• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GPS Maps for Private Property vs Public Property

MtGoat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2003
Middleton, Idaho
Ran into a bit of a rub today. I thought (and still believe) that I was on BLM property but got ran off by someone that said that I was on private property. They were actually very nice about it and I had shot most of the ground squirrels in the immediate area anyway but just the same....
I have heard about software for a Garmin 60CSx (or about any GPS) that has private vs public proerty loaded on the maps. Has anyone used it before and who has the most accurate version available?

Wouldn't it be nice to pull out the GPS and say "nope this is public"
smile.gif

Thanks
Pat

Re: GPS Maps for Private Property vs Public Property

There's two problems here, the biggest is not who's land you're actually on. The larger problem is you've got someone who believes you are on their land. If they armed, and anywhere I'd be willing to hunt I'd guess the locals armed armed, then you're at an impasse. Right or wrong, you can quickly find you're self in the middle of two people arguing with guns present over in you're case squirrels.

My recommendation, go find an easier place to shoot squirrels without the odd ball.

That being said let's move on to the second half of the equation, who's land are you really on. I wouldn't trust ANY major brand of maps with what is public and what is private. I use to work for a small civil engineering company while I was in school. One of the things I did while I was there was to rebuild a small city's maps from scratch. Among the things I learned is very, VERY few people know where they're property boundaries really are. I LOTS of properties where what people thought they owned, and what the actually owned varied. Found parts of the city, the city thought they had annexed and they hadn't. The world of who owns what land is very vague, and you really need to get into deeds to know who actually owns what.

Pulling out your iphone and showing him google maps might work, as I said before, what do you do when he doesn't agree with you're GPS.

All and all it's a messy situation.
frown.gif

Here is what I do - remember it depends on if your county has a GIS system.

<span style="font-style: italic">Someone asked me via PM how to find places to shoot. I thought I might as well post it here as well. Also for those that are looking for others to shoot with: A) Go shoot by yourself. 99% of all the rounds I have fired have been by myself. Your schedule rarely matches up with another's. Don't let not having a partner stop you. B) You will have better odds of finding shooting buddies if you are the one that always knows where to go shoot.

How to find places in the woods to shoot:

1. Go to the county's GIS web site such as http://washims.co.washington.or.us/gis/- many counties in OR have these, some are better than others. Worst case you may have to call the county or even a title company - give them an area and ask for an inventory of all public lands and the appropriate map (parcel map) to locate them.

2. Fire up Google Earth

3. What you want to find using a combination of the two is PUBLIC LAND that is easily accessible, and will give you the right amount of distance - use the Google Earth Measuring Tool.

4. Get a USGI Quad Map for the appropriate area.

5. Pull the coordinates off Google Earth and go out and physically inspect them (remember Google Earth datum is WSG 84, your USGI map may be different. When you load the co-ords in your GPS, load them right off of Google Earth using WSG 84, then via your GPS convert them to whatever datum your USGI Quad map is in). Make 1000% sure you are on Public Land and not on private land - use the map / gps / compass to confirm this.

6. Things to know - Oregon Law has no problem with shooting on public land, it has a major problem with shooting across a road - regardless of what type of road it is (skid trail, improved dirt, paved). Therefore, the common fix is when your driving look for areas of the road that "U" back around such that you can see the other side. If the shot looks good, go below the road line 30 - 50 yards (or more if the distance is really big) with a shovel and a matlock to dig a flat spot in the side of the hill. Set your target here and then drive back around to the other side of the "U" and make the shot. I like places where the public can not see the shooting position or the target from the road. This takes a little extra effort but not much in most cases.

** ETA - be smart - be able to see a good stretch of road on both sides of the target such that you can see any approaching vehicle. Regardless of how far your target is below the road line, do not fire while that vehicle is anywhere near it.

Get out there and good luck.</span>

As a follow up if you have a GIS system and an Iphone, you can download this free app - you can stand there and do it in real time

Have fun

Good luck

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

I have the Wyoming map. I have compared it with plotting UTM's on a 1-24k map, and it was dead on. I don't go hunting without it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There's two problems here, the biggest is not who's land you're actually on. The larger problem is you've got someone who believes you are on their land. If they armed, and anywhere I'd be willing to hunt I'd guess the locals armed armed, then you're at an impasse. Right or wrong, you can quickly find you're self in the middle of two people arguing with guns present over in you're case squirrels.

My recommendation, go find an easier place to shoot squirrels without the odd ball.

That being said let's move on to the second half of the equation, who's land are you really on. I wouldn't trust ANY major brand of maps with what is public and what is private. I use to work for a small civil engineering company while I was in school. One of the things I did while I was there was to rebuild a small city's maps from scratch. Among the things I learned is very, VERY few people know where they're property boundaries really are. I LOTS of properties where what people thought they owned, and what the actually owned varied. Found parts of the city, the city thought they had annexed and they hadn't. The world of who owns what land is very vague, and you really need to get into deeds to know who actually owns what.

Pulling out your iphone and showing him google maps might work, as I said before, what do you do when he doesn't agree with you're GPS.

All and all it's a messy situation.
frown.gif
</div></div>

Definately not worth getting shot over. If you are on public lands typically the "land owner" will back down when you call their bluff. If they don't it is time to apologize for the mistake and leave PDQ.

Doesn't hurt to take a sheriffs deputy squirrel hunting next time after verifying the status of the ground at the local court house
laugh.gif

This has happened a number of times where someone with grazing rights tries to "shut down" public ground. If they have animals on the ground you won't find me on their ground. If it is BLM with no cattle grazing then it is yours and mine as much as theirs (but don't damage anything as it is everyone elses as well).
If someone is nice enough to allow you on their private ground remember you are a guest and be very appreciative and you just might get to return
smile.gif
I got "private" pheasant hunting privaledges on a farm as I ALWAYS shared my harvest with them cleaned and ready to wash and cook. They always looked forward to a few pheasants every Fall until he passed away and she had to go to a home. She did get a few birds even after they sold the farm
smile.gif
It was the least one can do for the privaledge of being a guest.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Redmanss</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not vouching for the accuracy of these maps, but this is where I download everything for my Garmin and everything I've used thus far is spot on. Lots of land ownership maps available for free.

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/state/id </div></div>

Cool something to play with in down-time.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

I have the Wyoming map. I have compared it with plotting UTM's on a 1-24k map, and it was dead on. I don't go hunting without it. </div></div>

Even more stuff to look into

Thanks
Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MtGoat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: G14</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

I have the Wyoming map. I have compared it with plotting UTM's on a 1-24k map, and it was dead on. I don't go hunting without it. </div></div>

Even more stuff to look into

Thanks
Pat </div></div>

+1 on the huntingmaps.com I've heard guys tell stores just like the original post that had this and pulled out the software to prove to the landowner they were on public ground

http://www.longrangehunting.com/gearshop/gps-hunting-topo-maps.html

Property tax records are public information. The state of Tennessee puts them online, along with a map of the property boundaries. If someplace as bass-ackwards as Tennessee does it, I've got to figure most other states probably do the same.

When someone gives me permission to hunt on their land, after they've shown me around, I look up the parcel's online tax records and compare that to the Google Earth image (and usually one of the sites with topo maps as well). Sometimes I make my own maps and sometimes I just record the Lat-Longs of the extremes of the property boundaries.

The state's online tax records might not be current but I figure if they're not, no commercial vendor's is going to be correct either.