• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Good Value Accurate AR Upper

texasplinker

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
Kentucky Bluegrass
I have recently become interested in converting my ar from a short range, fast fire weapon to a mid-long range (about 300-600 yards) precision rifle.

Currently I shoot a 1:9 16" 5.56 Double Star Upper/Barrel and lower. I mounted a Simmons Aetec on it to get a feel for the accuracy potential of my current rig and was rather disappointed. (Granted I was shooting Wolf 62gr practice ammo.) The 5 shot groups were coming in 1.5" - 2" @ 100yds, which is... ok. But the real disappointment was that the zero kept moving around. The scope and mount are solid on other rifles which leaves ammo and upper as the possible culprits.

If you think I can get ~1.5 MOA accuracy out of this upper with quality ammo and maybe a free float tube I am all ears.

If not, I have been toying with the idea of building up a new rifle and am interested in suggestions for a reasonably priced upper, say in the $500-$700 range, that will meet my desires.

Thanks,
todd

txplkr

Re: Good Value Accurate AR Upper

Are you sure that the scope is OK, if you have a zero shift that means something is changing. (i.e. scope cross hairs, body position, eye relief, etc..) How much is it shifting? Is it shifting with the same ammo?

That is a lot. I would first verify it is in fact the rifle. No rifle should be shifting point of impact that much with the same ammo, unless you have a chipped crown. Try another scope, or even the iron sights if you have them.

Is the bottom of the objective lens touching the quad rail? I had a problem when I first installed mine with the plastic/rubber flip-up cover touching. It threw them around like that...

From what I heard, White Oak Armament has one of the best deals with great barrels:
http://www.whiteoakarmament.com/

Their SDM barrel looks promising. These barrels have exceptional accuracy for the price. I would seriously look into these if I wasnt still in school and paying for education.

I am thinking of an 18 inc White Oaks barrel, you can get a matched bolt with it for right around $300. Add a Troy MRF battle rail, and you should be rocking.

I would upgrade the following in this order:
Ammo
Trigger
Scope.

Also check the scope mounts.

The online training offered here is great.

If your zero is moving and the obvious stuff is checked, ie the rings and bases are tight and also, your barrel is tight in the upper, ie your barrel nut isn't somehow too lose (grab the barrel and try to wobble it in the upper)....

If those things are GTG its either you or the scope. Canting the rifle even a little is going to shift your POI. So if you shot one 5 shot group at one slight cant, rested, got back down on the gun and canted it slightly the other way, you're going to get two different POIs.

Or, as mentioned above, you're looking through the scope differently, your cheekweld is changing, the pressure you're exerting with the gun against your shoulder and the handgrip is changing, ie the gun is recoiling differently in different strings.

That's the only thing I can really think of other than your scope is bad, which frankly that scope is in the price range that something might be wrong with it out of the box.

If you really want to check your rifle's inherent accuracy, buy a box of Black Hills blue box reloads. They're about $35 a box of 50. If you've got 1:9 twist, buy the 69 grainers, if you've 1:7 twist or 1:8, try the 77 grain or 75 grainers. That is going to tell you the real accuracy potential of your gun. Shooting budget ammo won't tell you much, speaking generally.

The white oak barrels look very nice! And all of the advice is very appreciated.

My objective is not touching my rail, its close, but I cannot bend the barrel up to the optic even with considerable force. The barrel seems tight.

After I double check my mount, I will try upgrades in this order.
Me (The rifles I have been shooting for accuracy lately are tolerant of inconsistent holds, and I am sure I've become lazy as result.)
Ammo (I will try to hunt up some Black Hills locally. I have wanted to try it and this is a fine reason.)

Optic (I have other glass around, and this piece has turned in sub MOA groups on other rifles. If it turns out to have gone belly up, I will be disappointed.)

Trigger

My particular issues aside, what is a typical level of accuracy from base level components such as mine?

thanks all
todd

you are not going to get any better accuracy with the wolf ammo.
number 2 I would be taking a long hard look at your optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwb47</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you are not going to get any better accuracy with the wolf ammo.
number 2 I would be taking a long hard look at your optics.
</div></div>

While the optics may not be the best I doubt that is the issue. Id bet its the ammo. My rifle wont group xm193/american eagle less than 3in at 100yds usually around 5in groups at 100yds but if I feed it 69grn or 77grn SMk's i can blow 1 hole groups..go figure.