• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

good deal or not?

skydive91

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2009
Iowa City, Iowa
In my local gun shop there is a Winchester 70 "Stealth" in .243 win with what I think is a harris bipod and springfield armory tactical scope for $700 dollars. Is this a good price or not? and would this be a good entry level LR rifle.

Re: good deal or not?

.243 is a great caliber to start with. I have a 308 and am thinking of going to a 243 for ballistic purposes. As for the Winchester I'm not a huge guy to talk to there. I would prefer to go with a Rem 700 of some sort due to the aftermarket items. The scope I have no clue also. The 243 will do more than you ask if your a beginner at LR shooting. I bought a Rem 700 PSS and love it. Upgrading as I go instead of having to buy a new gun when I want to. Hopefully someone else can give you some info on the Scope and rifle. Also putting a price on a gun with a scope is hard because none of us can see the condition of the rifle or scope.

rifle is nice, scope sucks but has reasonable resale on gunbroker (overall good deal). make sure the 243 is at least a 9 twist barrel any slower and it will only be good for hunting and varmint bullets.

The rifle is in great condidtion from what I can tell and the gun shop has a 30 day shoot and if you dont like it return it no questions asked policy. as for the scope I would for sure change it out when looking through it it wasnt very unclear and had weird discolorations

Setting price aside you'd do better with a caliber with a little more power. .308 Win is based upon the same case but because it shoots heavier bullets it has a little longer range potential.

A model 70 is a good rifle but there are more after market stocks and options with a Remington 700.

One advantage of a .243 is that its a light recoiling starter for big game, read deer etc. There are some heavy(105 gr) LR type bullets for this but the factory twist rate for this is too fast.

If the emphasis on LR shooting, you may want to keep looking.

I want to say most factory Win 70 in 243 has a 10 twist barrel. I have a Win 70 coyote lite and it's a 10 twist. I've been able to shoot up to 95 grain pills with good results. The new Hornday 95 SST superformance done well in it also. I'd say if you like the rilfe get it. Replace the scope and get a 20moa rail. Run it until the barrel start downhill then you can set it up with a 7.7 or 8 twist and run the 115gr pills.

When you start wondering if its a good deal, do some figuring.
How much is scope worth? You didn't give us enough info. What kind of rings and base are on it and what are they worth? Harris Bipod? Now the naked rifle? Was $700 "Out the Door"? Add sum of the parts. Now is it a good deal? Nearly all pkgs are worth more and easier to sell parted out. krw

I think the scope is springfield armory tactical, as far as it being a package deal im not sure, I will have to ask I am guessing they wouldnt sell the scope seperatley though. Right now I have a tikka t3 like .270wsm and its fun to hunt with but not very practical for LR because after about 20 rounds my shoulder starts to become sore(very light).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skydive91</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Right now I have a tikka t3 like .270wsm and its fun to hunt with but not very practical for LR because after about 20 rounds my shoulder starts to become sore(very light). </div></div>

Why don't you remove the recoil pad and put 8oz lead(or more) or a recoil reducer in the stock.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=0/k=r...=recoil_reducer

That and a good recoil pad:
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=25009/sku/1_00__Medium_Black_Leather_Face

That should fix up a 150 gr VLD Berger to a tolerable recoil and leave you with $600 to upgrade the existing scope on what you have.

I have a recoil pad already but the lead weight is something I will have to check out thanks for the information.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skydive91</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the scope is springfield armory tactical, as far as it being a package deal im not sure, I will have to ask I am guessing they wouldnt sell the scope seperatley though. Right now I have a tikka t3 like .270wsm and its fun to hunt with but not very practical for LR because after about 20 rounds my shoulder starts to become sore(very light). </div></div>
It is a pkg for sale for $700. What can you part it out for?

As others have said, dump the scope, the dealer probably won't split them up and even if it would, I doubt he'd knock too much off, you'd do better selling it on your own. That said, the M70 Stealth's are generally good shooters, and assuming it is in decent condition, $700 is a pretty good buy for the rifle alone, the bipod and anything you can sell the scope for is just icing on the cake. Even if it turns out that it will not shoot up to your expectations, it would be a good rifle to have re-barreled. I have Stealth's in .308 and .22-250, the .308 is a great shooter, and I just picked up the .22-250, I'm confident it will be a good shooter once I find a load it likes.