prefers Howa. Are they perfect? NOPE! But they do have a solid 1 piece bolt that wont break off on you! They also have quite a few other design choices / features that make them better by desgin than your average Remington. Facts.

Have a good one,
Gary