• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good brake for 5/8x24 5.56?

RichS

Private
Minuteman
Nov 16, 2001
PG County Maryland
Ok, so one of the barrels I'm looking at is an ARP. They come with a 5/8x24 thread pitch. Are there any "non-gamer" type brakes that are in that thread pitch but made for 5.56? The only one I know of is the Hammerhead (think a Titan but with only two ports) and it seems a little too big for me.

Will the performance of a brake be noticibly less if I use a brake designed for 7.62 on a 5.56?

Why would you buy a .556 barrel with bastard threads??? Only reason I can think of is you have a 30 cal can to half ass share. If you can't afford to play don't play!

I can only assume that by "non-gamer" you mean something smaller. Which of course, equals something far less efficient. They look that way for a reason.

Take a look at the Rainier Arms XTC. It's no much larger than a bird cage, and provides a little braking action and compensation. And it's relatively inexpensive.

Ok, so one of the barrels I'm looking at is an ARP. They come with a 5/8x24 thread pitch. Are there any "non-gamer" type brakes that are in that thread pitch but made for 5.56? The only one I know of is the Hammerhead (think a Titan but with only two ports) and it seems a little too big for me.

Will the performance of a brake be noticibly less if I use a brake designed for 7.62 on a 5.56?
Take a look at these: Muzzle Brakes
Only $30, and meet your criteria.

Why would you buy a .556 barrel with bastard threads??? Only reason I can think of is you have a 30 cal can to half ass share. If you can't afford to play don't play!
Ever wonder why most 5.56 barrels spray 55gr bullets? The groove is .224. The land to land should be .218. Take a .219" inspection pin and slide it into the muzzle of your barrel. Why will a .219 pin fit in a barrel that should be .218"? Does it stop 3/4" in? WHY?
Why are barrels with a target crown usually more accurate than a threaded barrel?

Bustin,
I have not been able to detect any degradation in accuracy for threaded barrels at 5/8x24 on small calibers. My AR's with "bull barrels" in cal. .204 and 5.56 shoot 1/2 moa to extended range in calm conditions. I would not thread for a break but do so for a can. M4 type barrels seem to shoot well but I do wonder about the threads and cuts for grenade launchers. If not launching grenades, see no need for the cuts. Cannot be good for accuracy.

Yeah, there's a reason the barrels are threaded 5/8-24 and we sell the crap out of them.

Jec customs. Yull have to have them make you one because of your threads and caliber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wondered as to the reason for 5/8x24 threads on a 223 barrel. Here is the theory from ARP's website.

NOTICE*** THIS BARREL HAS 5/8-24 threads to keep the bore at the muzzle from swelling like most barrels threaded 1/2-28. The tighter bore at the crown gives better accuracy. Do not use Armalite 308 crush washers, YHM or DPMS 5/8 or 308 crush washers work better.

I was not aware that 1/2x24 threaded 223 barrels experienced "swelling" resulting in accuracy degradation. It looks like ARP sells a couple of "non-gamer" looking 5/8x24 comps. If you get one of their barrels, why not just get a comp from them?