• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Good starter scope?

Glockster35

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2005
Dayton, NV USA
Looking to get a good starter scope for my Savage 10FP. It currently wear an old Bushnell Scope Chief, and it has served me well over the years, but I am starting to build the rifle up for long range competition shooting, and long distance shooting in general. So that means a Mil-Dot scope is inevitable.

I don't see anyone talking about the Super Sniper scopes anymore, so what are the alternatives under $500.

Re: Good starter scope?

Check out the vortex scopes and get the best version you can afford, you won't regret it.

SS scopes are good, but take a look at the Sightron series of scopes. A pretty large number of our members have them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJohn141</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out the vortex scopes and get the best version you can afford, you won't regret it. </div></div>

He is right on the money. I have a vortex PST 2.5-10x on my AR-15 and i have no problem shooting out to 600 yards which will be more than plenty for a starter scope. The customer service is outstanding as well. The scope cost me about $550 new.

I have a nightforce on my .308 and the clarity is very comparable to the vortex. I wish i should have known that before spending $1800 on a nightforce. You cant go wrong with a vortex

How big of a hurry are you in to get a scope and what kind of magnification are you looking for? I just placed a order for the Vortex HS Tactical 5-15x44 available through midwayusa. It's a mil/mil scope with a zero stope and on sale for $399 but it's back ordered till the end of June at the moment (hopefully they restock sooner). It has great reviews and and vortex is a great company.

One of the Hide sponsors had the Vortex Viper PST 4-16 SFP for a very good price, mil/ mil with a great reticle.

If $500 is your budget then I would strongly suggest the vortex viper (not the pst). It's a sfp scope, but very good glass for the money and a fantastic warranty. If you can go up to the $900 range, then the PST in a ffp would be a better choice. Otherwise I might look at bushnell, sightron, or millet. My opinion of super sniper is not good, but they are solid all n all, just didn't like the glass for the price. Vortex is just hard to beat dollar for dollar. I would also look at weavers scope too, forgot about them.

Probably your best bet would be to watch the optics section here and possibly buy something used, but of better quality. If not the I would go to Scott at liberty optics, or at least a hide vendor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weaver 3.5-10 mil/mil </div></div>
Ditto

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7.62Texan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jerseymike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Weaver 3.5-10 mil/mil </div></div>
Ditto</div></div>

If you want variable get the weaver

If you want fixed get the new SS 10x fixed milquad

I've used the weaver and the classic ss10x and they're both nice for around $300

I just dont really see 10x being all that great for long range competition. Im sure it will get the job done in most cases but when you have to spot small targets or pick out shapes at distance you will probably be wishing you had a little more.

I have shot out to 1200 yards with my 3x-9 Nikon Buckmaster. It has 80moa of elevation adjustment which is plenty. Glass is clear.

Any Vortex or horus scope will get the job done. Horus is a lil more expensive but believe it will be worth it in the long run.

Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x44 for $275

Vortex Viper PA 6.5-20x50 for $459

Those are my go to scopes ..... best bang for the buck. And, with a 500 dollar budget, leaves you room for a pair of rings, or a EGW scope base.

the New midway vortex 5-15x44 is by far the best scope going for the under $500 range right now. it is on sale until the end of the month for 399, but you will have to wait since it was on backorder.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the New midway vortex 5-15x44 is by far the best scope going for the under $500 range right now. it is on sale until the end of the month for 399, but you will have to wait since it was on backorder.</div></div> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ffhogue</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the New midway vortex 5-15x44 is by far the best scope going for the under $500 range right now. it is on sale until the end of the month for 399, but you will have to wait since it was on backorder.</div></div>

Agreed. Get it while you still can for $400.

I am a big fan of the Mueller APT for an entry level scope. for 150 bux you can't beat it. all three of mine track well, one has taken almost 2000 rounds of beating on my .308 and still works just as good as day one. the glass is stupidly clear and it doesn't distort colors. the only thing is that it is a second focal plane, and the quarter minute adjustable turrets are zeroable to the half minute, which still isn't that bad of a thing to me especially shooting inside 600 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rideHPD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Millett isn't bad, and IMO wouldn't be bad for you to fig out what you like and dislike about tac scopes </div></div>

+1, I like Nikon Monarch as well. 1/4" or 1/8" turrets, mil-dot, <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">very</span></span> clear, under $500. Then start saving for NF, USO, S&B, etc.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M24SWS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The bushnell elite 3200 mil/mil fixed 10x is a excellent little starter scope. </div></div>

I already have one on my 5.56mm AR Long Range Rifle. Great scopes. but this is for a .308 Savage build, and I would prefer to get a fixed mil dot, with 20X if possible.

I am surprised no one mentioned the Falcon Menace scopes. Looking hard at the Falcon Menace 5.5-25x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope.