• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Good trimmer?

snowdin5000

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2012
Idaho
I'm looking to upgrade my trimmer I've got a Lyman hand crank right now and just doesn't work the way I would like it to. The main load I will be using it for is my 338lm.

Re: Good trimmer?

Sounds like Giraud is the best but I've already got $700 or more tied up in my RCBS power trimmer and is good enough for what I do. Had the RCBS for around 15 years and no problems.

I really like my Wilson with the Sinclair stand and micrometer adjustment. The only drawback I can think of to it, is that it requires a case holder for every different parent case you're gonna trim, i.e. one holder for '06 parent cases and a different holder for WSM cases and so on. I actually have the much lauded Giraud trimmer, and it is difficult to get exact length measurements since it measures off the shoulder, and it is quite fiddly to set the cutter when you change cases. The cutter has to be adjusted seperately for each different caliber. I like it in general, and yes I am very particular about setting my shoulders back consistently, but yet there is variance in trim length, and since the Wilson indexes off the case base, it trims to EXACTLY the same length every time. It is stable and cuts really nicely. I would recommend it highly as a step up from your Lyman, and it will trim the Lapua Magnum nicely.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snowdin5000</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking to upgrade my trimmer I've got a Lyman hand crank right now and just doesn't work the way I would like it to. The main load I will be using it for is my 338lm. </div></div>

I've used a Lyman Universal for 18 years and trim my 338LM cases on it and it works fine, what's wrong with yours?

I bought the powder drill adapter bar in the beginning, so I use my 18v cordless drill and it works pretty well.

It's not a perfect trimmer and it has had some quirks that needed ironing out, but they were minimal.

Chris

I would go with the Wilson, its gives you lots of options for add-ons and extra's. I went with a Forster, and while it is very nice, I really wish I had picked something with mic options available.

My lyman works great for all of my rounds just doesnt quite like hold the lapua brand shells like the others. It does work and would recomend it just not for lapua brand brass. I think that I will look into the wilson.