• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Low Light & Low Magnification Hunting Scope???

tsu45

Private
Minuteman
May 15, 2011
I need a scope for a specific use: hunting in dense Louisiana forest. Looking for something that has good light gathering/transmission for dawn and dusk and a low power range given there isn’t a shot available over 200 yards. I would just slap a 1-6 LPVO on it but think I needed a bigger objective lense to help with the light.

Anyone have a favorite for something like this? Non-capped elevation turret would be a plus for subsonic shooting.

What's your budget?

Flexible. I hunted probably 20 times last year so my time investment eclipses it pretty quickly. I don’t mind paying for nice equipment if I use it that much.

Given the range and function ... I'd ask if digital NV scope might work for you... I think they suck compared to thermal for when it's dark, but for shooting day or Twilight in the woods edge it might work

Yeah it and the smaller minox are on the list of possibles. Have both their big brothers and they have been good.
I got my older Helia KX 3.5-10x50 in a trade about 10 years ago, and it's been a great scope for a 1" tube. Wish I could afford to upgrade to the K318i... But, you know, Creepy Joe and his "wonder economy" has manage to fuck that up. 😡

Reactions: Charlie112
I got my older Helia KX 3.5-10x50 in a trade about 10 years ago, and it's been a great scope for a 1" tube. Wish I could afford to upgrade to the K318i... But, you know, Creepy Joe and his "wonder economy" has manage to fuck that up. 😡
Let’s Go Brandon or not, they were pretty expensive last year too.

Last edited:
Let’s Go Brandon or not, they were pretty expensive last year too.
Yeah, but financially, I was doing a hell of a lot better last year, than this year... That "15 days to flatten the curve" sure turned into a full-blown nazi communist dictatorship pretty quickly, didn't it..."Get the jab, or you lose everything, including the ability to work!" Some of us saw it coming, but the unwashed masses and sheep didn't understand the carrot dangling in front of their face...And unfortunately, there's WAY more sheep than wolves these days. 😡

Anyway, back to the thread, never intended to derail...

I got out of that scope and into the S&B. The NX8 has a lot going for it, but unless you like spinning parallax you probably will be underwhelmed.

Are the Polar and the Ultra Bright essentially the same thing with different reticle and turret options?