• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GPS RangeFinder?

NFW

Private
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2013
Ive just read a few things on here about when people shoot out to distance they dont necessarily have a range finder but they use a GPS to find how far the object is away from them. I was wondering is this a special GPS or an app i can get on my IPhone to use so i dont have to get a $500 rangefinder

I'm not really sure what kind of GPS they're using but i'm guessing it's something along the lines of a Garmin maybe. They're probably setting a nav point when they drop their target and then setting another from their firing position. The GPS will then tell them the approx. range. Don't think you can do it with a smart phone app very accurately.

I'm not really sure what kind of GPS they're using but i'm guessing it's something along the lines of a Garmin maybe. They're probably setting a nav point when they drop their target and then setting another from their firing position. The GPS will then tell them the approx. range. Don't think you can do it with a smart phone app very accurately.

That is exactly what I do when I use my Garmin 60CSX. I simply drop a way point where I am shooting and then walking out towards my target. It will measure my distance very accurately. Now, this is time consuming and not possible in competitions, so I purchased a range finder. But even at $500 my Zeiss rangefinder is not adequate for the Sniper's Hide Cup. My friend and I are looking into the $3,000 range now. Sigh… expensive sport here.

Hope this helps. If you need help figuring out how exactly to do this, let me know. A good Garmin GPS is about $100 - $200.

That is exactly what I do when I use my Garmin 60CSX. I simply drop a way point where I am shooting and then walking out towards my target. It will measure my distance very accurately. Now, this is time consuming and not possible in competitions, so I purchased a range finder. But even at $500 my Zeiss rangefinder is not adequate for the Sniper's Hide Cup. My friend and I are looking into the $3,000 range now. Sigh… expensive sport here.

Hope this helps. If you need help figuring out how exactly to do this, let me know. A good Garmin GPS is about $100 - $200.

Some once told me that precision rifle shooting doesn't cost all the money in the world. Just all the money you have, plus 10%. ?

I get by pretty good with my Leica 1600B.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All you need are the coordinates of your target and your firing position. To my knowledge, iPhones do not have a GPS receiver so you won't get reliable fixes with any app.

I just loaded and app called "Distance and Area" on my Android phone to do exactly what you described. I'm going out to the farm this morning to test it. I'll let you know how it works.

We'll I actually just got an app for my iPhone called spyglass, so far it has been working great, it's like a scope and you pick where you can drop points also tells you the angle up or down. But drop a point in my front yard said it was about 100ft away which was pretty damn close. I'm gonna play with it more and take it too the range next time to see how close it will get.

Ive just read a few things on here about when people shoot out to distance they dont necessarily have a range finder but they use a GPS to find how far the object is away from them. I was wondering is this a special GPS or an app i can get on my IPhone to use so i dont have to get a $500 rangefinder

The iPhone app that I use is called GPS Measure. It is free and gets me within 5-10 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on the particular Android phone, the GPS is VERY accurate.

Just for fun, heres the location of the pits at Ben Avery shooting facility outside of Phoenix, AZ. Just copy and past the lat,lon below into http://maps.google.com

33.80716958169229, -112.14808881282806

That should be right at the corner of the concrete on the right side of the line - like within a foot.

I use the motion-x gps app for iphone. It's usually within 5 yards out to 1000 yards. I set up the target, put it as my waypoint, than drive and tap the distance button, until I reach my desired range, than pull out the rangefinder to hone in, works well enough