• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good, inexpensive chronograph?

What do you consider inexpensive? Traditional chronos get expensive if you shoot one of the sensors. A day at the range when you don't have enough light is expensive. Inaccurate readings are expensive and so on. The MagnetoSpeed overcomes these problems while additionally displaying avg, SD, etc. and allowing you to download data to your computer. Now that there is a third update, you may be able to buy one of the originals or second series at a favorable price. Check earlier threads on these and you will be sold on the value.

The Chrony F1 is about the cheapest at ~$80. If this is something you plan to use often the MagnetoSpeed is really the best option, albeit quite a bit more expensive.

I'm thinking $100 or less. I won't be using it a ton, just want to get some baseline numbers for a few rifles.

I'm thinking $100 or less. I won't be using it a ton, just want to get some baseline numbers for a few rifles.

The cheap one wont give you accurate "baseline" numbers. Your hard earned money will be wasted on a chrony F1. That is my experience. Buy once cry once.

Before I shot my optical chrono (repeatedly) I just loved going to the range with a bunch of test loads and finding out that my Chrony didn't want to work on that particular day. Now that I have a MagnetoSpeed, I do not have to worry about that anymore. $100 for something that works 25% of the time, or $350 for something that works 100% of the time. Just as the guy above offered, I'm sure you can find a cheap used Chrony from someone who has upgraded so you can learn the frustration firsthand.

Been looking at chronographs myself. I think it's best just to save up for a Magnetospeed but...ouch it's spendy. Nothing about this game is cheap LOL.

You're better off not using a chronograph than using a cheap chronograph. Load work can be done without a chrony and velocity can be attained by truing your drop values. A cheap chrony will just give you a false sense of security as far as knowing your true velocity.

Good inexpensive crony. Better luck finding a unicorn!!!!! Temp 9 hit the nail on the head your better off without. The cheapest I would buy would be the magnetospeed. I have the latest version and love it. You may be able to find someone parting with one of the older version units they work just as good. I also have an ohler 35P very good unit but need the correct light conditions. It does work in almost any light condition that will cast a shadow. I like the ohler for load development because it isn't on the barrel. Bottom line don't waist your money on cheap.

Any suggestions?

I have a Competition Electronics. Works great. I did a back to back test with my buddys Chrony and even mid day in shadow my CE would pick up shots. The chrony would miss or give crazy readings like 100ft/s high or low when light wasn't just right. It may take up a smaller footprint but every time my friend sets his up it takes longer.

Get a Competition Electronics pro chrono. Best thing you could get other than a kestral imo as far as gear goes. Knowing bullet velocity, wind and range to target are the 3 components of gear that get you on target other than exercising the fundamentals.

You're better off not using a chronograph than using a cheap chronograph. Load work can be done without a chrony and velocity can be attained by truing your drop values. A cheap chrony will just give you a false sense of security as far as knowing your true velocity.

Amen to this!!!

Oehler 35P, if you can find one. I belong to the group who has not yet shot their skyscreens. I have the printer so I get a paper record to tape into my book. The acceptance "eye" is big. Its old and a little ugly but it works great.

Oehler 35P are being made. I bought mine about a year ago after using too many cheap chrony,s to list. Find a buddy that needs one also and go in together. Or just do without. I would be lost without it now for load development. Have seen rifles shoot groups under 1/2 " at 100 yrds but the speed varied over 90 fps. I don't know how? Don't care just that I found it with the tools I had. If I didn't have it I would just have to shoot at a greater distance for load development. Short range close to house long range is a couple hours.

The cheap one wont give you accurate "baseline" numbers. Your hard earned money will be wasted on a chrony F1. That is my experience. Buy once cry once.

Exactly why I purchased an Oehler 35P. Also how are people shooting their Chronos? The hole is rather large to be doing that.

Last edited:
CED pro chrono digital. Works great and accurate. Lots of matches uses them and their numbers routinely match mine.

CED pro chrono digital. Works great and accurate. Lots of matches uses them and their numbers routinely match mine.
Me too. I checked a lot of reviews and this is the only "budget" model that rated well. I was interested in the Magneto but I could not convince myself that a weight hanging on the barrel would not affect the harmonics and shooting results. Didn't want to risk it and I am pleased with the CED; also made in US with parts available.

Every one that I ever saw was set up correctly except for one little detail. The last check should be, pull the bolt and look through that shiny hole. If you don't see your target, reconsider. In every case I saw where someone blew up their chronograph, they didn't do that last little step.

To answer the OP, the Pro Chrono Digital from Competition Electronics will do what you want.

It is good and it is inexpensive.

I think having something is better than nothing. I am not as confident in it as I was my 35P but it gives me #'s that are where I am expecting and mine has been very consistent.

I have a CED M2 chronograph and satisfied with it. I tried my friend's magnetospeed and had to take the brake off my AI AT as he couldn't get it secured properly with the tactical muzzle brake. Nothing is perfect all chrono's seem to have some issues. The CED takes about 10 mins longer to set up but I don't have to take my brake off to use it.

I have a shooting chrony Beta and it has shown itself to be as accurate as a CED and a magnetospeed. Also have seen an F1 work just as accurately. Unless you need advanced functions/capabilities I think you will be happy with one.

Good and cheap are mutually exclusive terms. If your not paying the highest price possible you are getting worthless junk and your groups will be worse than a hungover Fudd's who just drank a gallon of coffee and is wearing choppers. But once (at the highest possible price), cry once.

Seriously / what Woodlanddude said. Chrong Beta has always worked fine for me. I've got other things to blow money on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk