• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Good Handgun mounted laser + flashlight combo?

dtkutchu

Private
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2010
Macomb, MI
I am purchasing a S&W M&P40 in 2 weeks, and seeing as it will be primarily used for the range and home defense, I am looking to get a flashlight/laser combo to mount to the front. I saw a NcSTAR AQPFLS laser/flashlight at the local gun store, and thought that it was a pretty good option. Has anyone tried these? Does anyone know of another good one I should look in to? I am hoping to keep this under $200.

Thanks

Devin

Re: Good Handgun mounted laser + flashlight combo?

200 for a light/laser combo is kind of a pipe dream if you want it to hold up.

I would spring for a TLR-2 or Surefire X-400

Surefire X400. A bit out of the 200 dollar price range but the things are pretty much bomb proof and Surefire's customer service is topnotch.

And whatever you do, stay away from NCstar. Great for airsoft, but crap for anything else. I also don't think you need a laser.
When you really think about it, with just a laser and no light, you still cant see what the laser is on: useless. With a light on, you can see your sights...so why do you need the laser now?
Just get the light, save money or get high quality for same price as laser/light.

I think I may end up going with the TLR2 based on the opinions here. The main reason I wanted to get the laser was to help find the most stable grip and posture for myself while practicing without live ammunition. I was thinking that it could help me work on my stability and ultimately accuracy while at home. Every move you make with the gun will be extrapolated out to 25+ feet, and working with a laser at home will help reduce my overall movement and help track any bad movement habits I may form. Anyone agree with this rationale, or would it offer very little in the area of practice? I know that shooting at the range with experienced people provides the best practice, but it isn't always an option for me.

I have a Veridian X5L on my XDM and it has held up well, plus the green laser visibility is head and shoulders above any red unit I've seen

First, I would like to give my recommendation with the x300. Yes it has no laser, but it is a bulletproof light.

Second, why does no law enforcement agency run them? (I realize that is a restrictive statement and some Sheriff that works with the ass clowns from sons of guns probably has a laser mounted to an M60 on an a helicopter.) Couple factors here, mostly liability and courtroom testimony on why you did not merely wound suspect but killed him and had a laser. Really think about what I just wrote, tell me most juror's would not expect that. Save your money.

Third, as a training tool put a coin on front sight. If you can't do that put it on the slide and work your way up. Next shoot the damn thing. Tools do not make the shooter. The shooter uses the simple machine. Find some real training and don't look to cops,ninja's or YouTube for training tips. Look for someone competent and with resources. Not LEO bashing as I am one myself but some of the worst shooters I have met Are LEO's.

Have fun. Headed to the range today with 23 recruits.

Charlie

PS BUY NOTHING THAT SAYS NcStar.

TLR-1, forget the lasers. I have seen more LEOs telegraph their position by beaming the laser all over the place than anything else. I have a light on my weapon to allow me to shoot two handed while illuminating the target. I do not use it to help me aim. As Deputy Dawg put it, just learn to shoot. If you are in an honest to goodness gunfight, you are not going to want to be trying to discern your laser from all the other straps' lasers beaming around.

My duty weapon is a sig p226R.....I carry an M6X (insight technologies) light/laser combo with it everywhere I go. Someone mentioned that lasers are useless because they telegraph your position, well, even using led or white light will telegraph your position.

Lesson to be learned : use short controlled bursts with your light or laser. If you have a target acquired and have him in control then you can paint the perp with all night long.

As long as the lamp puts out at least 200 lumens it will do the job but for $200 your going to be looking at chinese made junk that will take a dump on you after you run a mag or two through the gun with the light attached. Make sure you buy mil-spec.

I use a surefire x400 with a dg grip switch. The laser is a big benefit at night, especially in compromised positions, but I'm not sure it doesn't screw me up otherwise. Follow up shots certainly aren't as fast, and it messes up my sight picture if I see the laser when trying to use the sights. I probably could train around it a bit more.

Insight MX6 user here. Gets whored out to the range weapon of the day. Sits on the bump in the night gun. 100% solid.

I use the Insight m6 light/laser and pressure switch on a USP as my bedside gun. Trijicon tritium sight post for when I want to aim without giving anything away. Leave it set with both the light and laser on, although I aim with the sights. I don't like that you use your trigger finger to turn on the light in most systems, as mentioned above you end up leaving the light or laser on instead of using it in bursts. The pressure switch has worked great for me on the grip.

I have never had a problem with the streamlight TLR-2 or TLR-1, I own both. I would look for the strobe version they are brighter. I don't use the TLR-2 as much but I have a TLR-1 mounted to both my home defense handgun and my ar-15 and they are great. and like others have said don't buy NCstar I know a lot people that have regretted buying them.

If you must have a light and a laser, I don't think you can go wrong with Streamlight in that price range. I have a TLR-1 and it has taken all sorts of abuse.