• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got Accepted to Med school! Last Rifle purchase?

Continuum

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2008
Wichita, KS
KU SOM Class of 2015!

There will at least a 5 year gun budget freeze for me. So one last hurrah? I've had my eye set on something such as an FN SCAR 17s? Or perhaps a Sako TRG 42? Also if there is any performance reports on the that .308 SCAR i'd love to hear it. I've heard its capable of maybe 1.0-1.5moa at 800yds-ish? Sub-moa at 100yd? All with FGMM or handloads? AS a lefty I am drawn to that particular rifle when it comes to semi-autos.

I also thought an AAC Ti-rant 9mm suppressor with something (M&P Spec ops, P226, X5, get my P30L threaded by tornado, etc). I figure with a future move, and lack of time to worry about owning NFA stuff, I'd probably self that idea for now.

Re: Got Accepted to Med school! Last Rifle purchase?

congrats! prepare yourself for long hrs in the library
wink.gif

gets much better when you're practicing. please send your 5.56, 7.62, 9mm, and 45ACP ammo to me. you won't be shooting much.

Since you asked... get something cool and unique since it is going to have to tie you over for awhile. In my opinion, a SCAR is neither. A bolt gun in some heavy-hitting cartridge would fit the bill (i.e. TRG 42 or custom rifle built to your specs, not sure what your "armory" looks like).

Something in a new caliber would allow you to work up a load in the extra minutes that you are not studying. You wouldn't be spending long days a the range most likely, just doing your ladder tests and seeing what recipe groups well.

It would be a good opportunity to buy something that you will enjoy for many years and remember why you bought it.

Just my .02, it's worth what you paid for it
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcwallace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KU SOM Class of 2015!

There will at least a 5 year gun budget freeze for me. So one last hurrah? I've had my eye set on something such as an FN SCAR 17s? Or perhaps a Sako TRG 42? Also if there is any performance reports on the that .308 SCAR i'd love to hear it. I've heard its capable of maybe 1.0-1.5moa at 800yds-ish? Sub-moa at 100yd? All with FGMM or handloads? AS a lefty I am drawn to that particular rifle when it comes to semi-autos.

I also thought an AAC Ti-rant 9mm suppressor with something (M&P Spec ops, P226, X5, get my P30L threaded by tornado, etc). I figure with a future move, and lack of time to worry about owning NFA stuff, I'd probably self that idea for now. </div></div>

Congrats one being accepted to med school!

As for the .308 SCAR being capable of 1-1.5" groups at 800yds, that sounds like a <span style="font-style: italic">TALL</span> tale; however, I'm no expert on the subject matter.

Anyone care to chime in on that claim?

Haha thanks!
smile.gif

I've got a good bit of all those calibers, but my father-in-law has called dibs on them. I might save a few rounds as we may be moving to the ghetto-ish parts of KC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcwallace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KU SOM Class of 2015!

I also thought an AAC Ti-rant 9mm suppressor with something (M&P Spec ops, P226, X5, get my P30L threaded by tornado, etc). I figure with a future move, and lack of time to worry about owning NFA stuff, I'd probably self that idea for now. </div></div>

As for the .308 SCAR being capable of 1-1.5" groups at 800yds, that sounds like a TALL tale. I'm sure it's sub MOA capable but that seems like a "fish story" to me.

Anyone care to chime in on that claim? </div></div>

Let me remove my foot from my mouth! I meant 1.0-1.5 MOA not "

whoops! I'd be thrilled to get 1-1.5" groups with my bolt gun at 300yds!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcwallace</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcwallace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KU SOM Class of 2015!

As for the .308 SCAR being capable of 1-1.5" groups at 800yds, that sounds like a TALL tale. I'm sure it's sub MOA capable but that seems like a "fish story" to me.

Anyone care to chime in on that claim? </div></div>

Let me remove my foot from my mouth! I meant 1.0-1.5 MOA not "

whoops! I'd be thrilled to get 1-1.5" groups with my bolt gun at 300yds! </div></div>

I just checked to edit my post and I did say moa not " phew!

Thinking no-go on 8.0-12.0" groups at 800yds? I've heard that skilled shooters were hitting "half sized steel targets at 800yds". Is that half man-sized targets maybe? I'm not familiar with that subject.

Oh, I'm sure it will get MOA at 800yds. LoL I guess I misunderstood because I took it to mean 1-1.5" groups at 800yds and I'm thinking...ah, bullshit.... LoL

Personally, I think the SCAR is one helluva ugly rifle. Have you considered something like a POF, LWRC, LMT? I can't comment on anything other than the POF but it's an awesome weapon!

P.S.- I am now removing my own foot from mouth. Ha!

Since money and time (school is expensive)might be lacking how about a TRG in .300 WM? Ammo is readily available and not nearly as expensive as a .338 Lapua.

Get the muzzle break with it or suppress it and have a great time!

I'd buy one of these,
http://www.pof-usa.com/p415/p415-16-11sx-223.htm

I would then buy as much ammo as you can afford.

Your not going to have the time to develop a load, load the round you developed, or really even have the time to get to the range. But, when you do, you'll have a great shooting rifle and plenty of ammo to relieve the stresses of med school life.
By the way Congratulations of your acceptance to Med school. Well Done!

Don't buy anything. Save your money now. Study hard. Shoot less. Enjoy having what you have. You can always get more later. Delayed gratification does pay off.

Congrats on your accomplishment!!!!

I say buy a Hi-Point 9... This way, when you graduate, and go on your first shopping spree, you can say "look at the shit I had to shoot Pre med..."

laugh.gif

Thanks for the 'grats all! Ha I love the idea of the surgeon scalpel! For me maybe more the surgeon remedy .338lm. I've got a Remington 5r milspec .308 and it does pretty good. I'd probably go up in caliber. I do ok reloading .308 on my Forster co-ax and I think it can go up to .338lm. Maybe just get some rounds and lots of bullets.

I've looked into the REPR, MRP, and POF. All awesome of course. Being lefty I appreciate the ambi features. For some reason I've also liked the compactness of a folding stock, and I've heard with the pws brake it recoils more like an AK. That way when I convince my wife to shoot it once just to say she did then it won't make her hate me. Asthetics aside, the scar also doesn't add that much different than what I've got now. I have a colt 6920 for an AR.

So far I'm hearing more direction towards a .338 of sorts or something not a scar. Hmm I may have to rethink this.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't buy anything. Save your money now. Study hard. Shoot less. Enjoy having what you have. You can always get more later. Delayed gratification does pay off. </div></div>

Also great advice. They say "live like a doctor now, live like a student later. But live like a student now, like like a doctor later". however money isn't the goal here really. One reason I thought about the scar purchase now is because who knows what the gun control outlook will be with the next two presidents! it might be pretty safe to assume that non-50bmg bolt guns are not at risk in the long run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats on your accomplishment!!!!

I say buy a Hi-Point 9... This way, when you graduate, and go on your first shopping spree, you can say "look at the shit I had to shoot Pre med..."

laugh.gif
</div></div>

Ha! Love it!

Re: Got Accepted to Med school! Last Rifle purchas

I would suggest a Sig 522 with the heavy barrel. I teach 1st year med students and if they're any indication, you will need every penny...sooner rather than later. You'll probably get tired of eating Ramen noodles pretty quickly and I understand that .22LR is reasonably economical (LOL). Congrats on getting accepted!

There are quite a few physicians here and now I find a med professor! Where were you guys two months ago when I was looking for letters of recommendation!
smile.gif

That sig sounds like a good plan and definitely wife compatible! My gun and ammo budget will be zero $. So I could almost still afford .22 ammo! If all goes well my wife will continue working and that'll help. It's hard because in my current life I am an aerospace engineer and it's been 4yrs since I've been a penniless hi-point 9mm type student. But hey even if I have to go back to Ramen I'm sure my wife could make it taste like filet mignon! She's a great chef. Also as an engineer taking o-chem and lab in my off hours I am used to zero spare time. Only shoot once every month or two. Just a small taste of how busy I'll be I'm sure!

And thanks for the congrats gstaylorg!

Shoot a lot before clinicals start second year. 20+ hours of classes and a full patient load hardly give you time for the bathroom. Congratulations and best of luck....it will be a long few years!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcwallace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One reason I thought about the scar purchase now is because who knows what the gun control outlook will be with the next two presidents!</div></div>Gun control is not the issue it was pre-Heller. I wouldn't worry in the short term. Well done on Med School, BTW, it's not easy to get in.

I think the SCAR would be an awesome rifle to have. If it were up to me I'd choose between the SCAR 16/17 and the civilian versions of the HK 416/7

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a future MD, I would recommend the Surgeon Scalpel!</div></div>

Well played Sir, well played.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ggmanning</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shoot a lot before clinicals start second year. 20+ hours of classes and a full patient load hardly give you time for the bathroom. Congratulations and best of luck....it will be a long few years!</div></div>

Thanks! Yeah, I'm in it for the long haul. 6 more months till classes start.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think the SCAR would be an awesome rifle to have. If it were up to me I'd choose between the SCAR 16/17 and the civilian versions of the HK 416/7</div></div>

The HK MR762 might be out by the time I'm out of residency, in SEVEN years! lol
smile.gif

If I didn't have my colt I'd think about the HK mr556, although I would strongly consider the LWRC too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate to be the downer but reality is I doubt you will have any time to do anything except study your ass off, sometimes eat, rarely sleep, and study your ass off. </div></div>

You are right. This is all mainly for ownership's sake, probably won't get to use it, maybe at all for a few years!
frown.gif
Eh, as I said before, I was lucky to get to shoot once every month or two while I was in class/work. Only now do I have time to do anything until July. I'm actually be studying through the Ciba collection of books before school starts.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcwallace</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One reason I thought about the scar purchase now is because who knows what the gun control outlook will be with the next two presidents!</div></div>Gun control is not the issue it was pre-Heller. I wouldn't worry in the short term. Well done on Med School, BTW, it's not easy to get in.</div></div>

Good point. And thank you Graham! It was a truly excruciating process. Study MCAT for months, take MCAT, wait a month nervously for score, find out score, letters of rec and application, abnormally large secondary app, nervously wait a month for interview invite, then nervously wait 3 weeks for interview, then nervously wait 2 weeks for notification. This is all besides the two years I've spent on pre-req classes while working. I'm really REALLY glad that part is over, and before Christmas too!

Oh yeah, Merry CHRISTmas all!

I would save your money because I would hate for you to buy something just to turn around and sell it. Use the money you saved by waiting on ammo and enjoy what you have. I might suggest something similar to what has been brought up; if you have an AR15 just buy a 22lr conversion for a few bucks and have at it.

5 year freeze? Psh! Student loans funded several gun purchases. They're called 'living expenses'!!

ps congrats!

Nice job getting into med school. Go with a precision rifle like a trg. You'll have plenty of time to do some shooting in school. It's residency that is the widow maker. I am lucky to get 1 day a month in if I am lucky.

Congratulations! You have a long row to hoe, but in the end it will be worth it. KU is a good med school. My wife did her first year there then went to CU.
If you enjoy the note sharing library, you can thank her, she is one of the students that help establish that service.
Long hours, lots of skut work.
There is a lot of sacrifice involved in the next 8-12 years, but well worth the effort. Good luck!
Youll have plenty of time to save for some new toys when the practice gets started.

You will have a bunch of time to shoot in your 4th year. Forget about shooting in your intern year. Yes, in the end it will be worth it. Good Luck!!

Congrat's on the acceptance; My MCAT'S were 32years ago and still just seems like yesterday. Be a dermatologist , more money , virtually no call. But if your foolish enough to be an internist my group recruits a couple every year.
It will be tough finding the time to shoot, especially by your 3rd and 4th year, as well as residency. Cans might be a pain if you do a lot of moving around.
Do you orriginate from the wichita area or a transplant?
Welcome to the medical field!!!!!!!!! ( and maybe more important the shooting community)

he aint done till he graduates and passes the boards part 1 and 2... We lost about 10-15% every year.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hate to be the downer but reality is I doubt you will have any time to do anything except study your ass off, sometimes eat, rarely sleep, and study your ass off. </div></div>

It ain't that bad mike.

Ammo for what you have.

If your budget is $3k then buy $3k worth of ammo. When your head is ready to explode from studying then grab your rifle and some of the ammo sitting there and go have an afternoon range therapy session.

Nothing worse than a safe full of beautiful rifles that you cannot feed.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Training Wheels</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ammo for what you have.

If your budget is $3k then buy $3k worth of ammo. When your head is ready to explode from studying then grab your rifle and some of the ammo sitting there and go have an afternoon range therapy session.

Nothing worse than a safe full of beautiful rifles that you cannot feed. </div></div>

This is so true, coming from another professional degree student.

I've loaded 3,000 rounds of .40 in the last few days, and another thousand of .223. Next semester, I'm going to get to shoot no matter what!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bronzepig</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrat's on the acceptance; My MCAT'S were 32years ago and still just seems like yesterday. Be a dermatologist , more money , virtually no call. But if your foolish enough to be an internist my group recruits a couple every year.
It will be tough finding the time to shoot, especially by your 3rd and 4th year, as well as residency. Cans might be a pain if you do a lot of moving around.
Do you orriginate from the wichita area or a transplant?
Welcome to the medical field!!!!!!!!! ( and maybe more important the shooting community) </div></div>

I will always remember the MCAT...

Dermatology might be hard to get into. I really enjoyed following an interventional radiologist. But I am drawn to family medicine also.

I had the same thoughts on getting a can. I am from Newton, KS originally, so yes I've been in the area my whole life. Speaking of which, there are 8 seats for KU med 1st and 2nd yr in Wichita starting THIS summer. More next year. They have a campus here but it has historically been for 3rd and 4th yr. So there is a chance I might stay in Wichita!

And thanks for the congrats!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">he aint done till he graduates and passes the boards part 1 and 2... We lost about 10-15% every year.</div></div>

Where did you go?

I heard of a guy that joined the Navy and had them pay for med school, but flunked 2yr twice and dropped out (this was supposedly long ago). I'm not sure how the repayment of that turned out, not good I'm sure. I'm aiming to not come even near being one of those 10-15%, and therefore it will cut into my already sparse shooting time!

So to recap, I've had a few suggestions for a .22lr, several for the precision TRG or equivalent, not many for the .308 carbine, one guy for the hi-point, and several for ammo instead of another gun, and several more for the wise advice of being patient.

For the TRG, I'm sure it'll be around in 5-6yrs, I think I'll wait on that.

For the .308 carbine, as much as it is ban-able, I may just earmark some savings for it in the event DC vs Heller isn't as robust as we might hope.

For the .22lr, that is a great idea! I might like a .22lr upper or perhaps Ruger MkIII Hunter, 6 7/8" flutted stainless barrel, a good target .22.

For ammo I will probably just get it in the rare rare event I'll actually be able to use it. I have enough I think to last for two whole time I'm in school/internship.

And again, thank you all for the congrats! Any more advice is appreciated as always!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In2b8u</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congratulations! You have a long row to hoe, but in the end it will be worth it. KU is a good med school. My wife did her first year there then went to CU.
If you enjoy the note sharing library, you can thank her, she is one of the students that help establish that service.
Long hours, lots of skut work.
There is a lot of sacrifice involved in the next 8-12 years, but well worth the effort. Good luck!
Youll have plenty of time to save for some new toys when the practice gets started. </div></div>

Wow! Hey tell her thanks!

Congrats! I'm applying to Physical Therapy schools right now....

Med School

Ha Ha
Long hours
low pay
deferred gratification...

Best Wishes from one who done it!

And the libs characterize all gun owners are a bunch of uneducated knuckledraggers.

Congrats!
My advice? Buy every bit of ammo for what you have now, when you Matriculate, Intern, Board Cert., we all might be calling squirrel the new chicken. It may be a Brave New World. God Bless your diligence, because we all need Physicians!
Good luck to you! Tim.
P.S. Me: "What's the glove for?", Primary M.D. "If it feels like a walnut, it may not be a walnut."

CONGRATULATIONS!

I wish I had thought of this first, very funny! But of course JRose is all witty and whatnot like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say buy a Hi-Point 9... This way, when you graduate, and go on your first shopping spree, you can say "look at the shit I had to shoot Pre med..."</div></div>

Mike is right, I remember the Surge and ramen days and that's not even what you have to look forward to.

Also listen to Graham. He knows of what he speaketh.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 175G</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CONGRATULATIONS!

I wish I had thought of this first, very funny! But of course JRose is all witty and whatnot like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I say buy a Hi-Point 9... This way, when you graduate, and go on your first shopping spree, you can say "look at the shit I had to shoot Pre med..."</div></div>

Mike is right, I remember the Surge and ramen days and that's not even what you have to look forward to.

Also listen to Graham. He knows of what he speaketh.</div></div>

What ever happened to Surge? I loved that.

Graham is wise, Mike is right. When I was in engineering school the only time I got to shoot was the week after finals. So considering med school being harder, I presume, my gun hobby will drop down on the list of priorities. Owning the gun doesn't take time, but does take money, and that goes back to Graham's comment. I'm pretty inclined to follow that logic, maybe get that Ruger .22lr bull barrel pistol I've been thinking about, after I've sold a thing or two.

And thanks for the congrats!