• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Got my new Savage MKII TR & CZ WOW X2!!

reeljob

Pastor
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2009
Galax, VA
I just took a notion today to pick up a new MKII TR. It came as a package with a Bushnell 3200 10x40mm with mil-dot reticle. I picked up two boxes of Wolf match sighted in and..........
28cq176.jpg

1fk6pz.jpg

291cpbd.jpg

20k95id.jpg

39 degrees, snowing, and wind first range trip, I'll take it!

Re: Just got my new Savage MKII TR ----WOW!!!

That's great can't wait till I get mine.

Nice rifle and nice shooting. Where did you find it as a package with the Bushy? Never heard of that combo being sold new.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BrettSass844</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle and nice shooting. Where did you find it as a package with the Bushy? Never heard of that combo being sold new. </div></div>

It was a gun store special, the owner put the package together.
I couldn't resist the price and it was the last one he had left.

I am very pleased with the rifles performance so far and it should get better with more rounds down the tube.

I've had mine for about a month now and it get's better every time I shoot it. Savage hit a home run with this gun for sure. My bolt was stiff at first but feels real good now.

Reel... I would do some experminting and try different types of ammo, you would be suprised how good those rifles shoot with the right ammo its all about trial and error

Very nice. Picked up one last night myself. Gonna be a while on glass for me. Looks hopefull.

Whats your opinion on the scope? What type of paralax/focus adjustment does it have?

Its a bushnell 3200 10x40, hard to get focused at twenty five yards but clears up well 50 and beyond. No paralax issues I have noticed and the scope has no adjustments. Alot of guys are running this set up but if the rifle had not been a store package I would have opted for a variable, maybe a 2.5-16x40.
The rifle does perform well with the wolf extra match and since this is first brand I have tried I am continuing my quest for the "perfect" brand ammo.

Don't they sell one of those in .17 HMR? I'd like to have one of those. I have wanted one of those little rifles for some time now...just need to drum up the funds. Good shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snaptrigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't they sell one of those in .17 HMR? I'd like to have one of those. I have wanted one of those little rifles for some time now...just need to drum up the funds. Good shooting. </div></div>
They sure do and about the same money.

Nice pick-up can't wait for mine to be finished at Savage Gunsmithing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: snaptrigger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't they sell one of those in .17 HMR? I'd like to have one of those. I have wanted one of those little rifles for some time now...just need to drum up the funds. Good shooting. </div></div>

Yes they do make them in 17HMR. That's the only model they sell at our Academy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rshew2779</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reel... I would do some experminting and try different types of ammo, you would be suprised how good those rifles shoot with the right ammo its all about trial and error </div></div>
I did some ammo testing today and esatblished dope at 150 and 200 yards.
Wolf Extra Match---This is the ammo I began with in this rifle and it shoots fairly decent.Found a flyer about every sixth shot.
50 yds.--- .75
75 yds.--- 1.25
Wolf match-- No noticable flyers
50 yds.--- .25
75 yds.--- .50
CCI Match Green tag
This ammo shot near the same as the Wolf Match. No noticable flyers.

Unfortunately the wind picked up and I was holding 1.5 mils for wind at 200 yards and with the Wolf match shot this----
21n4mxs.jpg

These where the best eight out of 12 rounds but all where on the paper, it took a few shots to figure out the wind and trying to shoot between gust. I feel like I got lucky. Looking foward to a calm day!!
2yl0ndw.jpg

Range pict, target was on the dirt pile right of the clump of trees. this is 205 yards from the muzzle.
wuq9tw.jpg

The Stick!!

Nice shooting reeljob, the winds blowing about 30 mph here today. I can't wait to get a day without a hard wind blowing to see how mine does. Here's a pic of mine on the make shift bench behind my shop. I can shoot at 50 and 100 yards from there and it serves me well.

pixie.jpg

That's a sweet shooting spot you have there! And as many others have found, it would appear that the MT shoots better for you than the ME does.

The winds been blowing so hard since I got mine that I haven't had a chance to try the Wolf Match Extra yet. I've just shot the Wolf Match stuff so far and it's doing really good so far. Maybe at the end of the week, the wind is supposed to die off some by then. I'll let you know

Looks like you married my sticks twin Old Salt!! The wind was blowing about the same here today. I was thinking about the CVRPC shoot this weekend and needed to establish my dope for the match. I am not sure how my schedule and the weather will be the rest of the week so I grabbed the time to shoot while I could.
The Wolf Match is performing alot better than the Extra ammo I started with. from what I've read thats typical in these rifles.
The CCI Green tag is a promising load but the Wolf seemed to start to shine at the longer ranges.
Next time I am working around Havelock I will look you up and maybe we can sling some lead.

I've got some Match Extra but haven' tried it yet, this wind is killing me here. If it ain't bending trees sideways then it's pouring down rain, BUT it's supposed to lay down some later this week and I'll try the ME if it does. I'm about 45 minutes from Havelock, retired from Cherry Point, DOD aircraft mechanic. If you're interested in long range shooting look these guy's up http://coastalcarolinarifleclub.com, they host a bunch of matches at Lejeune starting in Aril.

I will look them up next time I'm around. I usually am at the Cherry Point Air Station a few times a year working on Fire Sprinkler systems.
Thanks
Barry

Reel, Look forward to seeing you at the match saturday, trust me its a blast, alot of good guys and good shooters as well!

My MkIIF works well with CCI Subsonic (Standard Velocity?) Target (Blue box, red trim, white lettering). Shoots exactly like FGMM for me, and it's a bunch cheaper.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rshew2779</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reel, Look forward to seeing you at the match saturday, trust me its a blast, alot of good guys and good shooters as well! </div></div>
I finished my dope this morning for the match distances, From what I have read and heard this should be alot of fun and I am looking foward to it.
See you Saturday!

I dont know why I waited so long to get a Mk II.

This thread and others pushed me over the edge a couple weeks ago. I really need to get some pics.

Since I started the thread I now have 800 rounds through the tube. I cleaned the barrel and took it back out this morning. It appears the Savage has come to life.
Top left is cold bore, the CB shot is always low to the right and I had one I know I pulled.
2dkinpk.jpg

50 yards
Bipods & rear bag
Wolf MT
Savage MK II TR
Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42
wind 5-7 mph
50 yards

I believe I can take the machine next time. I made a set of zero stops last night so I shoulnd't have any excuses next time. Looking foward to June!

I've had my eye on the MKII TR for a while. This may just push me over the edge.

Well... Just picked mine up yesterday.
Best it would do at 50yd was 2 moa. 100yds was down right depressing. The only thing it would half way like was CCI standard vel. Mini mags were 2-4 moa subsonic slightly worse than standard vel.
Guess I will try and find some different loads and give it another chance.
SS 10x42 on stock rail. EGW 20 moa rail just showed up today, maybe that will help.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskyTangoFoxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well... Just picked mine up yesterday.
Best it would do at 50yd was 2 moa. 100yds was down right depressing. The only thing it would half way like was CCI standard vel. Mini mags were 2-4 moa subsonic slightly worse than standard vel.
SS 10x42 on stock rail. EGW 20 moa rail just showed up today, maybe that will help. </div></div>

Keep shooting, it will come around. My MKII FV & TR like the mini mags. The EGW rail will be a welcome addition.

You gotta love that Wolf ammo - I run the same in my Savage .22 and it loves it

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskyTangoFoxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well... Just picked mine up yesterday.
SS 10x42 on stock rail. EGW 20 moa rail just showed up today, maybe that will help. </div></div>

Whats your shooting technique like?

A rifle would have to be pretty busted up to shoot 2MOA at 50 yards!

Mine really shines with the Wolf MT but the CCI green tag was promising. Keep trying different loads. I have not seen a Savage yet that doesn't shoot MOA out of the box.
So far I happy very happy with mine,

That's really surprising. I know of 4 MKIIs that love CCI standard. It performs very well in both of mine. I just ordered some Wolf MT, federal match and Augila match. I will report back in a couple weeks on the results when I get a opportunity to hit the range.

well... gave it a good scrubbin and mounted the EGW rail and it has showed some improvment. Maybe 250 rnds thru it so far.
One group was around .5" @ 50yds. the rest were 1"+. Am seeing some diagonal stringing but the barrel is free. If this trend continues it may work ok, we will see. Can not find much fancy ammo local, reckon I will have to order some. It is showing signs of being more tolerant towards hi vel rounds.
So there is hope yet....

I'm still dialing in my MKII FV (with Tacticool stock) and have found that the more I shoot it, the better it shoots. Partially me getting used to the gun but I have also read in several different places that these guns really settle in as you approach the 500-750 round count.

Stick with it. You'll have a shooter before you know it.

Charlie

where can these guns be purchased? My brother and i are both wanting to pick one up........just don't tell my CZs that I am actually looking for a savage. maybe they will both get more accurate as they sit side by side in the safe fighting to be the top shot.

Try Dicks Sporting Goods or ask your dealer to order one for you, I found mine in a local gun store.
I am keeping my Savage but looking at a CZ 452 to soon occupy my safe, so I know where you are coming from.

Buy that CZ 452 before they are all gone. this is the last year (rumor mill i know) that the 452 will be available new. buy a yodave trigger kit off ebay and you'll be amazed!

I've enjoyed reading these posts.
I placed a Savage MK II TR on lay away today. I have two months to get it out... Mean while I've been reading on what others are using
for bases and rings and scopes etc. It's fun already!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gjantzer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy that CZ 452 before they are all gone. this is the last year (rumor mill i know) that the 452 will be available new. buy a yodave trigger kit off ebay and you'll be amazed! </div></div>
It will be here tomorrow and the trigger job complete by the time I get to the shop to pick it up. Yes, according to 2011 CZ-USA Special Collectors Edition from Guns & Ammo page 86 the new Model 455 will replace the 452 and will be a switch barrel rig that will accept .17HMR,.22LR, and .22WMR.

Very nicely done! I had a 5-15x50 3200 and loved it. Very clear. My MKII FV shoots great groups with CCI high velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskyTangoFoxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">well... gave it a good scrubbin and mounted the EGW rail and it has showed some improvment. Maybe 250 rnds thru it so far.
One group was around .5" @ 50yds. the rest were 1"+. Am seeing some diagonal stringing but the barrel is free. If this trend continues it may work ok, we will see. Can not find much fancy ammo local, reckon I will have to order some. It is showing signs of being more tolerant towards hi vel rounds.
So there is hope yet.... </div></div>

You should remove the stock from the gun and check the area where the barrel pins are. If you notice any markings on the stock which look like the pins may be contacting it, take a dremel and remove a little material so the pins no longer touch up against the stock. There are many other things you could check but that is one of the most common.

I will look for that. Have had it out of the stock 2 or 3 times for cleaning and a little trigger work to smooth and lighten the pull abit. Ran around 150 more rounds thru it yesterday and it has showed more improvement. Have not measured but looking better and more tolerant to a veriety of loads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WhiskyTangoFoxtrot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well... Just picked mine up yesterday.

Whats your shooting technique like?

A rifle would have to be pretty busted up to shoot 2MOA at 50 yards! </div></div>

Sorry for the short answer previously..
I am shooting off a bench with harris bipod and a rear bag.
1 MOA @ 50 yrds is aprox. 1/2" right? Not used to this 50yd stuff.