• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Got to 1000, now what do I do?

wadcutter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2008
NSW Australia
www.austargets.com
OK boys,
I have got all the bugs sorted out of my .338 Edge and it is now shooting consistently within my accuracy ability.

I have shot the 300 grain SMK zero at 100 yards and edveloped a good starting practice load. (now 2770 fps). I then practiced a fair bit at 440 yards before pushing out to 1000 yards. My Exbal, drop chart was a bit out at 1000 yards (5 inches low) so I have adjusted my velocity down a bit to match. I then went back to 610 yards and bullet point of impact was right where the Exbal predicted it should be.

Now what do I do? Continue to practice at or under 1000 yards or push it out further? My aim is to be proficient with this rifle out to the maximum of its and my ability. Im having a lot of fun so far.
........Thanks

Re: Got to 1000, now what do I do?

I say get comfortable at 500-1000 and slowly push past 1000. I look it in the same way as long distance running. Build stamina to different distances and build upon it.

Best of luck!

Wadcutter,

Pick a calm day and send some lead out as far as you can.No guts no glory...right?Shooting on steel is allot more fun than paper.

Be sure you also pic a place with a backstop so you can identify the bullet strikes in the dirt or on rock easier.

Steve

Agree with Steve. With that 338 Edge, you should be able to stretch out to about 2K.

Get off of your belly or the bench. Do all those ranges from alternate positions, then do them left handed

Ok boys,
Good advice, will be out in the field this week and stretch the legs of this rifle a bit more.
Hope to post the results with a few pictures next week.

Shot out at 1105 yards this morning. Sligh head wind but warm 80F.
Dont know whats going on. I used my adjusted velocity of 2770 fps and it now shoots about 1 MOA high.

This is a bit strange as I just dropped my input velocity from 2800 fps to 2770 fps to match with the actual POI hitting 5" low at 1000 yards. Now it is hitting about 12" high at 1105 yards with the new input velocity of 2770 fps.

Maybe I was getting a bit of lift from the slight head wind? The area I shoot is accross two gullies and has a small hill in the middle.

Back up farther and aim higher.

You'll find shooting at extreme distance things change and your come ups won't work. I have a place I shoot out to 2200 yds. We have a 1K rock we use to adjust our zero for the day and even that changes during the day. There are so many factors that come into play when you get past a 1000 yds. A twittie bird can fart along the way and you miss by a foot. Just put more lead in the air. Warm air is less dense and you'll hit higher. Welcome to the world of long range shooting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave Tooley</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Back up farther and aim higher.

A twittie bird can fart along the way and you miss by a foot. </div></div>

LOL ...

At distances near and beyond 1000yd, it's probably fair to say that uniform conditions along a trajectory are about as common as hen's teeth.

Air currents move on all directions, each adding their own energy to the displacement.

Vertical and side drafts will displace in the direction they move.

Head and tailwinds don't develop lift, they affect drag; increasing or decreasing time of flight. Longer flight duration, more drop and drift; shorter flight duration, less drop and drift.

Where head/tailwinds are involved, that's the entire story. This one has been hashed and hammered out here ad nauseam.

The effects of real-world atmospheric complexities lend a helping of uncertainty to longer shots. A high BC and high MV can hedge the outcomes, but nothing in our power can either predict or amend the precise eventual outcome once the projectile leaves our control.

It's like putting a note in a bottle, the currents have the final say.

You can load your hopes on a platter laden with mass and velocity; and try to impose your will upon reality. Likewise you can turn down the wick and accept that no matter what you do, nature always plays its part. I can't tell you which approach to choose. I can tell you that seeking out nature and shooting in the multitude of conditions will help your understanding of nature; whichever approach you choose. That understanding will help you either way. Once the understanding takes hold, either approach will work more to your satisfaction.

My approach is the latter. I figure I can turn down the wick, reduce the costs and stress levels, and make some progress toward allying my efforts with nature, rather than opposing it. Nature will always do its part; either on my behalf, or despite it.

Yes there are differences in performance between larger and smaller bores, and smaller bores get a bigger slice of nature along the way. If I wanted to learn about nature, I'd be doing my looking where it has its greatest effect.

Get out there and learn.

Greg

Mate,

Dont stress ! YOu will find you can shoot that target on three different days and have 3 slightly different points of impact. Just the game we play.

The trick will be to shoot in lots of conditions and you will probably tweak things as you go a little and then settle on the best BC and fps number that makes the system work. Probably took 100 rounds in my gun too for confidence.

I shot a 10 shot group the other day and had 8/10 in a softball size group at 600M then 2 jumped a full 1 moa high and 1 left.... I then took a look at the mirage and it had turned 180 deg and started tailwinding up to the target causing the lift. Just got to pay attention to the cond very careful or you have that happen. You only will get in the groove by practise.

Your doing very well anyway for so early in the game. Keep at it !

DUH

If needed tune your loads for the best performance than start going to the 1 mile 1760
Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wadcutter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK boys,
I have got all the bugs sorted out of my .338 Edge and it is now shooting consistently within my accuracy ability.

I have shot the 300 grain SMK zero at 100 yards and edveloped a good starting practice load. (now 2770 fps). I then practiced a fair bit at 440 yards before pushing out to 1000 yards. My Exbal, drop chart was a bit out at 1000 yards (5 inches low) so I have adjusted my velocity down a bit to match. I then went back to 610 yards and bullet point of impact was right where the Exbal predicted it should be.

Now what do I do? Continue to practice at or under 1000 yards or push it out further? My aim is to be proficient with this rifle out to the maximum of its and my ability. Im having a lot of fun so far.
........Thanks
</div></div>