• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Gunsmith? Who's best for 5R 223?

JoshcBoucher

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2011
Northern Delaware.
Hey guys. I bought a 5r, in 223, that has a "screwed up" chamber. Literally, it looks like some one used a screw driver to extract a stuck case. The gun was supposed to be new. I was going to have some "work", done to it, anyway, so I'm looking for a direction to go. Want to have the chamber shortened cause ,as we all know, 5R's have a long throat. Want to make her a "great shooter". The suggestion was to send the gun back to Remington, but I thought not. They're just going to say "some one else screwed it up". Been there, before. Suggestions? I've been shooting "of the shelf" guns. This will be my first, to have work done. Shorten the chamber, true it up...etc.

Using one of the well-known SH gunsmiths might be a problem, simply because they are busy doing complete builds. My suggestion is cheap and easy: try shooting the rifle as is and see how it performs. The shortened throat you want would require re-reaming the chamber anyway and take care of the damage. There might be a capable local gunsmith in your area, wherever that is (none shown in your profile).

Last edited:
I have a 24" 5r in 223.
My chamber was rough.
I sent it to SAC. No frills not much fluff. Fixed. Shoots too good.
He has the reamer and expertise.
Worth it completely.

I second taking it out to shoot, my 5r 223 was anything but long... wish it was so I had more powder room running the loads I use in my rem 20" tactical version for 1k...

Thanks Guy's. I'll shoot her, and see. Then check out a smith. Most of the "damage", is on the Face of the chamber, where the bolt closes on the shell It might not be a problem, as to the function of the gun, but it looks like "sh-t", and not what my guns are supposed to look like.