• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got my 300WSM build from Spartan

Jayne

Private
Minuteman
Mar 1, 2006
RTP, NC
Picked up my rifle from Spartan last week, haven't had a chance to get it out to the range as I had to go on a business trip the day after I picked it up but figured I would post some pics at least.

Build was designed to be my "one and only" hunting rifle for anything I can't use my .17hrm on. First use will be an elk hunt in Wyoming this year. I originally wanted a really short (18-20") barrel to make it easier to maneuver but Marc talked me into something more normal for the caliber. I guess it's always easier to cut a barrel down if it's too long than to try to put some back on if it's too short.

Trued Rem700 short action chambered in 300 WSM
Brux stainless 24" barrel w/brake, badger recoil lug
Over-sized 1 piece bolt w/external extractor and knob
Black cerakote on all action parts
Seekins 20MOA base and rings
Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP mil/mil in need of some scope caps
B&C light tactical w/aluminum bedding block, factory bottom metal

The paint job on the stock is all my fault, don't blame Spartan or any of his suppliers for that custom digi-woodlands-krylon job.
smile.gif

spartan_rifle_1.jpg

spartan_rifle_2.jpg

spartan_rifle_3.jpg

spartan_rifle_4.jpg

Re: Got my 300WSM build from Spartan

Looks nice...good luck on the elk hunt.

Nice, get you about 67 grains of H4350 and a 185 Berger VLD. Mine runs it over 3000 FPS and small groups all the way to 600 yards (longest shot with it so far).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sledge Hammer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice, get you about 67 grains of H4350 and a 185 Berger VLD. Mine runs it over 3000 FPS and small groups all the way to 600 yards (longest shot with it so far). </div></div>

Any suggestions on a 168gr Barnes TSX or TTXS load? I've got lots of those bullets left over for the .308 that donated the action to this build. Oddly that's one of the reasons I went 300 WSM instead of something else was the ability to use the 1000s of 165/168gr .308 sized bullets I've already stockpiled.

I have shot 168 bergers with same load as the 185 and it shot the same. I would suspect that somewhere around 67 grains would work pretty well. I might work up from 65 or so.

Don't know about the 168, but my 300wsm runs the 200gr. Lrx at 3015fps worth 64.8gr. of reloader 17, absolutely devastating performance.

Don't worry about the camo it's fine lol. I promise the elk will never know the difference.

For those that would want to know the bolt is from PT&G and the brake is a RAD brake from R&D Precision.

Let us know how it works out when you get some rounds down range.

Marc

This morning I quickly assembled some loads and headed to the range to give it a shakedown run. After getting it sighted in I fired some 3 round groups using 55gr, 55.5gr and 56gr of R15 out of Winchester brass with CCI BR2 primers and 168gr SMKs. Didn't have the chrono along, this wasn't that organized of an outing.

To be fair here, I've not fired a rifle in... well at least 6 months? Maybe more. Still, you can see what the rifle can do. I'm pretty happy so far.

Yea, I know, missed the dime every time.

All from the bench using a bipod and rear bag, 100 yards, 75F, no wind to speak of.

wsm_shots_1.jpg

wsm_shots_2.jpg

wsm_shots_3.jpg

Recoil wasn't near as bad as I was expecting. Should be able to fire 50 rounds or more in a session without beating my shoulder up too badly using a shoulder pad.

Good shooting and nice looking rifle. Looks like it is gonna be a keeper.

Nice shooting Kelly. Hopefully you can find a hunting bullet/load combo to shoot that well too. I'm looking forward to the pics from your upcoming hunt.

Marc

A follow up pic... me with the cow elk I dropped at 450 yards today with Marc's creation. The guide said he normally wouldn't have someone try a shot at that range but based on the groups I was printing while checking the zero after arriving and the fact that I had my dope chart taped to the stock he figured I could shoot.
smile.gif

You can see it's been upgraded with DBM since the first posts, worthwhile as it only holds 2+1 with the factory metal.

me_with_elk-m.jpg

Good shooting and a great lookin gun.. Congrats

Good shooting man I love it when guys like us educate hunting guides who usually won't allow a client to shoot beyond 200 yards :) I've had similar experiences myself LOL.

Marc