• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got my AR to 1000 yards!

kato4moto

Private
Minuteman
Mar 22, 2007
SoCal
Took a precision rifle class over the weekend, a repeat of one I took last year. The second day is done in the desert where students shoot mostly at unknown distances, though the farthest target is about 1000 yards (according to the intructor's laser rangefinder).

After borrowing the instructor's .308 AICS last year (I don't own a .308 but thought it'd be a kick to take the class), I decided this year to shoot my AR just to see how far I could get it to stretch its legs. It's an all-Colt upper with 20-inch 1/8 bull barrel, Badger 22 MOA base in conjunction with an Armalite 30mm one-piece mount and 2.5-10X 42mm IOR FFP. Used 77-grain Federal Gold Medal Match exclusively for the class.

Started out the first day on the range averaging right about 1 MOA, which is kind of what I expected. After that, we moved to 200, 300, 400, 500 and 600 yards with steel targets and the rifle did fine.

Next day, out to the desert. Reconfirmed zero then began with unknown distance steel targets to practice mil-dot ranging. Had no problems until I got to the 18 x 24 at an estimated 444 yards and using holdover instead of dialing in. Could not get hits, could not see bullet strikes.

Though kind of disappointed, I chalked it up to the slight winds (probably 10- to 15-mph, quartering from behind both left then right). The others using .308s had no problems, of course.

When we moved on to the 1000-yard 24 x 24 steel, the instructor asked if I wanted to give it a go so I said sure. I dialed in an estimated number of mils (since the instructor wasn't familiar with the 0.1-cm turrets on the IOR, only MOAs) and took a shot when my turn came. It was low so I dialed in more elevation, fired again and got a hit!

Over the rest of that evolution, I got a few more chances to fire and hit a couple times. The misses were when I held off for wind (which was much lighter than expected).

To sum up, I was pumped and somewhat surprised to actually get out to 1000 yards with my little .223. I learned a lot more about my rifle (wind really kills accuracy) and am a lot more confident now about taking it hunting. Watch out prarie dogs!

Re: Got my AR to 1000 yards!

Congrats! Sounds like fun. I started shooting long range matches a few months ago with my AR just to "learn the ropes". I knew I couldn't be competitive but I still had fun. I have a 16" 1:9 Fulton Armory phantom upper and it will shoot sub-moa groups. I developed a load with Hornady 68gr BTHP and was using that (don't know that it will stabilize heavier bullets). I remember I was thrilled the first time I got hits at 630 yards (with a 10mph cross wind). I was all set to buy a 1:7 24" bull barrel upper for it but decided to get a Savage .308 instead. Now I am hitting out to the 852 yard plates without much difficulty. 1000 yards with a .223 is a feat.

Where did you take a class? I have been considering it but Front Site is the only place I know of "locally" and I have read mixed reviews of that place. My brother took one in Phoenix two years ago and another in West VA this past summer and had a good time so I am thinking maybe next summer for me...

Awesome, but ARs belong in the "semi-auto" forum. May ask a moderate to move it and you'll get more feedback there. Sounds like a fun time!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tylerw02</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Awesome, but ARs belong in the "semi-auto" forum. May ask a moderate to move it and you'll get more feedback there. Sounds like a fun time! </div></div>

Um I believe this is the semi-auto forum!

Shooting .223 is that far is challenging and fun. I've only gone 900 so far but 1,000 is the next step. Wind is crucial.

That sounds like a really cool class. Congrats on the shooting. Were there any AR 308s on the course?