• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good set of shooting sticks???

FamilyMan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2011
Utah
I'm at odds trying to find a good set of shooting sticks. Nothing that I've seen really seems to hit that nitch I'm looking for. I want them for use at competitions like SHC or field type match or an occasional hunting scenario. I already have a Manfroto with ball head and hog saddle. But I'm looking for something smaller, lighter, and quicker to use. Any suggestions??

Stoney Points are fast and light. Easy to use with a little practice and don't take up a lot of space.

For shooting sticks, I have used the Kramer snipe pod for well over 10 yrs .... Maybe well pst that. Very lightweight, have a pouch they can be stored in and attached to pack or belt.
They have been great for hunting

Not sure if you've looking into the primos trigger sticks or not, but they are pretty simple to use.

(2) 5/8 wooden dowel rods cut to your desired length with a 1.5" piece of 1"id rubber tubing. Slide the tubing up and down to adjust height very quickly and only costs ~$5. Always carry an extra piece of tubing with you in case you split the one you are using, but that doesn't happen much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get two Camlock walking poles from wallmart. Cut off the rubber handle and replace with something appropriate. I used some foam I had laying around. Paint them up. Tie together below the handle.

You end up with something like this.

Mine aren't as fancy as the store bought.
I made mine of 1/2x1 Oak and had some old leather. I cut to the length I wanted drilled a hole about 4" down bolted together and added some leather. I epoxied some nails in the bottom so they dig in and don't slide around.
I've used these for about 7 years now.

I took two old carbon arrows and tied them together with paracord. Cheap, light and seems durable enough for target shooting and hunting. I tied them together at the top with several loops back and forth so that the sticks form an X with just enough room at the top to set the rifle in. when the sticks are parallel I can slide the cord up and down to adjust the height. When the sticks are pulled out in an X the cord gets tight and holds in position.

Thanks guys I have been looking heavily into the polecat but am digging the carbon fiber arrow idea.

If you're looking at the polecat then you should go look at the primos trigger sticks in person.

Instead of having to individually adjust each of the 2 length adjustments on each leg you just squeeze the trigger.

If you want something super light and portable then check out the shooting sticks at crooked horn. 2 sizes.

This idea is similar to the ones I've made. Most of the production ones are ok, but they either don't hold up over time or they just work for a limited amount of scenarios. I broke a lot of store bought shooting sticks at -20 and -30 degrees (its cold in Fairbanks and the interior). The ones I have made have held up for years, cheap to make, work for every situation I have encountered, and they are bombproof.

Mine are made out of fiberglass rods that I stole from a broken pop-up blind with 3/8 rubber fuel line. Thats the basic set up. When it is cold out and I'm predator hunting on lakes or rivers I glue on some arrow tips for wooden arrows with some hot melt glue so that I can take them off for the rest of the year. You can also add Vista Point Small Game Adder Points for extra grip on ice. If I am using them on hard surfaces such as rocks and boulders I slip on some Vista Rubber Blunts.

For the rods you can use arrows (too short for me), doll rods, some people use small metal tubing (this is a no-go when things get cold and they aren't the quietest for hunting either). The rubber fuel line needs to be split in the middle for about 2 inches. Then you slide the rods in, usually with a little soapy water cuz you want them to be tight. Presto, you have cheap shooting sticks.

I can't seem to get my photos to attach properly so I added a link from the Predator Masters forum which shows how the rubber tubing gets placed. I don't use the castration bands. I also added the links for some parts I described. Hope this helps. Like I said before easy, cheap, and bombproof.

Link to Predator Masters sticks. Post 12 (hopefully):
How too shooting sticks?? - PredatorMasters Forums

Vista® Rubber Blunts : Cabela's

Vista® Small Game Adder Point — Per 6 : Cabela's

(2) 5/8 wooden dowel rods cut to your desired length with a 1.5" piece of 1"id rubber tubing. Slide the tubing up and down to adjust height very quickly and only costs ~$5. Always carry an extra piece of tubing with you in case you split the one you are using, but that doesn't happen much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for the Primos Trigger Sticks Tripod.

I RO'd for the winner of the Rocky Mountain Steel Quest in WY, he had them and they are fast. When the clock is running time flies! Seconds count and my PRS was way too slow. I learned a lot watching him and competing and ordered a set of Primos for the Steel Safari. They are heavy and long but speed is more important in this type of match.