• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Ranges in SoCal

lfrotter

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2009
Caldwell, TX
Just recently got stationed back out in Pendleton and wanted to know of any good long range ranges to be found semi locally. Gonna be searching for some but just wanted to know if anyone had any preferences. Or knew of ones that had employees that were more helpful than a hinderance. Thanks.

Re: Good Ranges in SoCal

The closest that I know of is Pala, about 25 miles east of Pendleton on Highway 76:

NCSA Pala

You can also try the West End Gun Club, but it's a bit of a hike (about an hour away, near Corona):

West End Gun Club

Several years ago I went shooting with some friends on national forest land, but I have no idea where exactly it was. This link is a bit dated, but may have some good info:

National Forest

Finally, you can shoot on base, depending on the range schedule:

Santa Margarita Gun Club

Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Boog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just recently got stationed back out in Pendleton and wanted to know of any good long range ranges to be found semi locally. Gonna be searching for some but just wanted to know if anyone had any preferences. Or knew of ones that had employees that were more helpful than a hinderance. Thanks. </div></div>
I don't know your area, except Pala, which <span style="font-style: italic">PhrogDriver</span> mentioned. Pala happens to be a great range pretty close to you, and is located on the Pala Indian Reservation. One of the Clubs that shoots at Pala is the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"North County Shootist Association"</span></span>, and <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="color: #FF0000">here</span></span></span>, is a page on the NCSA web site with directions to the Pala Range and a map of the area.

Its' a great range - I wish it was closer to me instead of two hours <span style="font-style: italic">without traffic</span>. There is a covered firing line with a concrete walkway - you can shoot prone or off a bench from 50 yards out to 890 yards from the same spot. The steel is placed at odd (not even 50 and 100 yard increments) all the way out to 890, which makes it fun to estimate distances. Theres' dirt in front of the walkway so you can easily preload a bipod in the dirt when shooting prone. I recommend that you have a 9-12" bipod for shooting at the furthest targets, as they are placed on a mountainside at a fairly steep angle. Either that or have something on hand to raise the muzzle substantially.

Not to split hairs, but for you sticklers' out there - I measured the furthest steel on the main hill at "885", but the photo on the NCSA "Home" page lists the furthest targets as "887". Respectfully, I'll believe the multiple readings of 885 yards that my Swarovski LG30 measured over the Range Master's mid-range Bushnell.

Anyway, the only problem with the Pala Range is that LE and military use it a lot for training, <span style="font-weight: bold">so even Club members can only access the range on Mondays and Fridays, or on the FIRST Saturday and FIRST Sunday from 1-3 PM and on the THIRD and FOURTH Sundays from 1-3 PM, when the respective matches for that day are over.</span> See the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">"Range Calendar"</span></span> for specifics.

Keith

http://www.dmrpc.org/

Here is our club near Acton CA, we hold 1000 yard matches 6 times a year. probably 1.5 to 2 hr drive for you, would love to see you there. Matches are open to the public, no membership necessary. but after a few matches most guys join up it is 100 for initiation and 60 per year after, nice place in the mountains with a nice campground. SH