• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Tripod for Field Use

Gunslinger9416

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2010
I've been scanning the forums for a couple weeks now, and haven't seen a direct answer to what I'm looking for.

I've come onto a good deal for a Leupold Mark 4 spotting scope, so I'm in need of a tripod. I've seen a heavy number of votes of confidence behind the Manfrotto carbon fiber units, including someone who said their scout/sniper platoon used them on deployment. That's generally what I look for when I choose my gear, but I've heard some questions raised as far as durability when taking them out to the field and that is where I will mostly be using mine. This is for recreational purposes by the way, though there's always an outside chance I may need it for work. Anyways, I stumbled across the Sniper Ops Compact Tactical Tripod, which seems made for Mark 4's and for field use. It doesn't hurt they name dropped 2/7's scout/sniper platoon as satisfied customers, as I'm always prone to like something associated with my old battalion. The Sniper Ops can support a rifle, so I can order a HOG saddle and have it pull double duty, and as its name implies it breaks down pretty small for stowing in my ruck.

My questions are: has anyone had experience with both that can compare/contrast them? Are the Manfrotto carbon fiber units grunt-proof? Does the Sniper Ops have a reputation good or bad?

Appreciate your time and any knowledge, gents.

I have no experiance with a Sniper Ops tri-pod and have been around the block enough to say that NOTHING is infact "grunt proof"...

That said, a carbon fiber Monfrotto is pretty close to the top of most people's list for a reason. I am very happy with mine.

I like the manfrotto 055 prob tripod with the pistol grip head. I think the aluminum ones are a bit more durable than the carbon ones, you do pay a weight penalty though.

The Manfrotto 055 CF tripod is an excellent tripod both light and strong. Use mine at the range and hunting for use with a spotter, LRF and Hog Saddle.

I have the monfrotto 055cxpro3 for my rifle and have used it with my spotter clamped in the hog saddle. This setup is less than ideal so I would recommend using a QD head if you go that route. I ended up buying a slick sprint mini II for my rangefinder and spotter. It is very compact and ideal for field use or off the bench at the range because center column on it is removable so the legs will lie completely flat.

Last edited: