• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Got my steiner p4xi 4-16 from cameraland today

Tikka_taca1

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
Well it came in with Steiner Mount, all I can say is wow what a beast, I opened it at work so no photos of it on the tikka yet.

this thing is heavy in a good way, turrets feel great, I cannot speak of the glass mostly cause using it to look out a window tells me nothing, it feels better then my vortex 5-25 g2 viper in the turrets, the knurling on the turrets are ok but I like the texture of the t5xi turret better.

the mount was cool but one of the screw holes was a bit fucked, had to send a tap in it to clean it out but other then that it’s a cool mount, super robust.

some one on here compared the p4xi glass to mark 5 glass, I looked threw the mark 5 last month for 10 min or so, everyone’s eyes are different but for the brief 5 minutes I looked threw my p4xi I would have to (for now agree, really close anyway

these are my initial impressions of the optics for the 30 min I played with it at work, when I get home late tonight I’ll mount it and possible (briefly) get behind it in the am before work and do a mini update, I’ll zero it Saturday and update again

I have done a video of the unboxing if any one is interested I’ll post the link

Attachments

• D0F73E93-81D8-4290-A7EB-E3359D88BEC5.jpeg
    D0F73E93-81D8-4290-A7EB-E3359D88BEC5.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 100
Congrats and enjoy. I love mine. I still think it's one of the best bangs for bucks. Mine sits on a 308 where 99% of my shooting is 600 yards max on a steel range or 250 yards max hunting. For those distances and applications, its perfect.

If i had find a con, it would be that the eye box gets a little finicky at top magnification, but that seems to happen with most scopes.

Please update when you get some time behind it.

Congrats and enjoy. I love mine. I still think it's one of the best bangs for bucks. Mine sits on a 308 where 99% of my shooting is 600 yards max on a steel range or 250 yards max hunting. For those distances and applications, its perfect.

If i had find a con, it would be that the eye box gets a little finicky at top magnification, but that seems to happen with most scopes.

Please update when you get some time behind it.

if I had to give it a con I’d say no scope caps, my longest range here is 900 and I plan on maxing it out in a few weeks, I am going to zero it Saturday and try out some sample 168 grain nosler rdf bullets I got on Sunday and next weekend go out to the range again, I also need to run a tracking test on it as well

If you search past threads, there was a discussion about sunshades and caps. IIRC, either the T5Xi or M5Xi in 56 mm obj sunshade threads match and will work, but the outside diameter is off just a bit. There are also product codes for Tenebraex covers.

If you search past threads, there was a discussion about sunshades and caps. IIRC, either the T5Xi or M5Xi in 56 mm obj sunshade threads match and will work, but the outside diameter is off just a bit. There are also product codes for Tenebraex covers.

ill search now

The gap is not the same all the way across am I to close to the radius still (in the mount ) ?

Attachments

• 2BBD6B51-F490-4D61-82CC-A95852844C8F.jpeg
    2BBD6B51-F490-4D61-82CC-A95852844C8F.jpeg
    389.3 KB · Views: 134
Another look

Attachments

• 5F29A90C-635C-494C-8528-B576D7C80861.jpeg
    5F29A90C-635C-494C-8528-B576D7C80861.jpeg
    423.2 KB · Views: 79
4 and 16 power at a garbage can 330 yards away

Attachments

• D83800E0-87F3-42E5-9390-61C11D7FC75E.jpeg
    D83800E0-87F3-42E5-9390-61C11D7FC75E.jpeg
    732.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 095D48B8-5AFD-47FF-B543-7E356785F231.jpeg
    095D48B8-5AFD-47FF-B543-7E356785F231.jpeg
    423.5 KB · Views: 233
  • D487A278-4D92-495C-8D3F-D70B703D97D3.jpeg
    D487A278-4D92-495C-8D3F-D70B703D97D3.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 230
You are making my decision between this and a 3-12x LRTSi Bushnell a bit harder sir. Thanks.

You are making my decision between this and a 3-12x LRTSi Bushnell a bit harder sir. Thanks.

sorry to throw a wrench in your plans lol, but let me get it zeroed tomorrow and I’ll report back with more data and more opinion, and next weekend I’ll be going 7-800 yards and I’ll give my final verdict

i have an unboxing video I’ll send to you with initial impressions as soon as it finishes uploading

hope it helped
I ended up with the LRTSi. Mainly due to length, weight, and FOV.. This wouldn't be for anything much more than 500 yards. The new range also only goes to 380. So I'm basically replacing or moving a Vortex PST Gen 1 2.5-10x (FFP/mil). However, this did possibly cement my next purchase (don't tell Doug).

Sorry though, there won't be a video review of mine...I'd come across as an even bigger idiot ;).

Here is another update guys.

I went to a store today to grab some flip up caps, took my scope in and found the proper caps, after fitting I asked to look at a 5-25 mark 5hd, the guy behind the counter was looking at my steiner, we took both scopes outside and looked at various signs and things 3-500 yards away on the same powers.

not exceeding 16x we could tell no difference between the mark 5 or the Steiner outside of weight and reticle, granted we where hand holding each optic I could not see any fringing or much CA on wait her scope, while I am even more excited about the optic I am still going to remain neutral until I do a tracking test and a parallax adjustment test on it (read these sometimes have parallax issues).

I’ll update with a tracking test video tomorrow then zero the optic

I ended up with the LRTSi. Mainly due to length, weight, and FOV.. This wouldn't be for anything much more than 500 yards. The new range also only goes to 380. So I'm basically replacing or moving a Vortex PST Gen 1 2.5-10x (FFP/mil). However, this did possibly cement my next purchase (don't tell Doug).

Sorry though, there won't be a video review of mine...I'd come across as an even bigger idiot ;).

What are you putting it on?

Likely a 18-20” AR. That’s the plan. Of course I may put it on the M18 I acquired since the reason for that purchase would be nullified on that platform ?.

That said a guy here where I’m eating swears that Nightforce much better than Tangent Theta or ZCO. Oh boy. Lesson relearned. Just do not talk to people who start with the line of I have a 10k Barrett. Sorry. Venting not part of this discussion.

If you look at a white target, you may see CA around the edges. I’ve seen it on white paper targets at 100 and white steel targets at 1000 in certain cases. Other than that, I have not noticed any purple fringes any other times.

If you look at a white target, you may see CA around the edges. I’ve seen it on white paper targets at 100 and white steel targets at 1000 in certain cases. Other than that, I have not noticed any purple fringes any other times.

ill find out today when I take it out

Took it out and did a tracking test and then zeroed the optic, it performed awesome I did 12.5 mills in elevation and all 5 left and right.

my only complaint really would be with the lens coatings, it was raining and while I was under a roof my lenses did get water on them and the coatings didn’t shed or bead the water all that well, wonder if a person could put some rain-x or hydrophobic wax on them ?

Attachments

• AE87860A-36A7-4D56-8E51-7C8185DE39E3.jpeg
    AE87860A-36A7-4D56-8E51-7C8185DE39E3.jpeg
    311.4 KB · Views: 78
  • 1D5E1F80-9931-498A-BC50-828C313A502C.jpeg
    1D5E1F80-9931-498A-BC50-828C313A502C.jpeg
    311.1 KB · Views: 107
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Rain-X (really who drives without that) or any hydrophobic coating. However, I'm not sure I'd put that on optical glass as to me at low light it can have a slight light dispersal effect (mainly when wet and those times you still have to use wiper..aka misting and low speed).

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my Rain-X (really who drives without that) or any hydrophobic coating. However, I'm not sure I'd put that on optical glass as to me at low light it can have a slight light dispersal effect (mainly when wet and those times you still have to use wiper..aka misting and low speed).

ya I was just asking, it was a big bummer watching the rain beads just sitting on the glass, maybe Steiner could direct me to a proper product, I’ll shoot them a call tomorrow

Reactions: skintimate
ya I was just asking, it was a big bummer watching the rain beads just sitting on the glass, maybe Steiner could direct me to a proper product, I’ll shoot them a call tomorrow
I'd be highly interested in that answer. It may be perfectly fine and if so it'd be GREAT news.

I'd be highly interested in that answer. It may be perfectly fine and if so it'd be GREAT news.

I’ll make sure to reply as soon as I get off the phone with them and let you know what they say

@Tikka_taca1 Happy New Year. If you have the chance, would you mind measuring the outer diameter of the objective bell and the eyepiece? I just ordered one of these scopes and am having a bitch of a time finding a set of scope caps. I can find the Tenebraex objective cap but the ocular is out of stock. The Aadmounts are out as well. I’m hoping the vortex flip caps will work as they seem to have a size range and are fairly inexpensive to boot. I’ll share whatever I find that works on this thread. Thanks

@Tikka_taca1 Happy New Year. If you have the chance, would you mind measuring the outer diameter of the objective bell and the eyepiece? I just ordered one of these scopes and am having a bitch of a time finding a set of scope caps. I can find the Tenebraex objective cap but the ocular is out of stock. The Aadmounts are out as well. I’m hoping the vortex flip caps will work as they seem to have a size range and are fairly inexpensive to boot. I’ll share whatever I find that works on this thread. Thanks

shot some test loads and loving this optic

Measurements above

I want one...esp for that price Im not sure anything can compete. Would love to see some low light comparisons. That 56mm obj could really bring in some light...

Regards
DT

I want one...esp for that price Im not sure anything can compete. Would love to see some low light comparisons. That 56mm obj could really bring in some light...

Regards
DT

I definitely want to show some but I have nothing to compare it to nor do I know how to properly do so

I youtuber with a t5xi and p4xi both with 56mm bells (I think) said looking at a contrast chart at 100 he can see the chart for 2 min longer at dusk with his p4xi then he can with t5xi

I cannot say as I have to collect my steel targets b4 I leave the field I shoot in so I cannot wait as I don’t want To collect them in the dark

I have a T5 3-15 and it is 50mm. Still a great hunting scope as its so compact...

Ugh....Just money

Regrads,
DT

he compared it to the 5-25 t5xi

edit: it was the 3-15 sorry I guess 50 vs 56 you would expect it would go 2 min longer

he compared it to the 5-25 t5xi
[URL
unfurl="true"]https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/optic-accessories/protective-scope-covers/defender-flip-cap-lens-covers-prod83787.aspx[/URL]

I used these on my vortex, really nice was gonna use them on my steiner but idk lol didn’t wanna mix brands lol

I’d likethe tenebrex but pricy

Yeah thought about brand mixing but these are 40% the price of Tenebraex or Aadmoints. If it reall bothers me I’ll sand the Vortex branding off.

You have my interest peaked. I was looking at others but I like it’s mil/mil