• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Good, medium mag hunting/tactical scope

TacosGigante

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2013
VA
Question: What are some good FFP tactical scopes in the medium mag range (low end 2-3x) that would work well for a deer hunting rig? Looking for good light transmission, not super heavy, usable reticle at low mag for point shooting, and not a real finicky eye box at low mag (or ideally at all).

Budget: probably around $2500 max, but if the correct answer exceeds that I may be able to stretch.

Background: I was going to put a Leupold VX-5 2-10 on the hunting rifle I am building but then two things happened:

1. I started to wonder if I was losing some versatility by not going FFP; and

2. my wife expressed interest in the scope

I plan to use this gun primarily in WV but given how the land is set up there is the possibility of a couple of long shots (300-600 yards), plan to take it out west, and if so inclined may use it for tactical style shooting as well. Currently expect to use 6.5CM but may go 300WSM.

thanks!

Last edited:
Sounds like NF NX8 2.5-20 would best fit your criteria. Other options you’ll be either dropping some more $ with a S&B Exos or Kahles K318i. Or there’s always a gen2 razor but that’s gonna be a big bump in weight

Reactions: TacosGigante
Look at the Leupold Mark 5 HD 3-18X44.

CS Tactical has the new ones on sale.

I have one with the gunwerk reticle and it works very well.

Reactions: TacosGigante
Sounds like NF NX8 2.5-20 would best fit your criteria. Other options you’ll be either dropping some more $ with a S&B Exos or Kahles K318i. Or there’s always a gen2 razor but that’s gonna be a big bump in weight

Thanks! I was looking at the NX8 but the reviews I saw talked a lot about narrow eyeboxes and difficulty getting a good picture unless you were in a perfect position. If this only applies at the upper end of the mag range it isn't that big a deal, but if it applies lower that may present issues hunting.

I would love to use a Kahles and actually have a 3-18 I bought for another rifle that has been trapped in development hell. The problems there are the weight and the fact that the SKMR 3 reticle is a little thin at the lowest power.