• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got a line on a Winchester model of 1917. Worth it?

TenZero

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2011
Texas
I don't know too much about vintage rifles, so I wanted to ask the fine folks of the hide. I have been offered a Winchester model of 1917 in a trade. I have found values all over the place on the net, and so I'm not certain what I have here. Here's what I know: It is stamped U.S. MODEL OF 1917 WINCHESTER 3508XX. It is chambered in 30.06, and has what looks to be all original wood, bluing, hardware, etc. Action is nice and smooth. It is not "fresh from cosmoline" or anything like that, but it seems in nice shape for a 95 year old service rifle. It has not been modded, polished, or sporterized that I can tell. It was acquired as payment for legal fees back in the 70's, so I'm fairly sure it's not a clone or anything like that. If anyone has advice on what I need to look for, or questions I need to ask, please feel free to chime in. My Grandfather and his twin brother both fought in WW1, and I'm interested for both sentimental and collectible reasons. I'd estimate the value of the gun I'm trading at about $1100. Thanks in advance.

Need pics. But a 100% mint one avg $800-$950. But tons have been rebuilt for WWII and lend leases. Post some pics.

Need pics. But a 100% mint one avg $800-$950. But tons have been rebuilt for WWII and lend leases. Post some pics.
+1

I've seen really nice ones hit $1000+, but that's not usually the case. There were three makers of the M1917; Eddystone, Remington and Winchester. The Winchesters are the least common. There are a lot of possible factors in value, though.

Check that the bolt and front of the stock has a W mark and the barrel is dated in the WW I era and is bight and shiny with not pitting evident and is also Winchester marked. As previously posted many were rebuilt for WW II and non Winchester parts were used. If the rifle is pristine and correct it could bring $1000 form the right buyer

Thanks, that is a good start. I will try to get some pics up. I looked at the stock closely, and did not find anything that looks like a 'W'. On the bottom of the stock, behind the trigger guard, I found a 'P', in a box, about 1/2" square, with maybe an obscured date code. While it could be a correct and original Winchester, I wouldn't call it mint. Do grading criteria change somewhat for guns this old?

I would say that the grading criteria IS somewhat different, if you are comparing to guns of the modern era. Something that is pushing 100 years old and stated to be in "excellent" condition is usually still going to have a few dings, scratches and edge/corner wear on the finish. That is expected. For the ones that are truly "mint", those are the ones that bring the big bucks. But, again, that depends on if it's a rebuild, or in it's original "as manufactured" state. Of course a mint looking rebuild could still bring as much (or more to the right buyer) as an "excellent" rifle that hasn't been rebuilt. But, a truly mint, all original gun is going to take the cake. Rifles in this state/condition are very uncommon.

John

Thanks, that is a good start. I will try to get some pics up. I looked at the stock closely, and did not find anything that looks like a 'W'. On the bottom of the stock, behind the trigger guard, I found a 'P', in a box, about 1/2" square, with maybe an obscured date code. While it could be a correct and original Winchester, I wouldn't call it mint. Do grading criteria change somewhat for guns this old?

The W for a Winchester stock is art thievery front end of the stock. If you hold the rifle towards you it would be at the flat end of the stock.
if it is not there it is probably a replacement stock. Behind the trigger guard you should also see an eagle head.

Check to make sure the receiver,bolt and barrel are from the same manufacturer. If not it would indicate an arsenal rebuild. Also any Parkerizing indicates arsenal rebuilds. Stock should also match. The arsenal rebuilds are far more common and still very collectable but don't bring the premium prices. Badass old warhorse in any case.

World War 1 M1917 bluing (more properly browning) is dull (yes, I know this is a Remington, Winchester rifles looked the same):

standard.jpg

If the bluing is shiny it has been reblued.

In addition to the W manufacturer's mark on the stock tip, the stock should have eagles' head proofs stamped on it ... a number in the 400-600 range is a Winchester stock. If the number below the eagle head is between 1 and 200 it is an Eddystone stock... if the number is between 201 and 399 it is Remington.

Every part on the rifle should be Winchester on an original rifle. The P inside a box is a WW2 era proof, indicating refurbishment.