• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gov. Limiting Supplies?

Karma Enforcer
Minuteman
Jul 19, 2014
Where is all the reloading supplies?!?

1. Could the Gov. have ties and limiting the amounts that roll off the production line?
2. Could they be buyin it all up?
3. Could the manufacturers be purposely causing a shortage?

This is pathetic. Certain powders havent been available for over a year. Sure, there may be more gun owners than what there were say, 10 years ago, but everybody and their brother isnt reloading. Your every day gun owner doesnt reload. He buys factory ammo and calls it a day. Only a small percentage of us reload, and youre telling me these major companies cant supply us with supplies? No powder. No primers. No brass. Limited choices when it comes to bullets. This is bullshit!

What is going on?

There using all that powder, primer and projectile stock to make factory ammo (which sells at a higher margin) to feed the guns of all those new guys that are hopefully going to fight to keep our sport viable.

Enjoy the shortage it may mean we get to do this with stronger numbers

Also companies like hornady are only manufacturing certain things at a time to keep operating costs low. Then they rotate what they are making to something different for a limited time.

Maybe powder companies are the same way.

Sierracharlie out....

1. No
2. No
3. Fuck NO. It's their pockets they would be hurting.

Numerous manufacturers have already spoken about this an many have things listed on their websites about demand. Multiple ammo manufacturers are running their plants at full capacity 24/7 to meet the unanticipated demand. There are more shooters, shooting more often, and a ton of new reloaders who have entered the market as well. While frustrating at times, it is a good thing as that means there are more of us out there shooting now. That is a good thing.

Components are available, just have to look locally and online. There's not much that can't be found, it's just not readily available in large quantities as it once was. It's not wise for manufacturers to increase their production capacity until things slow down a bit back to normal as they do not want to over invest in new equipment. It'll work itself out eventually.

Last edited:
I've actually noticed more components becoming available lately. I think hoarders (guilty) are pretty stocked up, and not snapping up as much as they can when it is available. Some things (Varget, 140 Amax's, etc.) can still be hard to find. Look every day. Often, every day.

Of course it's a gubmint conspiracy. The big ammo makers are in bed with the enemy just like all the big airlines are in bed with the gubmint to spread mind altering chemicals from every jet that flies overhead.
Yeh, so no.

You're a new member here? Right? This subject has been beaten to death in the last 2 years. Just do a search in the upper right corner.

This day and age, nothing surprises me. And I dont rule out any possibilities. Being gullable can get you killed.

Yeah, but why bump old worn out threads? Its good to bring "old" subjects to light again once in awhile to see if there is any new info. Do you not question anything in life, or do you just go with the "official" report and be done with it? Since ya know, its probably been beaten to death anyway...

Yep just bigger demand

.........but I do think the government us buying all the Win231 just to piss me off.

Also companies like hornady are only manufacturing certain things at a time to keep operating costs low. Then they rotate what they are making to something different for a limited time.

Not exactly. They stopped production last year on some bullets based on sales volume. Low volume bullets were stopped to allow making bullets that sold in larger quantities.

Also factored in was the changeover time from making one bullet to another. A lot of time wasted to make a short run of low volume bullets.

Not exactly. They stopped production last year on some bullets based on sales volume. Low volume bullets were stopped to allow making bullets that sold in larger quantities.

Also factored in was the changeover time from making one bullet to another. A lot of time wasted to make a short run of low volume bullets.

Correct i was referring to cost of the manufacturer having to change components (ie losing money to change to something they don't sell.) guess I could have typed a little longer.

Sierracharlie out....

Just looked at my favorite suppliers site and found more than I need for a change.

People need to understand how a system like Powder and Bullet manufacturing works. Powders are made in batches and not every powder type is in production at the same time. Different powders are scheduled for manufacture based on a forecast model. Same for bullets.

What's caused the latest shortages is the insane amounts of bullets, powder, primers, and brass that the shooting community suddenly purchased. Once the word got out to those who don't shoot much, if at all, that components were in short supply, they grabbed whatever they saw on the shelf regardless if they used it themselves or even knew what it was used for to begin with. Figured they'd flip it for a quick profit and guess what, a lot of knowledgeable shooters helped them out. On top of this all, shooters who had multi-year supplies for their own needs joined in the rush to clean the shelves of components.

All this demand has made ammunition manufacture quite profitable for the companies that have vertical integration in their system. They make (or control the supply) of powder they use, the brass they use, the primers they use, and grab up as many bullets by the truckload as they need. Put it all together and sell it at margins that they never realized before.

Ammo manufacture has even become profitable enough for some new entries to the market.

We're at the tipping point now as most of those trying to profiteer have found it isn't as easy as they think. Factories are catching up with the reduced demand. Shooters are realizing, with the help of the Supreme Court, that our rights aren't going to be infringed upon as badly as feared. Even lower Federal Courts are starting to beat back the attempts at stripping citizens of their 2A rights (latest ruling against WA DC).

It's all coming back, slowly. Nobody's holding back, it just takes time.

I thought this was a joke. Not saying its impossible, but that's some hard core conspiracy to think the government is plotting against your reloads.
To OP, do factories have a different source of powder than we do? When the CEO of hornady has specifically stated openly that they have a back order equivalent to a year of production, is he just part of it? Are they also buying up all the premium reloading gear like Forster coaxes and giraud annealers? Hell the giraud case trimmers are still on a 4 month back order which makes them harder to get then damn near everything else.

What's caused the latest shortages is the insane amounts of bullets, powder, primers, and brass that the shooting community suddenly purchased. Once the word got out to those who don't shoot much, if at all, that components were in short supply, they grabbed whatever they saw on the shelf regardless if they used it themselves or even knew what it was used for to begin with. Figured they'd flip it for a quick profit and guess what, a lot of knowledgeable shooters helped them out. On top of this all, shooters who had multi-year supplies for their own needs joined in the rush to clean the shelves of components.

That's exactly what I have observed. Guys lined up at Cabela's to be the first ones through the door and buying their limit of whatever is on the shelf. Other guys grabbing the first powder they see and then walking over and looking at a manual on the shelf to see if they can make something with it. Guys talking about "picking up some extra" since it was there, whether they needed it or not. Guys bragging about having 100,000 rounds of .22 LR sitting in their basement.

I'm not suggesting that any of this could or should be prohibited in a free market, but we need to realize that the inventory we are used to seeing on store shelves is now residing in homes across America.

I have some friends that know I reload. They call me for info. Some bought their first gun (ARs) during the scare, and have been franticly searching for ammo AND components since then. When they can't find what they want, they get more frantic. AND THEY DON'T RELOAD. They just want to "be ready to". This is just 3-5 of my friends , that I know do this. Multiply that across America, to get an idea of what's going on. Although, I do think the Manufacturers are "enjoying" the profits and projections.

Last edited:
Two things! Shooting is more popular now than ever before. More ranges, more matches, more guns being made and sold. Everyone now has an AR platform, many have several. F/class is probably the fastest growing shooting sport and to compete you have to reload.......Then...you have the Doomsday preppers...as soon as a can of powder or primers hits the shelf....they'er gone!!! Any more questions?

I'm not suggesting that any of this could or should be prohibited in a free market, but we need to realize that the inventory we are used to seeing on store shelves is now residing in homes across America.

I wouldn't want to see this limited either. I believe that life (and karma) has a way of teaching people like this a lesson. Those who've been grabbing powder, primers, and other components with the idea of getting rich may well find themselves with product that is valued far less than what they paid for it in the not too distant future.

Remember the days when people were grabbing all the AR-15 mags they could regardless of price or quality then started offering them for sale on all the auction sites, gun boards, or even among their "friends"? Those $20-$30 mags are now available in "ten packs" for well under $100 today from legitimate sources.

Same thing happened with primers once the supply caught up with demand. Would you buy an old box of primers from a questionable source if you could buy all you want from a legit dealer and it's "fresh stock".

As my Dad used to tell me, "Don't worry, they'll get theirs someday."

Two things! Shooting is more popular now than ever before. More ranges, more matches, more guns being made and sold.

I've really wondered about that part of the explanation, especially as it applies to rimfire. Back when I was a kid, I think it was pretty popular to just take the .22 out for an afternoon of shooting cans, squirrels, whatever. There were never issues with finding a place to shoot. Sandpits, family farms, woods, etc. Today, many of those places have been lost to development and restrictions. The public shooting ranges are more crowded than ever, but I'm not sure there are really more shooters out there, in total.

I've really wondered about that part of the explanation, especially as it applies to rimfire. Back when I was a kid, I think it was pretty popular to just take the .22 out for an afternoon of shooting cans, squirrels, whatever. There were never issues with finding a place to shoot. Sandpits, family farms, woods, etc. Today, many of those places have been lost to development and restrictions. The public shooting ranges are more crowded than ever, but I'm not sure there are really more shooters out there, in total.

I can understand that reasoning, and I also was one that was in the woods hunting squirrels, etc., but I feel with the population being double what it was then and the increased interest due to being at war for 15 years with the hundreds of thousands of veterans we have and they probably all have AR's at home. Plus, you can't ignor the "cool" factor that the younger generation has with this stuff, especially with the video games available, they want to shoot the "real" stuff. there is a ton of ammo being shot up every day. I remember a box of .22's would last me a long time just hunting squirrels. Now most people shoot up a couple hundred in one session. Yeah.... I think it's a lot more today than ever before.

I remember a box of .22's would last me a long time just hunting squirrels. Now most people shoot up a couple hundred in one session. Yeah.... I think it's a lot more today than ever before.

That's a good point, too. I kind of remember focusing more on marksmanship than mag dumps.

I don't think they are limiting supplies, but they have put in some rather large orders themselves at the same time this explosion of new shooters came onto the market. So between the two and the demand for new ammo its just shorted the supply.