• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got Some Berger 338 300 grain bullets!!

Re: Got Some Berger 338 300 grain bullets!!

I'm sorry it berger states 84 grains of H1000 is the max load.

I have loaded quite a bit for the 338 Lapua with H-1000 and 300 Berges and SMK's.

Every rifle is different. Things like bullet depth that lessens case free space and how far the bullet is off the lands, and primer choice will all affect the chamber pressure.

So here is what I suggest. Start with 84 or 86gr and the bullet .050" off the lands. Work up 3 with 86gr, 3 with 88 gr and 3 with 90 gr. Look for pressure sign. From 90 gr work up in 1/2 gr steps. If you find a sweet spot where it groups good. Play with seating depth from there.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply. I got home from shooting today and all I can say is it was horrible. With 86 gr of h1000 the bolt was getting stuck and so I loaded 82 and 82.5 grains and the groups were like 3". I haven't ever shot that bad. I even loaded some 250 grain accubonds with 84 grains of reloader 22 and the bolt was sticking. Any ideas or help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Tell us more abot the rifle? Is it coated with a coating or the factory blue? Something is definatly wrong.

Jeff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: noack920</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the reply. I got home from shooting today and all I can say is it was horrible. With 86 gr of h1000 the bolt was getting stuck and so I loaded 82 and 82.5 grains and the groups were like 3". I haven't ever shot that bad. I even loaded some 250 grain accubonds with 84 grains of reloader 22 and the bolt was sticking. Any ideas or help will be appreciated.
Thanks </div></div>

I have been doing some experiments since I am seeing loads posted that exceed the powder manufacturer max loads.

Some of the heavy duty actions and heavy barrels APPEAR to be able to handle higher than max loads listed by powder manufacturers.

In my case I shoot 7mmSTW on a BAT action and Krieger barrel and the max loads were listed at ~54,000psi. Since I have read of so many people pushing further than 54,000psi, I started to go higher in slow increments. My gun was easily able to go to 65,000psi without any kind of primer cratering, sticky bolts, primer rings, etc. I have seen loads posted that go into the 70,000psi range. Some rifles can handle this, some (I suspect factory actions), cant go too much over max.

Moral of the story. Every rifle is different, exceed the max load at your own risk, it sounds like your rifle action may not support going too much over max.

by the way, I ran your 250 accubond load with 84gr RL22 and came up with 58,500psi which is a little over published max. cheers.

I copied the info at the bottom of this post from the Hodgdon reloading data page. This is with H-1000 and a 300 SMK. Granted the bullets are different with a different bearing surface. I found 1 grain less than my SMK load was fine with the Berger Hybrib. No pressure signs in my 338 Lapua. Like I said before, I feel something is wrong. You may consider taking a look at your scale. I would start by weighing a bullet of a known weight. One close to your powder charge you have been using would be good.

Jeff

<span style="font-weight: bold">.338 Lapua Magnum ( 92 gr is the Max load shown )</span>

300 GR. SIE HPBT Hodgdon H1000 .338" 3.600"

83.0 (vel) 2383....... 43,200 CUP

92.0C (vel) 2590....... 53,000 CUP

Jeff

I also found this load for a 250 bullet and RL 22 on the Alliant powders loading date page.

<span style="font-weight: bold">BUT!! this is for a 338 Remington Ultra Magnum.</span>

They didn't show a 338 LM load

Federal min aol 3.55
Barrel length 24
Primer Fed 215
Powder Reloder 22 . 91gr.
Velocity fps) 2,895

I would stop your process till you find the problem. Like I said above. You may have a faulty scale, head space issue or something.

Jeff

thanks for all the replys I ordered some factory ammo to shoot through it to see what happens.

Well got some factory ammo and still the bolt sticks. I think something is wrong with the gun. Has anybody had to deal with remington for customer service. Hope they work with me.

Describe exacty what " bolt sticking" is. Hard to lift handle? Hard to lift the last little bit of the handle lift. Hard to pull bolt back after the lift?

Jeff

It is really hard to pull back after you lift the handle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: noack920</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is really hard to pull back after you lift the handle. </div></div>

This could very well be caused by a dirty or rusted chamber. I would clean it thoroughly with a bronze brush and solvent. Then dry it completely. It also could be caused by a rough machined chamber too. If it is rough machining, it will need to be cleaned up or rechambered by a smith.

So, not necessarily hot loads. Heavy bolt lift from a hot load is usually hard to lift the handle as well and you will see shiny spots on the head stamp area of the case.

Jeff

Are there any shiny rings around the case? It can be a ring in the chamber caused by a reamer grabbing a chip and or gualed reamer. May be just a slight ring that would turn shiny when you resize it in a die. A very slight ring can make it pretty sticky.

I shot some today with 84.3 grains of H1000 what berger said was the max load, but it was no where near 2600 fps like they also said. So it took around 14 MOA to get to 525, and 34.25 at 925 yards. So I had to fudge the velocity (chronograph OTS, need to get another) until I got the numbers to match up, and according to JBM and my palm they were running right around 2300 fps. Anyway I am going to start working the loads up and see if I can get them up to at least 2550 fps. Could it be a misprint that I got from berger? Or something else?

Load data: Hornady brass, CCI LR mag primer, 84.3 grains H1000, loaded to 3.61 to fit in the mag.

Any updates on these bullets? Meat shots?

Im researching a bullet for the 110BA 338LM Ill be ordering up soon, these bullets sound like the ticket so far. And not much more than SMKs or Scenars from powder valley.

here is the load that I worked up and I am averaging 2850FPS out of 1:10 twist 29" bbl
Bullet: 300 Grain Berger .338 Lapua
Powder Vihtavouri N170 @ 84.4 grains
OAL: 3.869

epends on your mag brother but I can tell you that my 98B mags only hold 3.746. Yes that means that IOT maintain the .001 off my lands I have to single feed. Sucks I know but thus is the life of precision shooting.

AI only makes one 338 mag right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Talljess</div><div class="ubbcode-body">epends on your mag brother but I can tell you that my 98B mags only hold 3.746. Yes that means that IOT maintain the .001 off my lands I have to single feed. Sucks I know but thus is the life of precision shooting. </div></div>

I got 870 m/s on Vihta 560 with 300 gr Berger
Accuracy was around 0.7 MOA @ 100 m

OAL was 91.5 mm

AI makes 2 lapua mags.

The old mag is for the long action including the 300 win mag, etc.

The CIP mag will load longer. However, in my experience you still have to seat the bullet very deep into the case to magazine feed.

My best accuracy / pressure results in a load running 2725 in a 26" Surgeon with Retumbo. This is magazine fed from a CIP mag.

Thanks for the info Shannon, I assume the 110BA Savage would have the newer mags. And based off some info I got from a owner recently you are right, the Bergers have to be seated to .060-.070 off the lands to fit them in the mag which he said was too long to prove accurate for that gun.

I guess it may be a two bullet gun, SMK's to run magazine fed and the Bergers for extended ranges single shot.

I've run 1000 + 338 's thru my surgeon, 9.5 twist at 2750 fps, undoubtably the best I've run into. great consistency at 1 mile and pushed them out to 2240 on Sunday. Three hits in a row at that distance, w/ the Bergers it's like cheating?!!!

Have lots of data,

They Rock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maksa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got 870 m/s on Vihta 560 with 300 gr Berger

OAL was 91.5 mm </div></div>

I am loading VV560 too, but with 300 gr Lapua Scenars... how much V560 are you using for above results???

i shoot 78 gr of h4350 with awesome results! 2700FPS with single digit spreads! Mine likes to be jumped around .010. i have shot a few deer and one speed goat. Huge holes in the animals i have shot out to 700 yards, but i shot a deer at 985 and it did not perform very well. The speed goat i had to throw the front half away it was shot at 525 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've run 1000 + 338 's thru my surgeon, 9.5 twist at 2750 fps, undoubtably the best I've run into. great consistency at 1 mile and pushed them out to 2240 on Sunday. Three hits in a row at that distance, w/ the Bergers it's like cheating?!!!

Have lots of data,

They Rock. </div></div>

Yeah they do,as witnessed by myself and others
smile.gif
Thanks again JTG for the invite.

what is your col?

does it fit inside standard magazine ?

Always Steve, w/ out your advice I'd still be working on a workable load, seating depth was the key, Thank You.

Thinking we need to head back up and proof some of those distances again.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've run 1000 + 338 's thru my surgeon, 9.5 twist at 2750 fps, undoubtably the best I've run into. great consistency at 1 mile and pushed them out to 2240 on Sunday. Three hits in a row at that distance, w/ the Bergers it's like cheating?!!!

Have lots of data,

They Rock. </div></div>

Would you share you data? I have a Savage with a 9 twist and planning on shooting 300gr

I have a Surgeon remedy with a 9.25 kreiger 28" long . I'm running 96 grains of retumbo with the 300 Berger at 3.745. This is running 2920 over the chrono and very accurate. Less than 1.5 inches of vertical spread at 600 yards. This is a hot load but I just wanted to throw it out there.

Dustin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cali_tz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maksa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got 870 m/s on Vihta 560 with 300 gr Berger

OAL was 91.5 mm </div></div>

I am loading VV560 too, but with 300 gr Lapua Scenars... how much V560 are you using for above results??? </div></div>

90.5 grains

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JTG</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Always Steve, w/ out your advice I'd still be working on a workable load, seating depth was the key, Thank You.

Thinking we need to head back up and proof some of those distances again. </div></div>

Your'e welcome JTG! It was a ton of fun as usual! That was one of those good shooting days,aye ? See you next year
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SevenBat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a Surgeon remedy with a 9.25 kreiger 28" long . I'm running 96 grains of retumbo with the 300 Berger at 3.745. This is running 2920 over the chrono and very accurate. Less than 1.5 inches of vertical spread at 600 yards. This is a hot load but I just wanted to throw it out there.

Dustin </div></div>

I also have a surgeon remedy in 338. That's doable but not only hot, but <span style="font-weight: bold">very hot.</span> Anyone playing with this needs to work up slowly, particularly if its a different action.

I bought the new Berger Hybrid bullets recently (I have yet to try them) but I have never used anything but Reloader 22 and have had good results with the 300 grain SMK. Has does the Reloader 22 compare to other powders mentioned on this Thread?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338LMshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> How does the Reloader 22 compare to other powders mentioned on this Thread? </div></div>

I have always used H-1000 or Retumbo due to the fact that RL-22 is more temp sensitive. If you shoot at close to the same temps all the time and find the powder accurate you should be fine. But I think you will find that H-1000 and Retumbo are the most common used powders behing .338 / 300 gr bullets to keep the vertical close to the same on different days. It is more relevant if you are into first round cold bore hits for sure.

Jeff

Jeff

Have you had a chance to test VV570 yet? I'm hearing some impressive things about the powder, I just wish I could find some so I can test it.

JeffVN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeff

Have you had a chance to test VV570 yet? I'm hearing some impressive things about the powder, I just wish I could find some so I can test it.

JeffVN </div></div>

No I have not. In fact I know nothing about it. So it is not sesitive to temps? Please let me know if you do some testing.

Thanks

Broz

thanks for the input.
I will give the H 1000 and Retumbo a try.

Anyone have any loads worked up using H1000 and 300 grain'ers ? Looking for how many grains of powder and fps. Thanks Ron

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Revolution</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone have any loads worked up using H1000 and 300 grain'ers ? Looking for how many grains of powder and fps. Thanks Ron </div></div>

Ron, have you read this thread? Lots of data you may be interested in.

Jeff

If anybody tries these out and they dont work out for your rig PM me Ill take your leftovers, Id like to try them as well before buying a large quantity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeff

JeffVN </div></div>

I can't find 570 anywhere! But I am working up loads with vv165 and 560.
So far loads in development (110ba/338lm) are with h4831sc, retumbo, vv165, vv560 and with 300smk and 300 scenar, if I can get a hold of some other pills, I'd love to try those too. If anyone knows a place that has 570 in stock, let me know!

I use 87 gr h1000 with lapua brass 300gr berger hybrid in a gap shoots extreamly well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NoVa birdman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeffvn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jeff

JeffVN </div></div>

I can't find 570 anywhere! But I am working up loads with vv165 and 560.
So far loads in development (110ba/338lm) are with h4831sc, retumbo, vv165, vv560 and with 300smk and 300 scenar, if I can get a hold of some other pills, I'd love to try those too. If anyone knows a place that has 570 in stock, let me know!</div></div>

I'd love to know what you're seeing with your 338LM load dev... esp with VV560 and Retumbo. I am experimenting with both, 215M primers, Hornady brass (some Lapua), and 250 and 300 Scenars. On a Rem 700.

Hi i have 570 here in Australia just rmember that the 100 series VV powders are temp stable like Hodgdon Extreme the 500 series are double based like re22 and 25 so they are not temp stable either if you want to use VV powders in extreme wether situations stick with the 100 series like 165 or 170.

Cali_tz,
Just finished my 2nd round of development with the retumbo/300smk/hornady brass, looks like the accuracy node for my 110ba is right around 90.2gr, with 0.020" jump. One more test and I'll have that one done...but so far it's shooting right around 1/3 MOA

Next up is a parallel test:
Retumbo/300scenar/lapua brass and
Vv165/300smk/lapua brass and
Vv165/300scenar/lapua

Followed by
Vv560 with both pills and then h4831sc with both.

I'll post up load details on the first set after I finish all the stats.

After reading threw this i thought i would throw out what we have found.

The berger bullets are shooters hands down.

The rifles we used to test these for our own use was a MLR Factory-No Comment.

Second was a Defiance Machine action Set with at 32in Krieger Barrel 9.35 twist that was MMI TruTec Nitrided PTG Tactical Match Reamer cut for the 300gr bullets

As many hoped of the super hi bc we were some what disapointed. Oh well Sh-t Happens.

Like Normal and many we worked loads up in .2 from Middle of the load chart for the 300gr SMK.

Please do not load at these levels with out slowly working up to them to see where your pressure signs are.

Right out of the gate we had .400 groups and hung in that .4-.6 5 shot groups at 100 yards. once we got to 92grs of H1000 the groups fell to .226 we went tell we started seeing pressure at 94.2 thats when bolt lift was tight extraction was sticky. We Repeated the 91.6 up to 92.6 and again the 92grs showed groups under the .300 range for 5 shots. with roughly 2 minutes between rounds.

For anyone wondering if the berger bullets perform yes they do, i was lucky enough to put 1 300gr berger into a nice 5x6 bull elk this year. Dime size hole in nice 3inch hole out, with everything in between turned to creamy red goo. at 956 yards bullet was never recovered.

If any more info is wanted please feel free to contact me at
[email protected]

Load info

Lapua Virgin Brass
cci 250 mag
H1000 @ 92.0
Berger 300Gr
Vel-2850 High 2859 Low 2848

Sorry for the possible spelling an grammer cell phone typing.

BigSky