• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good triggers

jLorenzo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Looking into replacing my mil spec trigger on my 18" dmr gun. Is there anything that can be done to improve the mil spec trigger in the mean time? I've shopped around a little online and have seen the geiselles, etc. Anything sub 150$ that's decent? Just need a Lil lighter pull and a little more consistency.

The Rise Armament RA140 drop in trigger can be found for around $80 some times. It did as well as several more expensive drop in triggers in a big trigger comparison a few years back. The $250+ drop in triggers were in a bit of a different league but the Rise is still quite good.

Before you switch, look up the "15 minute trigger job". It's essentially accelerated wear on the trigger to smooth out and lighten the travel. I help it out with some JB compound on the sear surface and push the hammer forward to create more pressure so the compound can cut better.

After that I make sure I remove 100% of the JB compound, lube the parts and reassemble.

I also deburr my FCG pieces before I assemble a lower the first time.

When I prep an LPK like this (and radius/polish the detents), I always get a lower that feels right, no stiff selector or takedown pins that need a hammer to depress. The trigger pull might not be terribly light but it will be pretty smooth.

Looking into replacing my mil spec trigger on my 18" dmr gun. Is there anything that can be done to improve the mil spec trigger in the mean time? I've shopped around a little online and have seen the geiselles, etc. Anything sub 150$ that's decent? Just need a Lil lighter pull and a little more consistency.

I have several "GEISSELE" triggers in my spare parts collection, you want a SSA-E or HSNM, I also have a few LaRue triggers as well.

I switched to AR Gold and Never Looked back, so if you're interested send me a PM and I'll definitely get you in your way.

Geissele SSA-E is a great drop in trigger, I have several and when clients want to spec out builds thats my number one reconmendation for SPR/DMR setups. The HSNM is probably my personal favorite due to the adjustability but that adjustability comes with a price that for most shooters isn't worth it unless your playing competitively. If your on a budget then take a look at the LaRue Tactical MBT-2S Trigger, for the money ($99) its a great trigger.

I have the CMC flat trigger, 3.5 lbs. I like it for what I use my AR for, and I think I got it for around 130

Most of my AR pattern rifles have the Geissele SSA, but 2 have the GS2, and I can't distinguish between them while shooting.
The GS2 turns up on sale for less than $150 from time to time which is why I'm pointing out the similarity. While the SSA-E (or another of Geissele's higher end triggers) may well be a better trigger than the SSA/GS2, I'm pretty happy with the less expensive options I've standardized on.

All the discounted Hiperfires around right now are easily the best value.

The Geissele SSA is certified by SOCOM and tested to 250,000 cycles. That’s hard to beat.

What about a Rock River national match 2 stage? They're on sale for 89$

RRA NM has a reputation for wearing out fairly quickly. Beside that, I don't like mine as much as my CMC drop in, Rise RA140 or SR Gold.

Also in regard to something said earlier, Giselle triggers are not "drop in". In ARs, the traditional meaning of a "drop in trigger" is one that is installed pre-assembled in a cartridge and doesn't rely on the hammer and trigger pin holes for anything besides locating the assembly in the lower.

I prefer drop in triggers if only because they are easier to install. In the $80-$200 range you're mostly going to get a nice trigger. Above $200 there are a few that stand out and the gimmick triggers.

To me the question is do you want nice or best in class?

If you want nice, get a cheap drop in. If you want best in class, get ready to pay close to $200 more.

For me, I have both and I don't think that extra $200 gets you a trigger that's 3x as good.

Last edited:
The RR triggers were failure prone. I’ve heard they changed something but I don’t know.

Both JP and Geisesele get my vote. I have a beater carbine built with a a delton lpk that includdd their version of a NM trigger. For a very cheap trigger it isn’t bad. I wouldn’t use it in a comp rifle, but it represents good value.

I either have, or have had Geiselle SSA, SSA-E, SD-E, Hi Speed DMR, and have shot the SD-3Gun. I also had an AR Gold, and am currently shooting a CMC straight shoe, 2stage. Of all these triggers, I feel like the Geiselle are fantastic, but I also am really a fan of the CMC as well. They have done a fantastic job with their cassette, drop in trigger.
My personal, can have only one choice would be a SD-E. I love a straight trigger, and that trigger in a 2stage with a 3.5# break is fantastic.

Geissele SSA-E or SD-E if you prefer the straight shoe like me.

If you can wait a few weeks they run a 4th of July sale every year, I believe it’s 25% off. You’ll save more than a couple bucks.

A couple of friends of mine have sent their triggers off to Bill Springfield and have been very happy with his work. I don't know how their triggers were before they were sent off but they said it was a definite improvement. Think they paid about $50.

Why do you like them? Are they pretty smooth triggers? How is the length of pull?

The 3 lb curved trigger has a very clean break,i like single stage triggers,it reminds me of my kidd and tikka triggers except i run those at about 2 1/2 lbs,,,,,,also can find them on sale for 125 dollars....lop is about how adjustable your butt stock is...

The 3 lb curved trigger has a very clean break,i like single stage triggers,it reminds me of my kidd and tikka triggers except i run those at about 2 1/2 lbs,,,,,,also can find them on sale for 125 dollars....lop is about how adjustable your butt stock is...
Okay thanks for helpful info!

My personal favorite is the Wilson Combat TTU3G but they are pricey, oddly enough I have found the Ruger elite 452 to be very good.
I bought the one from a local GS that he had out on display for everyone to dry fire and play with so it was nice and smoothed out and broken in. I let him know when he gets another one broke in I would probably buy that one to.
It consistently breaks at about 3.2 pounds on my RCBS guage.

Surprised no love for Timney. Really like mine. No noticeable take up and the break and rest is clean. One raged hole out of a Rainer SDM 20 barrel, if I do my part. Just as clean as my Jewell in my 700.

Last edited:
2nd vote for Jard. Have two of them. Had a SSA-E. Took it out, gave it to a friend, and replaced it with the 2nd Jard. Also have a JP in my 16” carbine.

I have one Jard in my 24" bull barreled 223 but at 1.5 lbs its a bit on the touchy/ light side for an AR.
I tried a light hold on the rifle once shooting from a bench, not necessarily free recoiling it but light and I ended up double tapping it a couple of times accidentally.