• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Deal or Keep Looking?

OceanTackle

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2011
Guys,

I'm shopping for my 1st tactical rig. Same ole' story... Looking for something to shoot out to 6-800yds and double as a long range hunting rifle. I'm leaning towards Remmington due to easy to find parts and gunsmithing.

I found what looks to be a nice starting point, but I wanted some opinions. This is a consignment deal, so it's not been easy to get exact info on it.

Rem 700 PSS w/ 26" Factory Barrel

- Factory HS Precision, looks like they tried to paint it and traded out the recoil pad for a limbsaver

- Only slight wear on the barrel where it would rest in a safe or gun rack

- Tac Ops (or similar) Bolt knob

- Badger Ord Rail

The owner claims to have bought this new 2 years ago and had Remington's custom shop add the Badger Rail, Tac Knob, Paint the stock, and whatever Rem does as a trigger job. The trigger and safety are now silver and do not look like other Rem triggers on the new guns. It breaks clean with just the absolute slightest amt of creep (I couldn't feel it, but could see it). Claims it to be a safe queen that was taken out twice last year for deer hunting.

All for $750

What do you guys think? Jump on this deal or keep looking?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Good Deal or Keep Looking?

I wasn't aware that Rem's Custom shop did bolt knobs but I haven't been tracking them lately either.

For 100.00 more you could get a brand new one to start with; I would save my pennies up.

good deal if you could verify performance before purchase, if it fell into the lucky 10% of perfomance for a mostly factory rig it would likely be sold to a friend, not consigned, if you cannot verify performance than as stated above, take your chances on a new one

plenty of deals come up here for sale, problem is you need to be ready to roll (as a newbie be ready to offer immediate paypal and have an FFL ready to be used) true deals will sell with backups in a half hour or less and there is no obligation for a seller to commit to an iffy buyer even if they are "first"

I want to buy new as well, but I'd lose out on the Tac Ops knob and the Badger rail. If I'm not mistaken, that adds about $200-250 to the rifle...

Most PSS rifles sell for $750 and (slightly) up here in the second-hand market. That's sight un-seen, just taking the (typically honest) seller's word for things. At least this way, you can see and handle what you're buying before you buy, plus there's no shipping costs/hassles, and no FFL transfer fees involved. If I were in the market for a PSS, I'd buy it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: csi:cyberspace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Most PSS rifles sell for $750 and (slightly) up here in the second-hand market. That's sight un-seen, just taking the (typically honest) seller's word for things. At least this way, you can see and handle what you're buying before you buy, plus there's no shipping costs/hassles, and no FFL transfer fees involved. If I were in the market for a PSS, I'd buy it. </div></div>

I second that.

I try to avoid selling guns whenever possible, although I do trade now and again. The ones I part with are generally the ones that don't shoot. Unless the accuracy is known, I think I'd keep looking.

Thats not to bad of buy. If the bore looks good and it don't look its had a ton of rounds threw it i would not be afraid to buy it. Thats one of Remingtons up line rifles so she will shoot. Its a plus with no papers as well and your seeing what your getting.

I say buy it. You could save a little more and buy new but whats to say the new one is going to be a shooter. Its a 50-50 crap shoot either way. I bought my vssf from a local pawn shop and I scored.