• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GoPro or Contour?

RedDragunWeapons

Private
Minuteman
So...I need to get a POV camera and keep vacillating between these two. On the one hand the specs for the GoPro are large and it seems most of the vs. reviews pick the GoPro for various good reasons, but on the other side I really like the form factor and blue tooth capabilities of the Contour...it looks like it would mount better to the side of my helmet or rifles or whatever and be so much less obtrusive.

Thoughts?

Re: GoPro or Contour?

I have been looking at both also, but have not been able to make up my mind. I like the go pro and think it is the better camera but I like the form of the Contour better and think it would be better for what I want to do with it... Mount to my bow and may be my rifle. The Contour is on promotive.com so that is a plus for that one. I am looking forward to hear more on the thread..

A friend of mine has the Contour with GPS capabilities. It's a really neat little camera and that's definitely the route I'll be going.
-Dan

I have used both, and both are great. The GoPro has a wider field of view but they both can do 1080P. The Contour is a little easier to use. The Contour is a better camera for shooting sports. We used one at Ironman this year and it worked great!

Contour Fit better on my Bow, Gun and surfboard....I went contour.....but looking into the dual Gopro for 3D.....

I went with the Contour ROAM and I am very happy with it. While the camera itself might be a little better with the GoPro, the Contour's form fits what I do with it a lot better.

Here's video I took at PMG with my Contour mounted to my MSA Sordin Pro X headset. While it sticks off the side slightly, I feel a lot better than if I had the GoPro mounted on my head like an elk's antlers. Plus the profile is no more than a flashlight or laser when mounted on a rifle.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FzHBoq-CVPI"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FzHBoq-CVPI" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

When I got mine the Contour was better than the GoPro but that was a couple years ago. Either way I really like it and the video is awesome. The picatinny mount works great and I've gotten some great footage running it on a gun.

So I'm a bit confused now looking at the Contour website. I thought the GPS and + versions with their "bluetooth support" use the application on your phone for viewfinding and adjusting the camera settings, but when I was looking at the comparison chart it has this "Connect View Card" that comes with the + version. What does that do?

Once you have the App the Contour just connects via BT to your iPod, iPhone etc then it becomes the screen. The connect card is already inside with the appropriate model.

I have the older Contour helmet cam. It works great, lots of mounting options, the only downside is audio quality is lost when there is lots of wind coming into the microphone. Which only occurs when I am moving in a GMV or other military vehicle in the turret moving at a high rate of speed. Other than that it works great in indoor live fire shoot houses with no issues.

I'll put the old flame suit on, because everyone seems to be drinking the POV camera Kewl Aid...but I bought the HD GO PRO (2) and I have never been so disappointed with a camera in my life. I bought the package that included a water sports package for a trip to St. Thomas. I saw the commercials, "filmed with an actual GO PRO" was the selling point. I watched youtube videos of Corliss "grinding the crack" and figured man these cameras are really cool. So I bought one for a vacation. I figured the $400 camera would be sort of a do it all...with the water sports package, no worries about sand in my SLR, hi def video plus pics, plus underwater video...too cool!! Anyway, the lack of view finder is a lot more problematic than it seemed like it would be in real life. Videos and photos were always tilted, slanted and generally awkward due to my inability to compose a shot. Granted I could have invested in the backpack screen, but it was unavailable at the time, so I had to rough it. I blew more shots with the camera than a simple point and shoot could have made simply due to the lack of screen or viewfinder. The interface is archaic and crappy. This is 2012. If I wanted an LCD monochromatic menu, I'd buy a TI calculator. Sure it may be cheap, bare bones, and utilitarian...but its still cumbersome. You'll be learning little monochromatic icons to figure out what mode your camera is in, and then you'll have the tactile feel of turning scope knobs under two or three flanel blankets, to push the damn button. I'm relatively young, relatively fit, and by no means obese, but my medium/large fingers found the controls dismal and lacking much responsiveness or feel. Hands down...the worst shutter depress ever experienced on a camera...that includes those cardboard disposable snap cameras. The polycarbonate housing FOGS like crazy. It drove me insane. The internet nerds who "mod" this camera usually recommend a piece of aluminum foil placed in the housing to act as a cool heatsink for moisture. I tried the WECSOG tricks to get the camera lens to stop fogging, the foil, rice, acclimating the camera to its environment...and it never stopped fogging. Eventually, despite my best efforts, the polycarbonate lens on the housing would develop a spot of fog right over the lens. Granted I was using this thing in the tropics...big shock...using a water sports camera in the caribbean???!! Don't even get me started on the absolutely SHITTY underwater performance of this thing. So nobody told me that to shoot under water clearly you'd need to purchase a special filter which is basically somebody's diy improvement on the waterproof housing. It costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 for AL's cheapo variant or $200 for a "prosumer variant," and that's in addition to the cost of the camera...to do what the water package was advertised to do on its own...The photos and videos underwater are all but worthless. The videos were grainy and blurry, with no evidence of 1080HD anywhere. Taking the thing in the water just distracted me from enjoying the scenery since I was so busy "Jacques Cousteauing" I spent time chasing down shots, or trying to capture something on film, only to find out later at the computer that it looked like videos taken on my kid's Leapsters. Did I mention the stainless steel screws and nuts that rusted in the course of 10 days of use? I washed it religiously after each salt water exposure, and used a little local variety WD40, and the hardware was still visibly corroded after that short of an exposure to a salt water environment.

All in all, I think the HD GO PRO is a colossal waste of money and a generally disappointing product. I probably could have gotten it to work the way it should have...added a viewfinder for another $100...purchased the special aftermarket 3rd party underwater filter for $80. (free WECSOG install that I'm sure would have provided a waterproof seal at 60 ft.) Maybe an upgrade of the hardware to some sort of marine resistant finish?? But why bother. I'll stick with any point and shoot from Sony, Canon, Panasonic etc...which all kick this little turd's ass.

I found that when I abandoned the camera and left it in the house, I spent less time browsing through hundreds of bad photos to find one good shot, less time culling bad photos, and less time clearing space off the card for more garbage shots...IE more time vacationing on my vacation rather than trying to sort through a bunch of photos to find "the good one."

Your mileage may vary...I'm just giving one man's experience. Luckily Best Buy was more than apologetic in accepting the return. In the words of the pubescent Best Buy clerk in the return line..."Most of these end up getting returned."

Maybe slung on a picatinny rail, it magically transforms into a high def precision optic capturing that moment of impact on the target...I personally would rather use it as THE target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronco_buster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'll put the old flame suit on, because everyone seems to be drinking the POV camera Kewl Aid...but I bought the HD GO PRO (2) and I have never been so disappointed with a camera in my life. I bought the package that included a water sports package for a trip to St. Thomas. I saw the commercials, "filmed with an actual GO PRO" was the selling point. I watched youtube videos of Corliss "grinding the crack" and figured man these cameras are really cool. So I bought one for a vacation. I figured the $400 camera would be sort of a do it all...with the water sports package, no worries about sand in my SLR, hi def video plus pics, plus underwater video...too cool!! Anyway, the lack of view finder is a lot more problematic than it seemed like it would be in real life. Videos and photos were always tilted, slanted and generally awkward due to my inability to compose a shot. Granted I could have invested in the backpack screen, but it was unavailable at the time, so I had to rough it. I blew more shots with the camera than a simple point and shoot could have made simply due to the lack of screen or viewfinder. The interface is archaic and crappy. This is 2012. If I wanted an LCD monochromatic menu, I'd buy a TI calculator. Sure it may be cheap, bare bones, and utilitarian...but its still cumbersome. You'll be learning little monochromatic icons to figure out what mode your camera is in, and then you'll have the tactile feel of turning scope knobs under two or three flanel blankets, to push the damn button. I'm relatively young, relatively fit, and by no means obese, but my medium/large fingers found the controls dismal and lacking much responsiveness or feel. Hands down...the worst shutter depress ever experienced on a camera...that includes those cardboard disposable snap cameras. The polycarbonate housing FOGS like crazy. It drove me insane. The internet nerds who "mod" this camera usually recommend a piece of aluminum foil placed in the housing to act as a cool heatsink for moisture. I tried the WECSOG tricks to get the camera lens to stop fogging, the foil, rice, acclimating the camera to its environment...and it never stopped fogging. Eventually, despite my best efforts, the polycarbonate lens on the housing would develop a spot of fog right over the lens. Granted I was using this thing in the tropics...big shock...using a water sports camera in the caribbean???!! Don't even get me started on the absolutely SHITTY underwater performance of this thing. So nobody told me that to shoot under water clearly you'd need to purchase a special filter which is basically somebody's diy improvement on the waterproof housing. It costs somewhere in the neighborhood of $50 for AL's cheapo variant or $200 for a "prosumer variant," and that's in addition to the cost of the camera...to do what the water package was advertised to do on its own...The photos and videos underwater are all but worthless. The videos were grainy and blurry, with no evidence of 1080HD anywhere. Taking the thing in the water just distracted me from enjoying the scenery since I was so busy "Jacques Cousteauing" I spent time chasing down shots, or trying to capture something on film, only to find out later at the computer that it looked like videos taken on my kid's Leapsters. Did I mention the stainless steel screws and nuts that rusted in the course of 10 days of use? I washed it religiously after each salt water exposure, and used a little local variety WD40, and the hardware was still visibly corroded after that short of an exposure to a salt water environment.

All in all, I think the HD GO PRO is a colossal waste of money and a generally disappointing product. I probably could have gotten it to work the way it should have...added a viewfinder for another $100...purchased the special aftermarket 3rd party underwater filter for $80. (free WECSOG install that I'm sure would have provided a waterproof seal at 60 ft.) Maybe an upgrade of the hardware to some sort of marine resistant finish?? But why bother. I'll stick with any point and shoot from Sony, Canon, Panasonic etc...which all kick this little turd's ass.

I found that when I abandoned the camera and left it in the house, I spent less time browsing through hundreds of bad photos to find one good shot, less time culling bad photos, and less time clearing space off the card for more garbage shots...IE more time vacationing on my vacation rather than trying to sort through a bunch of photos to find "the good one."

Your mileage may vary...I'm just giving one man's experience. Luckily Best Buy was more than apologetic in accepting the return. In the words of the pubescent Best Buy clerk in the return line..."Most of these end up getting returned."

Maybe slung on a picatinny rail, it magically transforms into a high def precision optic capturing that moment of impact on the target...I personally would rather use it as THE target. </div></div>

Soooooo your vote is Contour....LOL

Sucks you had such a bad experience...noted...

I'm not planning on using this in the water...not as a replacement for another camera for still photos...for POV action images and video...and it looks like from other users that both of these cameras will do what I want them for.

Contour... I use it on my ar's, bow and from time to time... Shotgun. Simple to operate, 1080 and compact. Audio is the only thing I would ding it for....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SuaSponte175</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have you looked at the Replay XD1080? It seems like a pretty bad ass little camera. </div></div>

I would second the Replay.......if they can stand up to Robby Gordon's abuse, they are good enough for me. I am biased though, my race team gets to use all of their latest equipment. I know one of the owners and he is constantly working on ways to improve their already awesome products.

I like my GoPro. I attach it to my helmet for power sports and my airplanes for a birds eye view. I have worn it for POV in shooting stuff and there are mounts made for picitiny rails for rifles. I will recommend the GoPro, especially the new Hero2 for simplicity of controls.

Bronco_buster, sorry you had so much trouble with yours, they really are great little cameras. GoPro has an underwater housing now that they manufacture and its fantastic. The lack of view finder has not caused me any problems in over a year of use, but I may just get lucky with it all the time. Fogging does not occur if you don't open the housing and let water in while you are using it, and there are anti-fog inserts much like those that go in gun safes made for that problem. Putting the case by itself in the freezer for a bit and then closing the camera back inside it actually will create positive pressure on the inside, thus keeping the air from condensing and fogging.

The new Hero2 screen menu is also drastically improved over the original. Here is some video for a quick idea of weapon filming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-2EvDV9vlM&feature=related