• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Got 1200 to spend on a scope. Opinions?

KRM427

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2011
Virginia
I have 1500 max to spend on a scope. What is the best for that price range.. I know there are a lot but what are your opinion's

Re: Got 1200 to spend on a scope. Opinions?

What are you going to do with it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kengel2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1500 or 1200? </div></div>

Good catch.

1500 is my max. I think you get the point.. FFp would be nice I dont need more than 15 power

at what power are the Mildots accurate on a NF.. I'm not sure I worded that correctly. I'm still a noob so bear with the "rookie" questions

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRM427</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at what power are the Mildots accurate on a NF.. I'm not sure I worded that correctly. I'm still a noob so bear with the "rookie" questions </div></div>

Max power.

There is a group buy going on right now for the HDMR through GAP as well.

Vortex Viper PST 4-16 or 6-24. You can get FFP mil/mil for under a grand. Good quality, good customer service. Research them a bit and you'll see. That's what I did when I was in your shoes not long ago and I'm happy with my choice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRM427</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 1500 max to spend on a scope. What is the best for that price range.. I know there are a lot but what are your opinion's </div></div>

What gun?
What caliber?
What range?
What kind of use?

With your budget, you have to first consider what is more important to you. If you're thinking tactical, then I'd say Nightforce. It's a tough scope with good glass.

If glass quality is what you're looking for, I'd go Swarovski.

Look for them used and you'll find one within your budget.

Used nightforce their are several nice ones for sale in the px

savage action, 6.5/06. Mannars stock Long range target shooting and it's my hunting rifle as well...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Goin'Hot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KRM427</div><div class="ubbcode-body">at what power are the Mildots accurate on a NF.. I'm not sure I worded that correctly. I'm still a noob so bear with the "rookie" questions </div></div>

Max power. </div></div>

Max power true, But there is slight adjustment pasted the max power mark for a NF SFP scope. But you will want to confirm on a known size target and see if it indeed mils at the correct zoom value.

Since you intend on hunting with it, I would lean towards 3 or 4 power on the low end.

I run an IOR 3-18x42 FFP, I love it. Right around your upper limit of 1500 (contact Scott at Liberty Optics). The scope comes with a very high quality set of rings ($110 value).

You may want to look at the Weaver 3-15 illuminated FFP tactical or the the Vortex PST 4-16.

The Bushnell 3-12x FFP tactical would also be an excellent choice though you might find yourself wishing for more power.

If you are going to using the rifle primarily on a range and occasional hunting where you won't be using holdovers or leads, consider a quality SFP scope. This would open up the likes of NF to you.

when I look through the 6.5-20x50 Mk 4 Leupold even at 6.5 power or 20 power, I think I can see all I need to for hunting.

the difference is only of interest i think in less than 100 yard shots. and for that do you really need a scope?