• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

GoreTex Boots or Not?

SFree

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2005
USA
Issues and questions about the function and longevity have come up with gore tex in garments, but what about boot linings? I have had and still do have gore tex lined boots but are only warrentied for a year, and do tend to loose effectiveness so my question is are gore tex boots necessary and do the linings last long enough to warrent their purchase?
What measures do you take to water resist with a non water resistant boots?

Re: GoreTex Boots or Not?

All of my hunting boots are waterproof (mostly with gore tex linings). And yes it is worth the investment.

without gore-tex (or equiv) your feet are gonna get wet if you are slushing through snow, water, etc.
i stopped buying boots without gore-tex. its not much more and its much more comfortable having dry feet in bad conditions than having to deal with damp feet all the time.

I combine gore-tex with a outter shell in good quality leather and water proof the leather often...it seems to keep my boots waterproof for years and leather in good shape. Yes you may clog up the so called breathability but to me it is not a problem.

Search for a boot with E Vent fabric. My Kayland Super-Rock boots with E Vent are great. Gore-Tex is not the only choice for water proof breathable boot.~~~~~~~~~~~~~bog

Non Gore-tex boots are great for hot/wet environments and hot/dry environments. When it's really wet, your feet will be wet anyway. Leaving out the membrane allows the water to drain more easily. When it's hot and dry, you want the the boots as breathable as possible. Cold/wet, Gore-tex will help, but probably won't be waterproof enough to keep your feet comfortable. Cold and dry, it won't hurt. and will add a little warmth.

I guess you could say choosing a waterproof membrane is really mission dependent.

When I spoke with my Danner rep this is what he said regarding the 'why' of a one year warranty on 'most' goretex lined boots(paraphrase)
The boots are made of a inside out leather so that the rough side is out. This causes more extreme wear on the boot itself so it is only expected to last one year. A boot with a smooth outer will last longer, and sometimes have a longer warranty because of this.
If you get more than a year out of your Danner's(USA Issue) then you are doing really good. Reworking soles, eyelets, and things like that are easy enough, but for the outers it is cheaper to do a total replacement.

It's not really about the goretex liner wearing out as much as it is about the leather wearing out. Facts of life. Synthetic vs Natural product

Sree, what do you do and how will you use the boots? The question about shoeware is so personal that it becomes broad in a central issue. I have heard so many discussions. Do you walk distance? Do you want to keep warm? etc. By lining do you mean boot sock? Are you in a tree stand 800 yards from your truck? Do you plan to yomp 25 miles with a 90lb bergen and then stage it for an attacK?

See Malvinas, for instance.

2w2kd5l.jpg

It is not my picture. It is the father of a member on this site. I like it too and its immense size when added to every post. I think it should become a standard part of this website. Anyone that posts should have it at the end of their every post

Yomp = march. Tab = march. The marching part is what makes grunts. Snipers are grunts, at least in the U.S. Marine Corps. All else is just internetery. Don't get me wrong, accuracy is a priority but shooting is a part of the skill set.

2w2kd5l.jpg

I wear goretex boots in the winter. Either my Danners or a set of Belleville ICB's I was issued back in the day. They both have more than eight years on them. The Danners are in desperate need of some new soles and the ICB's are close. It seems snow and mud isn't near as hard on vibram soles as force marches on pavement.

For summer wear I prefer leather or cordura boots without goretex. In hot environments the goretex does not allow your feet to breathe well enough.

In the jungle light and quick draining is the order of the day. It doesn't matter what you do, your feet WILL be wet.

I don't like goretex garments for serious rain protection. They work OK in lighter rain but I've always found they eventually fail in serious sustained downpours. But I live in a wet area of the US so it may not apply overall.

In boots Goretex works OK up until total saturating wet conditions when I find that they start to leak a little around points of stitches from my experience. However, after a year or so all of my Goretex boots have leaked even in mild conditions. The membrane is just being worked on so hard through flexing I'm just assuming that it is failing. Whether it is failing on a seam or somewhere else I don't know. <span style="font-weight: bold">Also, foot perspiration makes the inside of your boots wet and Gortex won't solve it.</span> But overall Goretex in boots is probably a good idea but is not an end all. I also have rubber boats which of course don't leak but may be less comfortable in drier conditions.

As a backup if I know I'm going to be in super wet conditions I will put my feet with thin insulating layers into 1 Gallon Freezer Ziploc bags and then place those inside a wool sock and then into the boots. After a humidity equilibrium is reached your skin will stop sweating and they will stay dry. They will be impervious to water except if it comes over the tops. The freezer Ziploc bags have thick plastic and are really durable and you can wear them for some time like this and they won't develop leaks.

I've done this trick many times and on longer snow-shoe trips if I think my boots will have problems due to wet snow and my feet stay warm and dry. Carrying a couple extra ziplocs in your pack is always a good idea in this regard and for other reasons. Your boots can be totally soaked but if you have your feet in dry wool socks (or even damp socks) and the Ziploc bags you will stay warm as the plastic forms a vapor barrier and you will be protected from the colder water outside on the boots.

In fact, I also always carry a couple extra heavy contractor grade trash bags as well. They make excellent field expedient rain gear, emergency shelters and can be filled with forest duff if necessary to work as a sleeping bag/blankets in a shelter. They too are worth their weight to carry. I'd rather have a few trash bags than even those mylar space blankets people like. Trash bags are far more durable and versatile. IMO.

EDIT: This winter mountaineering FAQ discusses the foot in the bag trick: http://www.winterschool.org/faqs.html#9

All boots have a hole in the top; where you put your feet in. The more lining the longer they take to dry out.

In cold weather goretex or some-kind of waterproof membrane are worth it. They don't last that long depending on the milage you do. Nothing beats a pair of wellington boots for keeping water out but then you can't go at speed.

If its very hot goretex and other lined boots will really do you in as they can't breath fast enough and add to overheating.

Really no need to wear a heavy boots today and the better types can be light weight and stiff enough (shank) for carrying weight on the hill. Boot fit and renew them often. I'm wearing Lowa Seeka GTX (with gaiters when its very bad) and they are doing fine and on their second season.

The trick with any footwear is to dry them thoroughly, especially the insides, every night. Or dry socks at the end of the day (even if you have to put damp ones back on in the morning).

A good leather boot with gortex lining is the best really. The leather on its own can be treated and conditioned to be virtually waterproof. I've got several pairs of Meindls without gortex lining that have stayed dry all day in some very wet conditions. Its just a matter of looking after them. If and when the gortex does fail at least the leather should hold up (not gonna happen with a fabric/gortex combo)

Combining with gaiters is a must too I'd say (Berghaus Yeti for a total overboot solution) but standard gaiters will make a huge difference.

Wellington rubber boots IMHO are only good for tramping around a farm yard (poor ankle support and non breathable)

Gore Tex is hot. It doesn't bother some people, it does bother me. I get along best with full grain leather boots for cold and wet weather. If I'm using boots in cold wet, a winter pair a half-size bigger with arctic weight wool socks is my choice. Hot and wet is a different story.

The best way to waterproof full grain leather is with plain old beeswax (try Sno Seal from atsko). Find it at Wal-Mart. It is cheap, and it works. All the liquid water-proofing treatments will flow through the leather and eventually wind up on the inside, while the outside is vulnerable to water. Beeswax stays on the outside for up to a year. You don't have to re-treat it every time the boot gets wet.

The full grain leather boots are also a <span style="text-decoration: underline">lot</span> more durable than the leather/fabric/suede patchwork type boots or shoes. They're also a lot more expensive usually. How hard are you going to use them? For some of us, taking care of our feet determines whether or not we are able to do our job.

Hope this helps. I'm pretty much done with goretex in my boots. The only problem now is finding ones without it, because most of the boot/shoe makers have all got on the bandwagon. Finding good boots without goretex is much harder than finding ones with.

Great responses guys!
I do heavy construction (building a power house) and my boots of choice are the ones I wear every day, on the job, in the yard, woods, hunting, everywhere. My environments are not kind to footwear and they do get exposed to the elements. Thats why I was looking for anecdotal info.
Have been looking and tried a pair of La Sportiva Glaciers, great boots.

I managed to step into some kind of plastic trof thing last week full of oil and green water and god knows what else. I was wearing a pair of goretex lined belleville boots that are about 1.5 years old. None of that shit got inside my boot. But yeah I didn't breach the hole where my foot goes in.

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> <span style="font-size: 11pt">
I've got a 5 and a half year old pair of Danners that are GoteTex lined. I was sloshing around in wet snow all day on Saturday. Feet were dry all day. No coyotes though. GoreTex = Good.

Bob
</span> </span>

I just got an email from LA Police Gear. They have 10% off of Danner boots until March 8th with code DANNER10.

Bob
</span> </span>

I have a pair of Rocky and the sole came off and Rocky would not replace them.

I have one pair of snakeproof, waterproof Rocky boots that I wear in the swamp in the warm weather.
All other times I wear drainable boots. Currently I wear Rocky S2V boots. They are super tough, I am wearing my first of three pair I bought 2 1/2 years ago. I will retire them this summer and start on the second pair in ernest( I have been wearing them to break them in a little). By the time I wear out the third pair boots will have gotten even better.
I live in the very deep south, hot, humid, wet. YMMV

<-- Agree with XOR.

Gortex only works when it can breathe. Your feet sweat, the lint from your sock, dust, liner material rubbing on the membrane, etc plug the membrane. It no longer breathes. Wet feet is wet feet.

I do think you can get by with less insulation with gortex simply b/c it traps more heat.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trigger time</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just ordered another set of Danners. Thanks for the code Bob! </div></div>

Glad you could use it.

Bob
</span> </span>

This is my first post but it is a topic I am familiar with.

For a long time GoreTex was the only waterproof/breathable game there was. Gortex works great at being waterproof. The dampness most people complain about comes from your perspiration not the fabric wearing out and letting water in. As gore get older it gets dirt in the pores and the outside doesn't shed water as fast. This causes your sweat to escape slower making you feel damp. Even brand new Gore garments feel clammy. This is because they do not transport sweat very fast (you can find all kinds of science behind this if you look). Basically the EVent fabric moves sweat from inside to outside much faster than Gore. If you look at research into both fabrics you will see why. I do a lot of medium altitude climbing and sports and recently tried an EVent jacket. I have to say I will not buy Gore again, it works that much better. If you can find boots with EVent in them pick'em up.

Sorry for not being brief but these things cost a lot of money. Hope whatever you buy works out.

So if this EVent fabric is so much better than GoreTex, is it also so much more <span style="font-style: italic">expensive? </span>

hey sfree,
i also work in a lot of power plants and construction sites. the grating on those catwalks sure are tough on the soles especially on those long outages. after several years of many types of boots i've found a good pair of redwing leather boots is what's best for me. they stay waterproof until a nail or screw comes thru the bottom. their leather has always performed well and the redwing store will oil them into eternity at no charge.i've had several pair of gortex hunting boots, gloves, rain gear...all eventually leak. i cannot say yet about this e vent but if affordable and easy to keep scent free they may likely be my next pair of midweight hunting boots.

The EVent is comparable to Gore in price. The price would fluctuate more from the brand name attached to it. The last jacket I bought in it was actually cheaper than most of the Gore jackets around. If you get a chance try it out. I was actually very impressed with how efficiently it moved sweat. One caveat though, you feel a bit colder when wearing it than compare to Gore. It is because the sweat is moving off you so quickly there is evaporative cooling. Easily solved with an extra layer though.

Unless you get a hole or break a stitch Gore and EVent will not leak. Most of the time that people complain of leaking Gore it is because it no longer moves sweat causing it to build up and condense. This is usually caused because the pores in the membrane get clogged with dirt and cannot move sweat. The biggest difference with EVent is that the pores are much more clog resistant.

Geez I sound like I work for these guys
wink.gif
We should be talking about ballistics and stuff here
smile.gif
Hope this info is helping someone.

SFree, Look at Hoffman boots out in Kellogg Idaho. Excellent customer service, 100% US Made, usually about a week turn around once they recieve your boots for rebuild. They usually can rebuild anything with a stitched on sole.They make their own goretex liner and I've never had a probelm with them in the three pair I have.

"The leather on its own can be treated and conditioned to be virtually waterproof. I've got several pairs of Meindls without gortex lining that have stayed dry all day in some very wet conditions. Its just a matter of looking after them."
x2!

I gave up on gore-tex in good boots years ago. It is an excuse to not take care of your boots, it makes them hot and accelerates the boots wearing out. I buy very high quality boots and keep after them. Leather lining is the way to go. You need to let the boots dry out (inside and out) or they will get destroyed). Leather handles wet dry cycles very well, breathes and is incredibly durable while being supple, flexible and strong.

For work I wear steel toed Blundstones with some kind of super waterproofing on the leather. It takes me between 3-4 years to totally wear these out. They are light and super comfortable. I order them in multiples from Australia. The hardcore work boot versions were never available here. I've got a new pair in the closet and under a year left on my current issue.

When it is exceptionally wet, cold or snowy, I wear the HD Muck Boots. If I am going to be in water higher than my Muck boots, I wear chest waders...

I have been wearing a pair of Merrell Quark Mid Waterproof boots for the past few weeks in temps ranging from 30*f to -30F
with wool socks and they have treated me well. -30 is probably about as cold as you want to go with them. The vibram soles on these things are great.
IMG00052-20100302-1021.jpg

Quark

i was issued some gore-tex boots for my first go-round in kuwait's rainy season in 2006-2007. I still have them and they're my go-to warm-weather hunting boots.

Still 100% waterproof all the way up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SFree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Issues and questions about the function and longevity have come up with gore tex in garments, but what about boot linings? I have had and still do have gore tex lined boots but are only warrentied for a year, and do tend to loose effectiveness so my question is are gore tex boots necessary and do the linings last long enough to warrent their purchase?
What measures do you take to water resist with a non water resistant boots? </div></div>

YES to Gore Tex if you will be in snow.

NO to Gore Tex if you will be hiking in the hot desert.