• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing got my first white tail

futurerider103

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2011
Springfield Mo
The last time I went deer hunting was when I was 14(back before I could control my adhd 15yrs ago) I had also gone when I was 13 with my dad both times. Well fast forward to this season I thought I would give it another try since I am a little more patient now that in 29.
Things didn't start out good. Last Saturday was opening say for gun season. I seen 3 but never had a shot or a chance of a shot however today I got up in a tree about 20-25ft and sat there for almost 2hrs at that point I was getting cold and cramped so I stood up in the tree and hung my gun on a limb. While stretching I looked to my left and there was a doe about 120-130yds away. I grabbed for my gun and went to shoulder it but there was a limb in my way so I swapped sides and shouldered it on my weak side (left) and took a shot. She ran off as if I missed completely. I got down out of the tree and went to where she was when I shot. There was no blood at all. I started walking in the area she ran to. After about 100yds with no blood or anything I decided I must have missed and turned back to my tree. I seen something white which I thought was some trash but I walked to it and there she was no blood on her hair but a pool of blood out of her mouth and deader than a door nail. She weighted about 150lbs not field dressed. Just thought I'd show my experience.

I was using my Savage 110e .270 that I refinished myself touted with an ironsighter one piece base, low Burris Zee rings and a Leupold VX-I

IMG_20131123_075210_zpsc2182317.jpg

My dad got a 5pt half rack 20mins before with his Savage 110 30-06

Kudos on your doe, and more so for spotting her, never give up a search too quickly.

Love the look of that stock.

got my first white tail

Interesting thread topic title. Is it your first white tail, or first Whitetail???

I would like to know how you got the staining on the stock that pattern.

That's just the way the grain grew in the wood. The only thing I did was strip the original finish off and the stock down to 800 grit, then stained the stock then sprayed the lacquer on and wet sanded to 2000 grit and polish it shiny