• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Red Dot for Lever Gun?

FourT6and2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
I saw the other recent thread about red dots on pistols, but I'm thinking of getting one for a novelty lever action I'm putting together. Purpose is literally just for a fun toy. I won't be hunting or carrying it for any real purpose. It's one of those silly modern lever gun builds on a Marlin 1895 Trapper in 45-70. Max range will be 300 yards, if that. So I don't need a scope. Maybe I'll a magnifier on at some point, but not any time soon.

I've looked at a ton of options online and my initial short list is Aimpoint Acro P2, T2 Micro (I used to have one on an AR years ago), Holosun 510 or 512, or maybe Trijicon RMR 2, HD, or SRO. But I think those Trijicons are mostly intended for pistols. I'm also a bit concerned with putting something like this on a 45-70. So it needs to be a robust piece of gear.

Any suggestions on best dot size? I don't want a huge unit sitting on top of the rifle. But I also want a generously sized sighting window. The Acro seems like it has a small window with a lot of the surrounding housing visiable. T2 is tried and tested but it is more of a "tube" than something like the RMR 2 that has a frame that might "disappear" better? Holosuns seem pretty good, actually.

e3fbbfe042952d440a3e78cbb3d71b74.jpg
7bafb9dcf75b5a8f8c9fbe5a6b3be6ab.jpg
200691_AcroP2_Quarter_Left_1600x1600__05028.1674068560.jpg

Open to suggestions.

untitled_by_haftelm_dgabglb-fullview.jpg

What stock is that?

I stuck a 1-4 Leupold on my marlin, but as nice as the iron sights are I was thinking I might just stick with those.

I have a 2moa tube dot on my modernized .357 lever gun. I really like it. I wouldn’t go bigger than 2 moa personally, but I doubt you’d notice 3moa either. I also love 1 moa dots so take that for what it’s worth.

An RMR should be able to handle 45-70. But my vote would be the T2 or an RMR if you’re not doing an LPVO.

Reactions: Milf Dots
I’ve got the same trapper. Gone back and forth on doing the Chisel stock and Midwest rail, mainly for a light and some extra rounds. Like the factory look but the extra functionality would be nice. Different.
I would do T2 2moa. Brightest dot available. Smallish and can do magnifier later if you’d like.

I’ve got the same trapper. Gone back and forth on doing the Chisel stock and Midwest rail, mainly for a light and some extra rounds. Like the factory look but the extra functionality would be nice. Different.
I would do T2 2moa. Brightest dot available. Smallish and can do magnifier later if you’d like.

I’ve not been super happy with the Midwest rail on my Marlin 1894. It’s a little wobbly. The Ranger Point Precision rail is much more solid

I’ve not been super happy with the Midwest rail on my Marlin 1894. It’s a little wobbly. The Ranger Point Precision rail is much more solid

Do you have this same full-length rail? It's super solid on mine... The previous version didn't have a full length rail.

The factory wood on mine was garbage. This furniture was a good upgrade for sure. Plus it gives you more real estate to grab on the forend if you're tall like me. The stock hand guard was way too short.

Good info. Thanks.
I’m not a fan of the RPP look. Very blocky. Also, they’re website sucks… lol

Do you have this same full-length rail? It's super solid on mine... The previous version didn't have a full length rail.

Sorry OP. Kinda hijacking the thread.

I’ve been debating the need for a rail as I’m not sure I want a dot. They still make it without, correct? But then there’s the wobble issue. Ah, shit…

Sorry OP. Kinda hijacking the thread.

I’ve been debating the need for a rail as I’m not sure I want a dot. They still make it without, correct? But then there’s the wobble issue. Ah, shit…

No worries. Yeah, they make a version without the rail and one with full-length. They also make two short rail sections you can add to the one without rail—a bare bones rail and one with their sighting system. The one with the full-length rail is the one I have and it's solid.

Mine does not. It’s also the 1894CST and I think there wasn’t a great attachment point. But I have it now and won’t get rid of it. It’s not bad just a little sloppy

Holosun 510 all day long. They make excellent optics, I have several, even if they are built in China, never had an issue with them.

I ended up putting my old Strike Eagle 1-8x24 on my old Marlin 1894SS .44 Mag. Turned out pretty nice, and shoots pretty damn good, too. 3-shot group at 100 with factory LeverEvolution ammo.

IMG_4357.jpeg
IMG_4358.jpeg
IMG_4359.jpeg
Ballistic-X-Export-2022-10-30 16:38:38.394048.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 143lrsd
OP, I'd stick to the Aimpoints- Acro P2, T1, T2, RDO, PRO, Trijicon MRO or the new RCR. That other brand you showed is a Ch***** company called Huanic.

Reactions: 308pirate
I have a 2moa tube dot on my modernized .357 lever gun. I really like it. I wouldn’t go bigger than 2 moa personally, but I doubt you’d notice 3moa either. I also love 1 moa dots so take that for what it’s worth.

An RMR should be able to handle 45-70. But my vote would be the T2 or an RMR if you’re not doing an LPVO.

Rifle recoil hardly ever kills dots. It's not the violent acceleration/decceleration that a dot sees when mounted to a pistol slide.

Really just about anything that isn't a complete turd will work.

But I like the finer things in life so I agree with your choices of Aimpoint or Trijicon.

For a hunting rifle it's hard to go with an Aimpoint H2, T2, or Duty RDS.

Personally this would be my choice: https://www.aimpoint.com/products/red-dot-sights/micro-h-2-4-moa-red-dot-reflex-sight
since the rifle in question is more of a short range (0-200 yds) weapon and, in front of my eyes, a 4 moa dot has zero bloom/starburst compared to a 2 moa.

Reactions: mrtoyz
I wound up grabbing a few different options to compare. The ACRO P2 looks nice but the window is on the smaller size and nobody has them in stock. The Trijicon RMR HD looks like a great option, but again... nobody has them in stock or maybe they're aren't out yet?

I grabbed the Holosun 508T, 509T, and 507 COMP. Will keep the one I like most and might try to find a new RMR HD when they're available.

Last edited:
Seems to do the trick. Zeroed at 50 yards, then 100, then shot one 3-shot group and called it good. Came in a little smaller than 3/4 MOA, off-hand at 100. Then had fun hitting steel. 40 rounds was more than enough. I've got a black and blue welt the size of a baseball lol. This thing kicks like crazy!

Last edited:
I'm going back to a red dot on my .44 mag from a scout scope. Nothing wrong with scout scope, just want to shoot a red dot more (have red dots on both my pump and semi auto 12 gauge slug guns and local ranges aren't the easiest to shoot slugs on so want the red dot sight picture).

o17UBDul.jpg

(Chiappa Alaskan 20" barrel .44mag)

I have 5 red dot sights:

1 x Leica (2 MOA)
1x Geco (Same as ammo brand but Chinese made, 2MOA)
3x Burris Fastfire III (3MOA) - Might need to get a 4th...

xUgFm59l.jpg

Leica on 9.3x62

Burris on the 24" barrelled 12g Benelli Supernova:

UeYNz2il.jpg

I like red dots on long guns...

Burris is a great value option.

Scrummy