• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

good powder for 9mm and 45acp?

o1sick7

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2009
utah
What's up fellas. I have been using hs-6 powder for a little while now and like it. But for the grn of bulltes I like there isn't always an option for hs6. So I was wondering if there is a good universal powder that would work for my needs. I like the xtp's in 147gn for the 9mm and in the 200gn in the 45. Any input would help thanks.

Re: good powder for 9mm and 45acp?

147gr 9's fly well with PowerPistol, you might also try Blue Dot, but I've used Unique too. The PP works very nicely for subsonic rounds.

Bullseye is the old standard for 45's. You can use it in 9's as well.

Best bet, try Hodgdon's data center and Alliant's online data for the two of them.

There's also a handgun caliber loading thread in the Reloading Subforum here.

v-340 has been my go to powder in 9mm, 40cal and 45acp for years and works well in those bullet weights, hard cast lead, plated and jacketed.

Accur 5 is another but it genneral doesn't reach as high of a velocity if you are looking to meet a power factor for match.

There are many powders that will work well depending on the purpose for the loads. HS-6 is on the slow side for a 45...faster powders will generate less felt recoil. Unique might be a good choice for a dual purpose powder. Solo 1000 is popular in match circles...it's single base and very clean burning... WST... it's a long list.

TC

231 is nice and soft in the 9 under 147gr bullets. I use 3.5 grains under a Remington FMJ loaded to 1.150" OAL. According to my reloading manual, 3.6grs under a 147XTP loaded to 1.135 is max.

It is also excellent for the 45. Five to six grains under pretty much all of the bullet weights works great.

listen to Niles. VV-340 is an excellent, case-filling, slower burning powder that will provide high velocities, low flash, and excellent accuracy. It's all i use for 9 & 45.

And this is why I love this forum!! You guys are bad asses and always willing to help.

I too find that Titegroup works well in both 9mm and 45 acp. I have used it and vihtavori but the titegroup is a good bit cheaper so its what I use 95% of the time. I have been loading 3.4 gr titegroup under a 147gr hornady bullet and its a nice reduced power load for 9mm.

solo 1000 for my moly 9mm load.
Lots of guys using it for 9mm, .40, and .45

W231, Unique, even Red Dot works well for both 9x19 and 45ACP.

Titegroup also works but it leaves so much empty space that there is definitely the chance of not catching a double-charge and seems to burn HOT.

VV-320 is very nice and consistant for both

Recently had pretty good success w/ powerpistol in 9, 40, 45, and 357sig...

Power Pistol for both calibers for me.

Clays, if I'm introducing new shooters to the sport.

I second 35WLN's recommendation.

I have used VV n310 and n320 in both 9mm and 45. 310 is a bit too fast for my liking. It makes great bullseye 45 loads with a cast 185 or 200 SWC. Since I have gone 100% to 9mm I only use 320 at this point. It is a little safer than 310 and make a very soft load under 147s. I use zero's 147JHPs with 3.4 grains of 320. Does a 130 powerfactor from a Glock 17 with a Barsto barrel.

Hodgdon Universal made hare called Ap70N or a seccond choice is Alliant Unique they are so close to being hte same the data will work from one to the other if not to hot. the 45acp is easy as it will work with faster powders well but the 9mm is better with a slightly slower powder as it runs at higher pressure but both will push a 9mm 125 over 1000fps and a 230gr 45 at 800fps making it the best powder to use. Universal burns a lot cleaner than Unique so it was the first choice for me as a powder for multiple calibres. i have used universal in, 9mm, 40, 10mm, 38spl, 357, 41mag, 44spl, 44mag, 45acp, 455 Webbly, 45colt that is why it is called universal as it will cycle semi autos and work with medium loads well in most revolvers. it will not be the best for hot handgun loads but gives good performance in most pistol calibres.

The Universal Pistol Powder would be be Unique. Are there better options? For me N320 is my choice. But, there are other other options like 231/HP38, N340, TG works well, too, as does Universal Clays.

win 231 is what i use on all my cal, 9mm, 40sw and 45acp. good groups for me