• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good, cheap, sunglasses?

Walsh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2009
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
What are some good sunglasses that are decently cheap, say under $50? I need these glasses to be very durable, I will use these at work which is manual work.

I know that I am not being to precise, but I'd like to hear ya'lls opinions.

Thanks,
P.B.Walsh

Re: Good, cheap, sunglasses?

Good and cheap rarely go hand in hand. I always suggest polarized len's which typically cost more. As much as I hate to suggest, go to wallyworlds optical dept there are some values to be found there.

Try Revision or ESS on egay..they can be had for under 50 bucks with couple lenses.

You can get the new Oakly Five Squared on Ebay for around 50-60$. In my opinion it is one of the best looking and the cheapest oakley. However, if you are looking for safety glasses the M-Frame is the way to go.

I used to wear overpriced Oakleys religously until I got a couple of mouths to feed.

My search for a decent pair ended with a $5.50 product, found here:
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/edge-delano.html

I no longer worry too much about not being able to find my glasses at home or work, I just get in my supply of "disposable" sunglasses and get another pair. The lenses don't scratch easily and they're dark enough for the bright Arizona sun.

the best and most durable sunglasses i've had were dark lens safety glasses. got about three years out of them before the nose piece fell off (really bummed out)

these were given to me by a friend in md. i can't find them anywhere in my area to replace them.

there elvex xenon (has this on the arms)

Ron

Just remember if they are not polarized they are not really protecting your eyes from things like cataracs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wildnv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Costco Has some good ones for $40.00 </div></div>

Costco is a great source for quality name brand SGs. For under $80 you can get a pair of Ray Bans or Maui Jims, with polarized lenses which I find to be far more scratch resistant than the $160+ Oakleys I used to buy.

I've been buying Berkley or FLW fishing sunglasses from WM the last few times. Stylish glasses, with polarized lenses, and prices range from $10-$20. They even have some that have little magnifiers at the bottom of the lenses for older eyes or tiny tasks. I wear them every day.

if your protecting your eyes I say spend what you need to and get a good pair.

uv & polarized lens are a must

Polycarbonate provides a high-level of UV protection naturally. Therefore any poly safety glasses, sunglasses, or other will do this. You don't need expensive glasses to properly protect your eyes. A decent impact rated set of shooting glasses for under $20 provides everything you need. I like to buy shooting glasses by the box. At $10 each, you can ditch them when/if they get scratched or damaged.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: banks74</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jackson Nemesis
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/allsafe-nemesis.html

We use them all the time at work, both shaded and clear. Under $5 a pop. </div></div>

X2.. I used them all the time too.. I usually by 8-10 pairs a clip.. I use them for work, as well as, out in about..

I've always liked Oakleys. I just found some local dealers and tried some on, then searched eBay for some good deals.

I had no idea I could get them half price, I wish I knew that a few weeks ago!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The_Biased_Obser</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I used to wear overpriced Oakleys religously until I got a couple of mouths to feed.

My search for a decent pair ended with a $5.50 product, found here:
http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/edge-delano.html

I no longer worry too much about not being able to find my glasses at home or work, I just get in my supply of "disposable" sunglasses and get another pair. The lenses don't scratch easily and they're dark enough for the bright Arizona sun. </div></div>

You can find Ploarized safety glasses for $30 on that site.. you can beat that.

RJ

I don't skimp on sunglasses - I've only got one pair of eyes...

Look at Promotive.com - you'll need to sign up for a "team" but they have Smith, Rudy Project, Hobie, Serengeti, Native, ESS, etc at pretty good discounts.

They also have Vortex Optics, Vertx clothing, Eberlestock, Suunto, Timex, Spyderco, Benchmade, Kershaw, Gregory, Crimson Trace, etc.. The website is free if you meet some sort of team qualification.

Oh they also have Bushnell spotting scopes, LRFs and binos

Worn these for years and they are awesome... I drop my sunglasses all the time and they go through hell. Very durable and solid safety/sunglasses that are polarized. If you have a local NorCo go in and they usually have them. The one where I'm at doesn't have the polarized ones so I bought a pair of non-polarized and they are definitely not the same.

http://www.safetyglassesusa.com/kazbekxl-polarized.html

Mike

You could check out steepandcheap.com, they always have costas, oakleys, and native glasses for under $50.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: emmagee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">good and cheap generally do not go together. </div></div>

Depends on what your definition of 'cheap' is, and I guess 'good' as well... I consider any sunglasses over $20 to not be cheap, and they're usually good! lol
Mike

I have been converted to Oakleys. I used to buy cheap ($10-$20) sunglasses and would end up breaking them every couple months. I've had the same pair of Oakleys (ok, two pair, Half Jackets for work and Minute 2.0s for play) for almost two years now. Much more durable and better clarity too. Not cheap but deals can be found and IMHO they are worth it.

For everyday I wear Rayban polarized; however, on job-sites glasses have to have the ANSI Z87.1 rating and if you ruin your expensive non rated glasses on the job don't expect the company to pay for them.

I have a number of M-frame lens here, just need to get a set of frames again, all of the ones I had are lost or broken (yes you can break them). In my in MTB racing days I think I must have collected them.

The link above to the safety glasses site with polarized glasses for ~$30 is a good idea.