• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good deal on LC M118 LR should I get it???

gyz77

Lieutenant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2009
Great State of TEXAS
I have found some 06-08 LC M118 LR. What would be a good price and I've heard some years are not good?? I did a search and couldn't find what I was looking for!! Thanks guys!!!

Re: Good deal on LC M118 LR should I get it???

No more than .70 cents a round. If it has been in decent temp controlled enviroments it should be ok. If 118LR gets subjected to high temp. like a conex overseas etc. The powder degrades and starts picking up alot of pressure. The more or longer it gets baked the worse it gets. There are good and bad sublots not so much good and bad years of production. You would have to get some and run it for accuracy before buying alot of it. LR is rougher on gas guns than most others rounds out there. It tends to have higher port pressures and runs them alot harder.

I will be shooting this out of an SR25 EMC. It's sealed in ammo cans so I know it's real just wanting to find out a good price and if it's still some of the best. I read online somewhere that some of the LC stuff was not up to par!!

If I were you, I'd take a look at what the Hide vendors have to offer such as McCourt Munitions, Copper Creek, Palmetto State, and Southwest Ammo.

I picked up 200rds of FGMM .308 175smk for $18.99/box from Palmetto State and you won't find lesser priced factory FGMM anywhere you look.

How was it stored? Is it factory seconds/blems?

You can buy LC match brass and make your own version of it for less $$$ and a bit of elbow grease you know...

I have 2k rounds of 168gr FGMM. I have some 175gr and my gun seems to shoot better with the 175s. This has all been stored indoors in the upper new England states so it should be good. I'll see what I can get him down too. I figured if I got it at a good price and it didnt shoot well in my 16" guns then I could pass it along to other hide members for a good deal. Thanks!!

I reload but don't mind buying If I can't load it for what I find it for. I don't have tons of spare time to reload. Time is my problem right now. I have some match brass but when I get spare time I want to shoot!! Not sit in the garage and reload. That's how I decide if I want to buy.

Honestly, I'd have to be skeptical. With ammo being deployed like it is, finding NEW M118LR sealed in cans like that, for a GOOD price, something seems fishy. Maybe like XM80C from Federal, that just doesn't shoot "quite as well" as military surplus. You can tell me it's the same all day, but it just doesnt shoot like it. Chances are if its to good to be real, it aint.

It's sealed in 50cal ammo cans with all the correct markings and lead seal?? Not sure how it wouldn't be legit?? I know there is all kinds of counterfit items but this looks real to me.

I got 1000 rounds of it in a somewhat sketchy condition. Shot about 1.5 MOA out of my rifle that normally shoots .5. I gave some to my friend with a faster twist barrel. He put 20 rounds in one group under 1".

Rounds were loosely packed (poorly) in a cardboard box. Headstamps 04-07.

those cans can get issued opened and reasealed, it can also be a sublot that did not pass LOT acceptance

I had the same problem lennyo. Couldn't hold a tight group, but I mostly saw it affect my cold bore.

OP, I wouldn't pay more than $10/box. Or hit the last day of a local gun show and party about half that if you but a bunch

I'd say that if it is real LC LR, then you got a rifle that will shoot it pretty darn good. It would be worth it.

I just picked up a bunch and it's a laserbeam in my 20" Rem 700 5R 1x10 consistent .5 MOA out of it. THis is a 6 shot group yesterday at 200yds with 3 called flyers. I say test it first in a small lot too, My Buddies 24" 5R like it out to 300 but hates it past 700 where mine Stays .5-.75 MOA out to 1K if I do my job.

200yds

Untitled by Practical Tactical Firearms, on Flickr

1K-The 5 on the right of the center dot are mine(it's a full sise IPSC Steel)

Untitled by Practical Tactical Firearms, on Flickr