• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Got my barreled action back from Long Rifles

Cascade Precision

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 23, 2008
Klamath Falls, OR
Action and barrel work are beautiful. Went to put my rifle together last night and ran into an issue.

Barrel lug is .012" too tall to fit into my stock. So, do I machine down the lug or machine out the stock?

I have better tools to machine the lug, but is that the "best" option???

Crap...

Re: Got my barreled action back from Long Rifles

I removed it from the sides of the stock, I just don't have the tooling to get that deep into the stock.

Maybe I am just hosed and have to deepen the recoil lug recess.

Crap x 2

I had the same problem on 2 barreled actions a couple of months ago. I took them to a local machinist and he opened the lug recesses on the stocks up in a milling machine.
Problems solved, and both jobs looked like factory.

Well, I will see what kind of smiths/machinists are open today...

Better right once than wrong at all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogreshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, I will see what kind of smiths/machinists are open today...

Better right once than wrong at all. </div></div>

Yes!
I was tempted to hack mine out so I could go to the range and shoot them, but getting it done right was worth a day or two wait.

I had to shorten a Holland lug in order to fit into an AICS. Personally I would think that would be the route to go. But I suppose it's 6 of one or half a dozen of the other.

Well, took it to a machinist friend of mine. He wallered (technical term) very cleanly. Looks beautiful, with one caveat.

When machining the stock (Bell and Carlson with aluminum bedding block) for taller recoil lug, he went through the bottom edge of aluminum and into the composite. There was at best .060 aluminum on the bottom of the recoil lug valley. How big of a problem is this going to be?

I did not have the heart to mess with the action as it is f*&(ing perfect. That, and Chad may have taken me out behing the shed and smacked me aroung. I did not want to risk messing anything u9 on the action by taking .125 of the bottom of the lug.

So, will this be ok? Or am I looking at a call to Manners WAY before I planned?

I would suspect it will be ok, I believe there's vertical ribs running down the sides should have more than enough strength. I would bed the action and recoil lug though to eliminate any excessive voids around the recoil lug anyway. All it should effect barrel float, bolt the action down and sling it, put on the bipod, bag it or however you normally shoot and have an assistant make sure there's no barrel to stock contact.

Yep, considered bedding the lug, just out of stuff, so it may sit the way it is for now.

The aluminum rib runs the full lemgth without interuption. No idea how thick it is though. I would have thought the bottom was thicker than that.

I took the bottom out just like that when I fit a FN SPR into a Rem700 HS stock. Gun still shot very well, no rigidity issues that I've heard.