• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got my AR15, now what?!

Patbower9

Private
Minuteman
May 17, 2013
Southern California
Hey all,

I just invested in my first AR15. It's pretty standard, normal handguards and all. So what should I do now in terms of parts? My first instinct was to get a red dot that will get me on the paper at the range, but now I'm looking for the fun stuff. I think I'd like to start with a new handguard/rail and begin working my way from there. Anyone have any suggestions for hanguards/rails? If so, a picture would also be much appreciated! Thanks and happy posting!

Honestly it depends on what kind of AR you bought and what you intend on doing with it. You can spend unlimited amounts of money in the AR aftermarket and end up with crap. If you bought a lower end gun to begin with then I would recommend replacing/reworking existing parts.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'd go shoot it for a while and then figure out what will help you run it better unless you just want some bling. There are handguards available ranging from $20 to $200 depending on whether you want a free float, quad rails, etc. All depends on whether you just want something that looks cool or you want to mount up lights, sling, etc.

The first accessory I'd get is some ammo so I can test the iron sights.

I'd personally shoot the mess out of it and get used to it. If and then you enjoy the AR I'd begin upgrading it. Here are some different hand guards.

SWS Noveske Rail cut for a switchblock

Spikes BAR (might be SAR, I can't remember since it came on the gun)

Troy VTAC rail

Geissele MK1 SMR

YHM specter

Troy battle rail

Magpul MOE handguards

first and foremost you need to figure out what you want... here are some questions you should answer:

1.) are you going for fast target acquisition type stuff? if so, then get a red dot or 1-4 power scope.

2.) are you just target shooting / punching holes in paper / banging steel / bug hole size groups? if so, better look into higher power scopes.

3.) best guess, what yardage would you most likely shoot at? 0 to 75yards, then get a red dot or 1-4power scope.... if 100yards plus, then high power scope.

4.) purpose: 100% target shooting? 100% hunting? or a combo of the two... questions that need to be answered.

5.) free float handguards are always nice.

answer those questions and we can get you on the right track.

Hey all,

I just invested in my first AR15. It's pretty standard, normal handguards and all. So what should I do now in terms of parts? My first instinct was to get a red dot that will get me on the paper at the range, but now I'm looking for the fun stuff. I think I'd like to start with a new handguard/rail and begin working my way from there. Anyone have any suggestions for hanguards/rails? If so, a picture would also be much appreciated! Thanks and happy posting!

Actually, you could save us all the thread headache and just buy a kac, gap, obr, jp, lmt OR IMO a nice inexpensive rock river arms with a free float handguard and be done with it. If you get addicted to the AR bandwagon it will be your natural progression anyway so just get it over with already!!!! Lol JK ;)

Hey all,

The next thing to do is to lose your wallet for a few months. Seriously. Everything is expensive in the AR world, ESPECIALLY the "cheap" stuff. There are a bunch of forums where you can get reviews on pretty much anything available. Did your gun come with sights? If not, it can be expensive to buy some for a railed gas block, then decide you want a handguard with a top rail (making your front sight worthless). Grips, stocks, buffers and tubes, commercial or mil spec, muzzle devices, ambi, collapsible, adjustable, one stage or two, competition or combat, anti-walk, anti-rotation, etc. the list goes on and on.

They say that advice is cheap but, if you don't already know what you are looking for, you will find that "advice" is the most expensive of all.

A good trigger and bust some caps.All good Ar parts are a hundred or multiples of a hundred.A good trigger is a must.

Go shoot it!
If you add stuff....keep it light and minimalistic. Over time your likes/dislikes will change any way.
Red dot sight (Aimpoint)....simple handstop on the frontrail (maybe)....after a thousand rounds....get a nice trigger $200.
If you like shooting fast....get muzzle brake.....Surefire or BattleComp $150.
Do a Carbine course...lots of fun and check out other people's equipment.
Shoot some more...and by now you probably want a different stock, pistol grip and front rail.

Have a great weekend.

Spend the money on ammo until you figure out what you want from the rifle. Otherwise it'a way too easy to end up with a 12 pound carbine that doesn't shoot for shit but costs more than your car.

Geissele SSA trigger probably first. This is one of the nicest upgrades you can make to an AR that comes with a less desirable trigger. A Comp like the Griffin M4SD2 is also an inexpensive upgrade that will really help you stay on target during rapid fire.

Get out and shoot! Meet some guys at the range and talk to them. If you are lucky they'll let you take a few shots with their rifles and then you can figure out what you like to do. Either way a good trigger is super important for anything you do. Have Fun!!!

If it ain't broke, don't go fixin' it!

Decent cleaning gear, starting with an AR-type cleaning rod guide Gunslick AR-15 Bore Guide, and a foaming bore cleaner, like Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner (12-Ounce). I have also found Tapco Pack of 20 AR Cleaning Stars, and NcStar AR15 Chamber Brush (TBCAR15) useful.

New metal magazines with the black phosphate finish will often start out with sluggish feeding for the first round. This can often be remedied by polishing the inside surfaces of the magazine feed lips with steel wool, to eliminate the drag caused by the rough new phosphate finish.

Shoot it, get acquainted with its quirks, learn how to convert stoppages, become accustomed to it in much the same manner as you are accustomed to your trigger finger.

Greg

Last edited:
One word: TAPCO.

Seriously, read what The Elfster said. That ought to keep you busy for a while. Go burn up some ammo, see what you like/don't like.

You also need to start thinking about plate carriers, NOW.

Remember: TAPCO.

OP.

Learn how to shoot your new AR with its factory feature set. That's the first thing you want to do. Think you already know how to get the most from your AR? O.K. What's the purpose of a BDC? What's your wind favor for a 10 MPH cross wind shooting at 600 yards with M855? At what distance does the front sight post equal the width of the E target? What's the maximum ordinate for an AR zeroed for a 300 meter BSZ? What does turning the M4/A4 BDC wheel to the Z setting do? What's the purpose of a stock weld? A proper sight picture focuses on what? Using a center mass hold on the E target what's the maximum effective range of your AR for a hit on the target from a 300 meter BSZ? What's the inch value of 6 MOA at 500 yards? 36 inches equals how many MOA at 600 yards? What's the click value of your front sight? Moving the front sight counter clockwise will move your grouping in what direction? For a 300 meter BSZ at what distance will line of sight and bullet path first intersect, shooting the 20 inch barreled AR. For a 300 meter BSZ at what distance will line of sight and bullet path first intersect, shooting the M4? Don't over think it; and, give approximate values.

Last edited:
rails look cool I have a couple of rifles with them and I have a couple of rifles with regular or mag-pul handguards . I can honestly say for the most part I would not dump a bunch of money on rails .
I would buy ammo and magazines , a good sling , a good light if you plan to use the rifle for home defense . if not then disreguard . If you decide to buy an optic remember buy once and cry once.
I have been down the road with budget optics and in the end they are not so budget . you drop 150.00 on brand x red dot then when you figure out it eats batteries and has all kinds of deformed reticles you dump another 400.00 on what you should of bought the first time.
this has just been my experience over the past few decades of shooting ar type rifles.

I love it when some one "hits it"Dead onTo be nice. When you get your 5th AR, and it's "not quite perfect" and you start looking for the 6th, you'll know you've gone loco, with the bug. I'd advise you to get lots of ammo, and go shoot her. Plain simple fun. Get "hooked", with the add ons, and you'll become ME. Hooked, and frustratedQUOTE=elfster1234;2540343]Actually, you could save us all the thread headache and just buy a kac, gap, obr, jp, lmt OR IMO a nice inexpensive rock river arms with a free float handguard and be done with it. If you get addicted to the AR bandwagon it will be your natural progression anyway so just get it over with already!!!! Lol JK ;)[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
I went nuts with ARs last year and built 15 in total. LW profiles, heavy barrels, FF tubes (my favorite the MI SS 12" on a 16" midlength RECCE profile), etc.

I needed room in the gunsafe and was considering selling them but I knew I'd lose my a$$ on all the "frankenguns" I'd built, then Sandy Hook happened and in the mayhem I sold off all but 3 ARs and even made a few $$ for my labor on each but most sold for around $900 with, no gouging here.

I kept a 24" Kreiger heavy match barreled AR with a FF tube, a rifle with an 14.5" "lighter profile" from PSA, and a rifle with an 18" DD S2W barreled upper, both with Magpul MOE drop in handguards. Turns out all that fancy crap I was hanging on the rifles wasn't all that useful to me. Both of the shorter ARs have Aimpoint M4s and the 14.5 has a rail mounted flashlight (the one I grab in the middle of the night if 8 rounds of 00 buck ain't cutting it). I've used the Nikon M223 1-4, Trijicon TA33 ACOG, Trijicon TR23, EOTech 512, and some others, but the Aimpoints work for me, simple, reliable, 5 years on a AA battery, etc.

Still, you're gonna have to try all the trinkets to see if they work for you.

Joe

Last edited:
In my opinion the most noteworthy add on/upgrade/accessories are:

1) Trigger- purchasing the hi speed Geissele match trigger is some of the best money I've spent. The amount adjustability is incredible. Geissele has a great line of fixed triggers as well.

2) Free Floating handguard. Troy and Samson are great. Plenty of different profiles to suit you needs.

3) Irons = Troy.

4) Pistol Grip- I like Ergo, there are several different models now to suit your hand size and texture preference

5) Stock- I'm a fan of Rock River arms, nice for the price. magpul and Vltor are also great additions. Something with little to no play

6) Chrome or plated Bolt and Carrier (tight and easy to clean)

7) Charging handle - I prefer BCM Gunfighter

8) Something for support hand- handstop, angle grip or even textured rail guards

9) Bolt release- magpul (some love it, some hate it)

10) G96 gun oil and CLP. New gun smell

Good luck and have fun,
Bob-

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
My "favorite", is a stock Rock river, with a 4x Acog. If you're reading between the lines, you can see how to get carried away. Good advice, so far. Sterling shooter was "especially" on the money. I had a "bunch of bucks", and got some nice stuff. What slowed me down, was the fundamentals. Couldn't shoot what I had to it's potential. Still can't. The more I learn, the dumber I feel.Then I read what Sterling posted, and I'm at the "back of the class", with the pointy hat on. Still better than golf.Good luck. It's all fun. Scudzuki got to 15. That's some kind of record, in my book. I thought I was "over the edge".

Last edited:
I'm a FNG here, but I was a gun writer for twenty-five years and have popped a few caps.

First, shoot the crap out of your new AR and just plain enjoy. After learning the system, you will start to "need" things ... my advice is to think long and hard about each new change.

Obviously, a top-quality scope or Aimpoint T-1, either in a LaRue mount, is basic equipment.

What you DON'T want to do is just load up your new carbine with all sorts of stuff you probably will never use ... lights, lasers, slings, angled iron sights, everything but a toilet seat seems to be hung on ARs. Let your accessories grow as you truly see the need.

At first, shoot lots of ammo; learn and enjoy.

Think seriously about the trigger. While the stock trigger basically sucks, learn to use it. Some folks like the lighter match triggers later; personally, I love the stock trigger in my Noveske Thunder Ranch ... it is smooth and heavy enough that I will make no mistakes when a puke breaks into our home of 49-years.

Forends and such are a matter of choice. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

Below is a photo of my Noveske ... she is a fine carbine.

God Bless,

Steve Timm

Last edited:
Listen to this man! His advice is sound.
I'm a FNG here, but I was a gun writer for twenty-five years and have popped a few caps.

First, shoot the crap out of your new AR and just plain enjoy. After learning the system, you will start to "need" things ... my advice is to think long and hard about each new change.

Obviously, a top-quality scope or Aimpoint T-1, either in a LaRue mount, is basic equipment.

What you DON'T want to do is just load up your new carbine with all sorts of stuff you probably will never use ... lights, lasers, slings, angled iron sights, everything but a toilet seat seems to be hung on ARs. Let your accessories grow as you truly see the need.

At first, shoot lots of ammo; learn and enjoy.

Think seriously about the trigger. While the stock trigger basically sucks, learn to use it. Some folks like the lighter match triggers later; personally, I love the stock trigger in my Noveske Thunder Ranch ... it is smooth and heavy enough that I will make no mistakes when a puke breaks into our home of 49-years.

Forends and such are a matter of choice. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

Below is a photo of my Noveske ... she is a fine carbine.

God Bless,

Steve Timm

I would go in this order
1. Low profile gas block/ handguard
2. Optic or flip ups
3. Trigger
4. ASAP plate/ ms3 sling

I am waiting (..., and waiting..., and waiting...) for a 20" upper with rails for swap service on the Stag A2-style lower my Stag Arms Super Varminter employs. I contemplate a Vortex SPARC electro-optical sight, with a Ma-Tech flip-up rear, and Magpul Gen-2 flip up front co-witnessed. Add a Magpul BAD lever, and its complete. I have a pair of UTG-Leapers TacOp-1 short bipods I'm trying out, and they would appear to be pretty well configured for an economical low stance bipod; a bit heavy, but rugged, quite functional, and has some panning capability, too.

Greg

Last edited:
Free float the barrel.
Invest in a stock that permits a proper cheek weld.
Install a good drop-in trigger.
Learn to shoot it properly.

If you want to buy plastic parts and overpriced aluminum and red dots, do that. But keep them in the box. In a few months, when you no longer want them, you can then sell them.

Alot of new AR owners learn this the hard way. They end up buying all of the cool high speed gadgets or whatever everyone else has on their rifle and then have a 16" carbine that weighs 22 pounds. I've seen the very slow process of taking things off (after spending money on them) and every-time they hit the range there's 1 less thing attached until they realize that all that was needed were maybe 1/10th of what they bought.

On my stock 16" carbine that I use for everything from defense to hunting to training I have only added:

VTAC sling
Magpul CTR Stock
Trigger
Free floated LaRue carbine rail
Short VFG that I use like a handstop
EoTech

Get some iron sights if you don't have then already and go shoot it. If you have to ask snipershide what to do next you probably just need to go out and use it and figure out what you like and don't like about it.

Do they "make Spinners", for an AR, yet? You know; when they shoot, something starts to spin, and doesn't stop, for a while? Those, and some foam dice, to hang from the front sight. That's what I want!

I started with a basic flat top AR. Wanted a cool red dot so I got it.

Shot it, decided that I didnt like holding onto the magwell and I didnt like holding onto the MOE handguard. Bought a Vertical grip.

Shot it some more. What I wanted to do with the gun changed. Now Im selling the Red Dot, moving up to a low power scope. Getting ready to change a few parts so I can mount a sling and make it more useful when hunting.

I already see that I want this little gun to do more than it possibly can, so as soon as I am done with college, and after I take a Carbine course(really been wanting to do that lately), Ill be picking up another one... or two..... aww maybe 5. Dang things are addicting and you have to have one for every situation. I would shoot what you have and add what you need as you go.

One of the best pieces of advise, gunwise, ever given me was by my LGS owner.
He told me to by a KAC SR-15. Came with pretty much top of the line everything. A little proprietary stuff but I don't think I'll manage to wear it out in the few years remaining to me.
All I have added to what the rifle came with was a Trijicon 1-4x scope and a LaRue QD mount for it. I spend most of my trigger time on this gun having fun, some paper punching, a little golf ball chasing and some gong banging.
It does tend to go through ammo at a prodigious rate though. I thought my mags were leaking but no, it all goes down the bbl and onto the ground.

keep it.. and buy an ar10 for home defence (308 cal) . and use the ar15 for paper and the range thats what i would do.. because i like take down power.