• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Good Spotting scope?

Re: Good Spotting scope?

I was just about to post the same question. I'm looking for a good one at 500 yards for 500-750 bucks. Could anyone give a recommendation on this too? Thanks!

LOOK through a Konus. I was impressed. Not sure on the abusability as it seemed light but then again I'm used to hogged out truck axles for scope bodies
grin.gif

Cheers,

Doc

I was using my Nikon Sky and Earth (an older model) 15x45x60mm while at Camp Atterbury. I was able to easily see bullet holes at 500 yards with it.

Now, I will say that the Leupold Gold Ring compare right next to it seemed more crisp but the ability to see the bullet holes was about the same.

Another guys had a Nikon Spotter XL II (IIRC) that was a straight tube design that was able to see the bullet holes also.

Over all I was pretty impressed with the cheaper Nikons along side the Leupold. The Nikons were about a 1/3 the price of the Leupold.

Good Luck!

For 200yds pretty much anything will work. I have a Leupold 25x spotter that is tough and compact, doesn't even need a tripod. You may even consider a nice set of demo bino's instead like the Pentax SP or ED 8x32's from Cameraland.

I've been happy with the B&L Elite 20-60x80 that I've been using. In good conditions 6mm holes are visable at 600 yards. Someone hase one for sale in the classifides for $500 or there abouts.

That is some good information regarding comparison of mid-priced spotting scopes. I've been shopping around for good mid-grade spotter for a while and was very interested in the Alpen. It is about the price I was shooting for but I also have been looking at Nikons XLII scopes. I can get one of these for under $300. So I am wondering how the Alpen 788 or 786 compares to a Nikon XLII. If anyone has any input regarding this I would appreciate hearing it.

I expect this is something that over the years I will trade up and eventually have something on the high end. But for now I just want to get one and I don't want to fork out the cash for the premium stuff.

I had a Skyline 20-60x80 Spotting Scope. It DID NOT work well and so Vortex exchanged it for the <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">ED</span></span> model - at no cost (Skyline <span style="color: #FF0000"><span style="font-weight: bold">ED</span></span> 20-60x80). I addressed this experience in another thread where I gave Vortex an A++ for CS.

This new SS has been working well UNTIL this past weekend. Now 4 of us, including me, is having difficulty with it showing clear images (308 hits) at "300" yards (worked well at 100 and 200 ...). Maybe it was just the weather and mirage (more to contend with now ...) - I don't know - but seeing holes at 300 yards was impossible yesterday ... (I could see them thru the S&B at 16x, but not though the Vortex? Someone asked yesterday, if glass quality (i.e. coatings, etc.) deteriorate over time (two months or so)? I'm going to try it again during this week.

Frankly, I get tired of shipping a SS off for repairs and then waiting for another to arrive (I did this once for the scope and then had to do it again for their tripod ...BOTH replaced with 'better' (? - more expensive models). Moreover, I really can't expect Vortex to replace it with something better (next step up is a Razor HD ...). So, if it DOES NOT work well again - I will be junking it as a mid-range Spotter. Therefore, I 'presently' cannot recommend the Vortex w/ED -

I will try to locate this thread again and report back if there are any changes ...

I also bought the Vortex Skyline 80 and couldn't use it because of chromatic aberration as well as couldn't see .223 holes at 220 yards with it. I expressed my concerns to Vortex c/s who offered to send me a used/trade-in/demo ED version of the same scope to see if I liked it better. The ED 80 I got had been around the block a few times and looked like it had been through the Glock torture test. I didn't see that much improvement over non-ED glass -- certainly not $300 worth at retail price -- and was not impressed with that particular scope at all. I returned both Vortex 80s and began my search again.

I saw the same birdwatching magazine review that is mentioned above in this thread where the Alpen 788 was well thought of, and gave it a try. I realize looking at a hawk at 75 yards is a lot different than trying to find .223 holes at 220 yards but I had seen other favorable reviews on the Alpen, so for ~$390 one was delivered to my door in 4 days. So far it has done all I have asked of it. It is still fairly new and I haven't been able to test it beyond 220 yards because that's the longest range I have access to right now, but at this point I have to say it is a better value for less money than the Vortex scopes that I had.

Vortex c/s was understanding and helpful, but I try not to buy a spotter (or anything else) that requires "great customer service" all the time. I'd much rather it never needed it at all. Here's hoping the Alpen 788fills that bill.

baseleg,

I remember that you replied earlier to one of my posts concerning Vortex (2 months ago...). In your situation was it the focus knobs that were giving you the problem(s) or something else? For mine, someone suggested it to be the coatings may be coming off the lens (I doubt this ...), but my idea is that it seems to be that the scope is not 60x @ 300 yards.

I, as you, am thinking of asking for my money back (if they still do this ...) and just purchase another SS (Zeiss). They are on sale, but will wait to see what Vortex says ...

I have a Nikon Prostaff that I am fairly impressed with. I went to cabelas and compared it to every spotting scope under $1k and took this one home. It is the 20-60x80 but the tripod that came with it is pretty well junk. I would buy another Nikon if the need was to arise.

I also have a Leupold Gold Ring that I have benn happy with. STAY AWAY FROM THE GREEN RING spotters they are horrible. The one I saw would not resolve 22 cal holes at 100 yards.

I gotta tell ya guys - I bought a Nikon Earth and Sky - similiar to the Pro-Staff - cost me about $270 with a tripod - although I use a ewing stand.

But I can see the markers at 600-1000 with NO problems.

I see bullet trace out to 1k just fine, it's waterproof, rubber coated, durable and it only cost about $270 or so.

I had planned on upgrading to a really nice one but I have a really nice one that absolutely has worked for 9 years now...

adayattherange.jpg

ArcticLight that sounds like an impressive SS. Things do not always have to be expensive to be GREAT.

I'll tell you the same thing I tell everyone looking for a cheap spotter:

One great option is a Konuspot 80. It's 90-95% the scope the Kowas are, at about $200. I did a LOT of hands on research with this, and was fully willing to spend for the Kowa.

Jim Owens has a good description of it here. Just hit it with a nice coat of Krylon Ultra Matte (I did black) and you're good to go!

http://www.jarheadtop.com/KONUS.htm

http://www.jarheadtop.com/Testimonials_Scopes.htm

I found it for under $200 on sale from B&H Photovideo.

Good luck,
BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Doc1911</div><div class="ubbcode-body">baseleg,

I remember that you replied earlier to one of my posts concerning Vortex (2 months ago...). In your situation was it the focus knobs that were giving you the problem(s) or something else? For mine, someone suggested it to be the coatings may be coming off the lens (I doubt this ...), but my idea is that it seems to be that the scope is not 60x @ 300 yards.

I, as you, am thinking of asking for my money back (if they still do this ...) and just purchase another SS (Zeiss). They are on sale, but will wait to see what Vortex says ... </div></div>

In my situation I had bought the non-ED Skyline locally. The CA was unacceptable to me so I contacted Vortex about it and they offered to send me an ED Skyline to see if it was an improvement. The ED Skyline they sent me was an obvious return from someone else. It had seen better days and was pretty loose, especially the fine focus and built in shade. But I did have both Skyline versions at the same time and was able to test them side by side. IMO the Skyline ED was not that much better than the non-ED, so I returned the new non-ED to the store I purchased it from and shipped the used ED Skyline back to Vortex. They had sent me a return UPS label.

Based on the ED Skyline I had I'm still wondering what all the ED glass fuss is about. Maybe it's better in higher priced scopes, but from my observations I decided I didn't need it and went for the Alpen 788. So far I'm very happy with it.

Good luck with your Skyline problems. The folks at Vortex tried to help me but it just didn't work out for me with their products that I was able to try out.

Thanks baseleg. I contacted Vortex today. They desired me to take out the eyepeice and re-install it and then use it at the range tomorrow ... After the test I 'may' begin looking at new Spotters - yours and some others mentioned above - if things do not improve. I don't desire a Spotter that needs to go back continuously, et. al.

+1 B@L Elite 20X60 80mm with ED glass now under Bushnell name. I spent about a half hour with this a Swaro and a Leica. The only real diffrence I could find Was the B@L was heavier, larger and less than half the price. It is also camera adaptable. Right at $700. Planet Optical.

Well taking the eyepiece out of the Vortex and immediately re-installing it worked. The SS cleared up at 300 yards. Though this SS has not been abused - at all - now I know I have a problem that can reproduce itself any moment. However, at this point in time it probably cannot be reproduced by Vortex ...

I'm sending Vortex and e-mail to see what they say ...