• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

good load for 16 inch 308

FNBasham

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2014
I just recently purchased a 16.5 inch Remington 700 in 308 it has a 1 in 10 twist I was wondering which loads would give me the longest realistic range. does anybody have any experience with 175 lapua scenar L bullets?

I've played with 178, 190, 175 smk but not with the Ls. You should be able to get 175s to 2600 or so...maybe out to 900 yds depending on altitude?

Mine will push 168 amax to 2600. Might be a tad hot compared to most loads I have seen but I worked up higher and didn't see pressure.

Hodgdon data list 46 grains of varget as max for 168 sierra and hornady list max at 44. I'm at 45.7. Lclr brass and cci primers. Primers may be starting to flatten out and a hint of ejector swipe on the edge of the rim but no imprint. I think this is more due to the brass needing sized a hair more. It seems to have some spring back. Some chambers a lot like when I used to neck size and was ready for a bump. As soon as I buy an annealing machine I am going to try it on these.

edit... don't trust my load. Work up to your max, bla bla... mine are seated long and off the lands still. Might be a hot one!

Last edited:
I just recently purchased a 16.5 inch Remington 700 in 308 it has a 1 in 10 twist I was wondering which loads would give me the longest realistic range. does anybody have any experience with 175 lapua scenar L bullets?

Mine likes 130gr MK's pushed almost to pressure with IMR 3031, It also throws the 147FMJBT's to 600 very well with 3031.

175 smk 178 bthp 178 amax with some Power Pro 2000mr 46.5-49 grains depending on the brass you use. Federal , Lake City , Nosler will reach pressures sooner than Winchester or Lapua brass. Enjoy the results.

Do you have a part number on the 130 MK? I'm not seeing them on the Sierra site.

2123 is what the box says they are 135's not the 130 I fat fingered and did not proof, my bad. They shoot very very will to 800yds on a lite wind day, to 600 they run with my 22" Pac-Nor with 175SMK's but about 650-75 I start seeing the change. Winchester 147FMJBT's run as well to 600 at just under pressure but they will pencil threw a animal is what I've found.
Love my 16.5 inch, it's a good all around stick for close/mid range even with barriers. Next re-barrel will be another 16" as well.

Thanks Gunfighter14e2 I will check them out. I'm loading for a 16" AR10, I have a TAP155 clone (155 AMAX) but it's not as fast as the M80s so I have to hold high with the 3.5x acog. I'm looking for something light and fast that's a better matchup for the 308 reticle at range, without giving up too much BC. 135s might be the ticket.

Thanks Gunfighter14e2 I will check them out. I'm loading for a 16" AR10, I have a TAP155 clone (155 AMAX) but it's not as fast as the M80s so I have to hold high with the 3.5x acog. I'm looking for something light and fast that's a better matchup for the 308 reticle at range, without giving up too much BC. 135s might be the ticket.

You might try fudging the ACOG zero some, unless your looking for close Tee box shots. I've done it with other BDC's and it works better than not.