• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Deal Alert 224 77gr Hpbt bullets from midway

I got a bunch of 77 grain custom comps one time, never again. They tore up pmags bad. Had to use steel mags. Also had feeding issues once the PMAGs got torn up.

I picked up 1000 69 gr blems from them. All of the 22 cals looks good and performed well, but there were 25 cal bullets mixed in. Just pay attention to what you get.

I got a bunch of 77 grain custom comps one time, never again. They tore up pmags bad. Had to use steel mags. Also had feeding issues once the PMAGs got torn up.
How did they tear them up? Were they not seated to mag length?

How did they tear them up? Were they not seated to mag length?
Here are two PMAGs as examples of what was happening.
9AAC2892-6D09-460D-831F-8D26E11D4E36.jpeg

They weren’t loaded to the traditional 2.250 but loaded to 2.260 per Nosler’s data. Measuring CBTO the chamber wanted them much longer but testing them at 2.260 got me what I wanted which was just a solid steel plinking round.

C2B68A39-F710-4511-AE2A-B1304F5179F8.jpeg

These were the first two out of the mag, first one was right on the numbers but second one was long so show that. These were reloaded with Dillon dies so +/- should be fairly consistent for CBTO but tip variance this is still pretty good IMHO.

D2630EBF-C612-4397-B2B2-78BB6FCEAF57.jpeg

One thing to note is the custom comps feel sharper than SMKs, it is noticeable. I’m not trash talking the product at all, we harvested several deer and hogs last year with these, children even shot some matches. They just didn’t seem to get along with poly mags for me. If you want to seat them shorter maybe you’d get better results with the mags but by that point I would think you’ll be way off the lands so potentially more barrel ware than normal(?).

Last edited:
These are definitely not SMKs

Each measure .030 shorter OAL

Base to ogive on a SMK is .607
Base to ogive on these are .574

I've seen different lots of SMK's vary that much

Wow, that‘s pretty significant. Ive never sorted my SMKs, maybe I should?!?
Been thinking about a Hollands Bullet sorter; just not excited about measuring 4K plus!

Has anyone bought these Midway 77 gr seconds recently and shot them? It's 19c per bullet, currently free shipping.