• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

got a new dpms g2 hunter on it's way. couple questions

B

boomer81

i got me and a customer one of the new g2 hunters coming. should be here wednesday. somthing i have not really found any info is do these take the standard dpms mag pattern i figure they would be stupid to change but you never know. and should the timney triggers still be able to drop in these or will i need to wait on a new design. i ask because it seems they tried to slim these down make slimmer and smaller etc.

They take the normal DPMS mags and you shouldn't need to change the trigger IMO. They come with a pretty nice trigger.

The factory 2 Stage Trigger on my Gen II Recon is Fantastic. I would not change it for anything else as it'll just be a waste of money. It'll take the DMPS Steel Mags like the Gen I. But I would definitely go with the Magpul Pmags.

Great to hear. Also im thinking about putting a viper pst mrad ffp 6-24 on this. Im taking it to badlands training next month along with a 700 in 300 mag. Is that scope overkill for this gun would you go 4-16

I would go with a 15-18X on the top end, 3-4X on the low. I really like the 3.5-15X50 Nightforce on my 20" .308 AR. I have shot it at 1000 with no problem at all.

pictures with 5shot group target pics or it didn't happen! ;)

i got me and a customer one of the new g2 hunters coming. should be here wednesday. somthing i have not really found any info is do these take the standard dpms mag pattern i figure they would be stupid to change but you never know. and should the timney triggers still be able to drop in these or will i need to wait on a new design. i ask because it seems they tried to slim these down make slimmer and smaller etc.

I also ordered a gen 2 Hunter last week. I plan to put a Bushnell HDMR on it when I get my funds saved back up.

Went by Buds and picked up my G-2 hunter yesterday. It will be several weeks before I can get to a range to put it to the test. My initial impression, this is one well built rifle. The ergonomics are great. This is one damn fine looking rifle.

That's the model that I really took a liking to immediately at SHOT. I liked it and the 24" bull actually, and I don't like a lot of 24" bull AR's.

It's really a great rifle, and I thought for sure I would never say that about anything from DPMS to be honest. The .308 GII Hunter is the type of rifle that would almost get me back into .308 Winchester, and I don't really like .308 Win. I've spent a lifetime shooting it, but I got out of owning any rifles in it and loading for it.

I'm going to do something else with the GII when I get one.

After reading the owners manual I read the barrel conditioning and accuracy section, it says " To achieve the best results for accuracy you should clean the chamber and bore after every round for the first 25 rounds and then every 10 rounds up to 100 rounds." Better take plenty of patches and Hoppies on the first trip to the range.

Ok........... All these posts with no pics?

Here's my newly aquired Hunter:
u2e5y2u8.jpg

6evy3edy.jpg

ubu3a9eb.jpg

6y4u4yjy.jpg

Don't have pics. Mine shot good groups as well. But how was the recoil on yours. I split my year hunting and target shooting and this was my first good range session in a while im a big dude and this light weight bitch kicked the shit out of me. And i shot close to 3k rounds with a 700 sps aac 16 inch last summer.
(with a can of course) I hunt with a 7 mag (limbsaver of course) 139 for varmints up to 190 for target. This thing hit me like a 300 which is about right do the math cut the weight of the gun in half 168gr. But ive had a saiga .308 as light as this So it may be the new magpul stock.

I didn't find recoil to be bad at all. I have a decent strawberry, but I never found it to be uncomfortable while was shooting.

I didn't find recoil to be bad at all. I have a decent strawberry, but I never found it to be uncomfortable while was shooting.

How many rounds shot to get that "decent strawberry"? I have a LR308 that is pretty light (10lbs w/ 10x scope and offset irons but empty magwell) and I've never found it uncomfortable to shoot either.

That was after the 65 rounds I shot that day. Like I said it was never remotely uncomfortable, maybe I just bruise easily.

You guys with the new g2s what's the primers in the spent cases looking like everyone of mine is catering with factory ammo. Curious if there all doing this

I have 700 rounds of 7.62 Lake City circa 2013 M80FMJ through my DPMS Gen 2 recon. No ejection or misfire or feeding issues to date. I plan on swaging the crimped mil spec primer pockets on the brass and reloading them. No brass neck or case distortions. IMO it's an unjustified worry - just rock on brother.

The Gen 2 will take almost any standard AR 15 fire control group. You will have to remove the safety selector beforehand to get the room in the lower receiver.

I installed a Nordic Components 13" round free float tube made for standard ARs with no problems using standard AR15 tools. No gas block or gas tube clearance problems. IMO, if you have a Gen2 model the standard GI front sight is not part of the gas block in the MOE and AP4 and I would opine just about any Standard AR free float tube will fit over the gas block just fine.

The charging handle is a unique length and the BCG are unique. I am using a Badger tactical charging handle with a 3/32" tension pin in lieu of the standard 1/16" pin. I offset milled the pin hole a hair (literally) away from the edge.

The buffer tube is the slightly wider "commercial" version - but Magpul's entire line of stocks is available commonly in the "commercial" size.

Last edited:
All of this sounds so good that I can't stand it. Don't know if I can wait for the 6.5 Creedmore to come out in the Hunter model. Really trying to wait.