• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Got a NXS and still wanting more.

wdhigh

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2010
Summerville, SC
I bought another NXS with NP-1 reticle. I don't use holdovers and will be hunting with this gun a lot.

I am not crazy about the glass at all. I expected to be decent glass and wonder if I expected too much? Problem is this purchase is at the tip top of my optic budget. I can in no way afford a SB or diavari.

The rifle will be used for hunting and target shooting. I am awaiting to get into a class at my club that will allow me to shoot out to 800yds. That being said I want something capable of that range when the time comes.

I also sold my first nxs due to not liking the reticle and tried a 4-16 ffp viper PST. Immediately returned it when both a millet buck gold and a 4200 bushnell were noticeably better in low light.

Any suggestions for a scope that can pull double duty in the $1k-$1250 price? MK4 maybe?

Re: Got a NXS and still wanting more.

What's your complaint? You chose the wrong reticule again or you don't like the clarity quality (or lack of it)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdhigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any suggestions for a scope that can pull double duty in the $1k-$1250 price? MK4 maybe? </div></div>

Have you looked at the Zeiss Conquest scopes?
The glass is great, and the 4.5-14 or the 6.5-20 are both great hunting scopes. Get the target turrets and a 20 moa base and you should be fine for the occasional 800 yards at the range.
Can't help with the MK 4. I've never owned one.

What power is your NightForce NXS and when was it manufactured? If it's in good condition, I'm quite certain you will have no problem selling your NightForce NXS with less than "decent" glass.

I've owned three NightForce scopes and each of them have been top notch in construction and quality of glass. No it's not an S&B, Hensoldt, or Premier but it doesn't cost as much as for comparable optical clarity.

Sounds like you're wanting Dom Perignon but only have enough pesos for Schlitz beer. Just sayin...

CheapBastardLogo-5.jpg

I own NF,Zeiss, and Swarovski. I can line up all 3 brands with a resolution set at 100yds Ill be dammed if you can tell much difference between the three. Its so slight most will never be able to tell. Your splitting hairs.

It was manufactured 9-1-10. 3.5-15x56 no zero stop no hi-speed.

I just bought it in august this year.

I like the reticle this time, just in the field it does not seem to do much in low light. I might be expecting too much coming from a meopta meostar on this rifle to an nxs. I knew I was giving up a little on the low light side right from the start. For the most part opinions on this and other boards was that it was still very good optically. I am very impressed at the repeatability of the turrets. The thing is spot on in that dept.

Is it possible not all NF are equal? I read so many good remarks about the glass in them that I felt good about using one for my intended needs.

I will continue to use it for the last 2 months of the season. I will attempt to find some other scopes to compare it to before I take another loss.

Thanks for the responses.

If you didnt like 2 different Nightforce and 1 Viper PST I would say you are being too critical in your glass. I have seen slight differences between NF scopes but not enough to say one was not acceptable over another.
Are you thinking you spent too much and have less expensive scopes that work just as well for you? If that is the case I would sell the NF, get the less expensive scope, and pocket the cash.

See if you can get your hands on some of the new Weaver glass. I have a 15x mil/mil FFP model and the glass is excellent. Very bright and clear. I'm mentioning this b/c obviously a big heavy scope is not an issue for you.

There's a 4-14 SFP mil mil IOR out now for 1200. I think it has the new style illumination and 10 mil elevation turret. Crosshairs have lots of holdovers and are a bit thick but you get a floating 1/4MOA center dot in a 1 mil box for an aiming point. So when target shooting you can dial and have a fine aiming center, hold over, or when hunting you bracket and shoot. IOR glass is great in low light too.

Libertyoptics.com for IOR

But then, I also think that Nightforce do well in low light...you don't seem to...so ymmv..............

i got a millet buck gold 4-16 that i will trade ya, but you need to pay the shipping LOL...

At it’s very worst Nightforce has very good glass.

I had some problems due to not setting the ocular focus properly. Once it was set right, optical quality was excellent.

The rear ocular is more than just focusing the crosshair, too much either way - and the view can get funky. Follow the instructions in the manual to the "letter". The ocular focus and the parallax adjustment work in tandem

I would play around with it a bit more before you bail. Either that, or start saving.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TCW</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At it’s very worst Nightforce has very good glass.

I had some problems due to not setting the ocular focus properly. Once it was set right, optical quality was excellent.

The rear ocular is more than just focusing the crosshair, too much either way - and the view can get funky. Follow the instructions in the manual to the "letter". The ocular focus and the parallax adjustment work in tandem

I would play around with it a bit more before you bail. Either that, or start saving.
</div></div>

Yep TCW hit the nail on the head. Yeah...if a NF is insufficient for you optically your screwed unless you have $1000 or so extra to spend.

I have friends that own Hensoldt,S$B and I have a IOR and NF-F1. The glass is a tad bit better than NF but not to the point that I'm disappointed.

Save and buy a Schmidty!

Problem solved.

No where to go but up to Schmidt or a Hensholdt, start saving your pennies!!!

My NXS is not the best glass I have ever looked through, but the internals are rock solid dependable and repeatable. I will trade a little clarity for repeatability every time!
I have seen Schmidts lock up, but I have not seen an NXS lock up (I am sure it has happened, just not around me, on the other hand I have witnessed two Schmidts shit the bed).

I suggest you look through a couple more similar NXS scopes and if yours still looks bad in comparison, send your scope to Nightforce to evaluate.

Thanks guys. I plan to keep it a little longer at the very least. Just seems like my glass is a little dim, but no where even close to as dim as the PST was. I had high hopes after all the great reviews on here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sandbogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No where to go but up to Schmidt or a Hensholdt, start saving your pennies!!!

</div></div>

What about the Premier?
Shouldn't it be right up there in the penny saving category?

Buy a USO SN3 .

Yes I am a fanboy , yeah they make nice scope's .

Maybe you should go and try to get behind a few different scopes

To my eye, the SS 5-20 has clearly better glass than the NF scopes I've looked through. And it is $500 or more cheaper than S&B, Hensoldt or Premier. (You can always look at used scopes too). Still, I'm surprised and would recommend monkeying with the ocular focus. I've made some difficult shots (low light, snowing) with a NF 2.5-10X32 and that scope has been great. Their glass is good enough and better than many.

Honestly if the NF isn't doing it for you the chances are there isn't anything out there that will, good luck in your search.

I had a less than happy experience myself. It took me a good long time getting settings right before the image looked good to me. Even then I thought that image wash "too bright". Colors were blended together especially next to a white object. It wasn't horrible by any means but I expected a little better from the ones I looked through.

Maybe on a rifle at the range and not in a sporting store I could have adjusted better but it wasn't a possibility.

I decided to pick up a uso. For many different reasons it best suits me and I hope the descriptions of the optical qualityis similar to what I read about.

Man, I know that Nightforce doesn't have the best glass, but if you find it lacking and a Millett better than a PST, I dont know what to say.

Today I was shooting my 22LR at 200yds and I can't see the bullets holes with the iron sights! What b.s. I need better eyes I guess. I need to save for another set. Does S&B sell an upgrade?

I've had 3 NF scopes. My latest is an F1. I think the glass is very nice even in low light. I've shot it right next to hendsolt and premier. I did like the glass on those two, but in no way did I feel like I was missing out on anything. With my first one the occular setting was off and things were a bit fuzzy. You might try messing with that. It was nightforce and day after I adjusted it.

The ph and hensoldt had nicer glass. Just not enough to make me want to sell my liver for one. (not yet)

I have an IOR 6-24 as an optic on a 243, the glass is rediculous, read up on the IOR lines, they have had issues, but the latest generations seem to be holding up well. Scott over at liberty optics was good to me and answered all my questions. I do not regret purchasing the one I own, I wish I could own a bunch more as a matter of fact!

OP; I was not impressed with the three 5.5-22's I've looked through as well. I didn't think it was horrible glass, but I certainly wasn't impressed. Also one of those three had a slightly canted reticle....

I won't debate their reliability/durability. I think they rock in that dept.

I was used to NF glass and when my 3.2-17x USO SN3 showed up I was disappointed in it's glass. Got another NF and rocked on, but now I'm thinking of trying out a Schmidt.

My point is, that in my case, my USO has worse glass than my two NF's. Not in a "questionable" type way, but in a resolution test that was verified by 3 other people besides myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: azimutha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To my eye, the SS 5-20 has clearly better glass than the NF scopes I've looked through. </div></div>

A buddy of mine shared the same thought with me. I haven't had a chance to look through both side by side so I can't say for certain. Has anyone else compared the glass of the NF to the SS 5-20 side by side?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TonyAngel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man, I know that Nightforce doesn't have the best glass, but if you find it lacking and a Millett better than a PST, I dont know what to say. </div></div>

well said. Years ago, I compromised and bought a Leupold...sold it, bought a Meopta...unhappy, sold it...Bought a NF and ahhh...hit the spot for me.
Owned Millett, nice but, no comparison to NF. PERIOD.

To each his own but, if NF isn't to your specs for "Lowlight" applications, then maybe look at NV....I use my NF for the same purpose you intend to use yours for, can only get to 600 at the club I'm in and have no problems whatsoever, even when the mirage sucks!! Also, Coulda taken Plenty of deer at/after dusk or before dawn with my NF....just saying.

I was in shock at the 4-16 pst!

Compared it at last hour of sunset.
Scopes were
1- vortex viper pst FFP moa 4-16x50
2- millet 4-16x56 buck gold. Pretty low end in my opinion
3- Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x50 30mm tube ILL 4A ret
4- Meopta meostar 3-12x56.

Obviously the meopta was the low light winner. Colors were better and warm. Bushnell was a lot closer to the meostar than I would like to admit for the price. Brightness was good, colors were just a little flat. For $399 it is an awesome value for a hunting scope. Pst was the first one put away. Very dark and strange green hue reflection from the coatings. None of the others were experiencing this, and confirmed by 3 others. Millet was way more useable and and could still make a shot when the pst was put away.

I was worried I would get shit for my post/question on here being that this is a NF strong crowd. My question has to do with the glass and the glass alone. I have seen it more than once that most of you are concerned with function/repeatability first and will give up low light glass quality to achieve it. Thats fine if that is what is important to you. I am trying to find the best bang for my buck and when I spend over a $1k I start to expect more than I do for $500.

Thank you for all your comments. I obviously am crazy and was only asking to confirm this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wdhigh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was in shock at the 4-16 pst!

Compared it at last hour of sunset.
Scopes were
1- vortex viper pst FFP moa 4-16x50
2- millet 4-16x56 buck gold. Pretty low end in my opinion
3- Bushnell 4200 2.5-10x50 30mm tube ILL 4A ret
4- Meopta meostar 3-12x56.

Obviously the meopta was the low light winner. Colors were better and warm. Bushnell was a lot closer to the meostar than I would like to admit for the price. Brightness was good, colors were just a little flat. For $399 it is an awesome value for a hunting scope. Pst was the first one put away. Very dark and strange green hue reflection from the coatings. None of the others were experiencing this, and confirmed by 3 others. Millet was way more useable and and could still make a shot when the pst was put away.

I was worried I would get shit for my post/question on here being that this is a NF strong crowd. My question has to do with the glass and the glass alone. I have seen it more than once that most of you are concerned with function/repeatability first and will give up low light glass quality to achieve it. Thats fine if that is what is important to you. I am trying to find the best bang for my buck and when I spend over a $1k I start to expect more than I do for $500.

Thank you for all your comments. I obviously am crazy and was only asking to confirm this.</div></div>

LoL...Not saying you're crazy...were these comparisions done at the same magnification?

Yes.

Now in the pst's defense it has been speculated many time that the 6-24 has better glass than the 4-16.

I was highly disappointed and had high hopes for it.

The glass was dim? Do you mean that the image was dark? At what power and when?

To the op, I have noticed some similar results. To MY eyeball some nightforce seem better than others, i have found the same to be true of mk4 and uso .

If i were you i would look at a s111 , ss hd 5-20 .
I just got my hands on a bushnell hdmr and it is better than nightforce in clarity and color to my eyes.

Get a used IOR or SWFA 5-20. IOR has awsome glass and awsome customer service

Get a SWFA 5-20, the glass quality is excellent for the price point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: K41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save and buy a Schmidty!

Problem solved.

41 </div></div>

I brought my 8-32x56 NXS and my 5-25 PM-II out one day for fellas at my gunclub to check out a couple months ago when it was getting dark around 8:30 or 9:00PM. I set the scopes up (both mounted on rifles) at about 7:30, and we spent until about 9:00 chatting and glassing targets, birds, squirrels, lumber and trees. We stopped prior to "complete darkness", but honestly, it was a pretty nice, "no pressure" testing session. The scopes were only tested from 8X to 25X, which both scopes have in common.

The results? 4 of 5 guys chose the NF over the SB for sharpness, clarity and color-rendering. The guy that chose the SB was the guy who shelled out almost $3k for it......ME!

My suggestion to the OP is to send the NF back and have NF look it over. Include a note that you're not sure the glass is up to typcial NF sharpness/clarity snuff. When you get it back, if it still isn't so great....well.....nothing ever will be for you.

Check out the Sightron SIII and Zeiss Conquest, for the money their hard to beat for low light use.

+12 on the IOR.

You may want to consider the Weaver 3-15x FFP illuminated scope. It will save you some coin and is an excellent range for hunting.
Not saying it is the equivilent of the NXS, but it is substantially cheaper.

With regards to comparing the SS 5-20 with Nightforce 5-22x50, I liked the Nightforce optics a touch more. Definitely not knocking the SS. I would like to have taken it out and played with it on the range for a day - seemed very nice.

There are many ways to evaluate glass. Some glass may be better is X situation, while another may be better in Y situation.

NF glass tends to resolve really well from my experience and it focuses very narrowly. The glass is of useful quality and the scope is built like a tank.

My problem with my NF scopes is that at times I won't be able to get the reticle focused. It tends to wash out and make it impossible to fire.

I own Leupold, NF, Zeiss Conquests, Meopta, Swarovski, and a few others. I've also used SIIIs and a few others.

For brightness, the Swaro glass is best. For Clarity, the Swaro is best---however that's a pair of binos.

For brightness, my Zeiss Conquest is brighter than the NF glass. However, the NF is clearer...the image is easier to see, though there is more of a dark tint.

For a hard use gun, I wouldn't trust the durability of the Conquest, but for hunting and range shooting its very, very good for the money. Glass is a toss up with the NXS, both having their advantages.

I rank the scopes I've used as follows:

NF>Zeiss Conquest>Sightron SIII>Meopta>Leupold

For the record, my next glass purchase is likely to be a S&B or an F1.

For the NF glass, the one thing I don't like about it is the color fringing. You can see a purplish tinge on the borders of high contrast outlines.

If they made an HD glass version that would make things quite a bit better. Also at higher magnification (20-22x) the image has that dull milky color.

This I assumed at first this was due to insufficient light. My old Nikon Monarch 4-16x had the same issue and it only had a 44mm objective lens. My NF has the 56mm bell...

My 6.5-20x50mm MK4 hever had any of these problems. It is perfectly clear throughout the entire magnification range.

I love the fact nightforce are just so reliable, so much that you can trust them with your life.

However there is no way in hell NF glass is half of what euro glass is, if you prefer it, you must be comparing it at 100 yards or something.

Not knocking NF, they are great scopes, but their glass is second rate, no doubt about it.

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I love the fact nightforce are just so reliable, so much that you can trust them with your life.

However there is no way in hell NF glass is half of what euro glass is, if you prefer it, you must be comparing it at 100 yards or something.

Not knocking NF, they are great scopes, but their glass is second rate, no doubt about it.

Chris</div></div>

Second rate, huh? What particular Euro glass are you comparing the NightForce to that makes you say the glass is second rate? I ask because I definitely have to take a look through whatever it is that you are. Nightforce may not be the absolute best in the industry but it damn sure isn't second rate by a long shot but, that's just my humble opinion of course.
wink.gif

I'd have to say the best clarity I've seen was through a Swarovski spotter and it was absolutely flawless.

Killshot, I think what he's saying is it's not the absolute best. That would make it less than the best or second rate.

No one likes to hear that their brand of vodka isn't as good as the next guys. I wanted a nightforce like crazy. So bad in fact I checked them out at a couple shops. For the life of me I couldn't get the image to look right. The other Gus thought it was fine, but no amount of adjusting worked perfect for me.

I took a gamble and ordered a USO with every feature I could want. I think it will work for me, but who knows maybe it won't.

My roommate has a Simmons and he likes it just fine. I couldn't get any quality image in my natural cheek weld, so I scooted up, and up and up until I could see the target clearly. Looked great. I didn't however think about the fact I was .2 inches away from the occular shooting a 7mm mag. I got a little kiss on the bridge of my nose for that mistake.

Scopes are almost more personal than rifles IMHO. Especially when mounting them.