• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

GPS unit reccomendations?...

Wags

Private
Minuteman
Aug 6, 2019
My GPS unit was stolen and I'm leaving for Wyoming next week.

Has anyone used the Garmin 610, 650 or 680? Im looking at those but open to suggestions... any help would be appreciated.

I run a montana and an older 62 (which is replaced by the 64 now), both are nice and kind of depends are what you want. Obviously the Montana is a touch screen and can use a rechargeable battery pack which is a huge plus if you plan on recharging via solar panel. The screen on the montana is also slightly larger FYI. I don't use either with heavy gloves on but that would probably be my biggest concern while hunting (ease of use).

I personally would pass on a 701 for main navigation because it doesn't have topographic map, but I run one for my ballistic computer and 8 digit grid and like it for that. The only way I would run a 701 as primary is if I had a good map of my hunting area to compare my 8 digit grid to, and a quality compass and grid reader.

Onx hunt and a tablet or your phone. Best hunting product I ever purchased. Has multiple overlays for what you are hunting and is a hybrid topo/Sat map. You can scout areas and all kind of stuff. I don't use my Garmin at all anymore.

I've grown to like OnX hunt on my phone and tablet. You have to download map and detail of where you will be if cell phone coverage is not available.

My GPS unit was stolen and I'm leaving for Wyoming next week.

Has anyone used the Garmin 610, 650 or 680? Im looking at those but open to suggestions... any help would be appreciated.

The Garmin Rino 755T gives you Radio + the mapping and can use the OnX chip. If you guys have two or more you can send locations and Nav to each other. They communicate with handheld Hams like the Boafangs etc.

I always keep a tiny Garmin inReach that gives me Sat text comunication.. The larger one has color maps..

PS I don't need a solver when hunting out to 600.. but knowing exactly where you are is key if you want to stay legit in some parts of Wyoming or Colorado

I've grown to like OnX hunt on my phone and tablet. You have to download map and detail of where you will be if cell phone coverage is not available.

I've had horrible reliability with that. I've had downloaded maps not load in areas with limited cell service. Same for positioning. The icon wont show unless I had good cell service on my phone... I'm not chancing it.

If you download the maps where you are going to be you don't need cell service. I use mine on a tablet that has no cell phone anything. GPS doesn't need cell service.

If you download the maps where you are going to be you don't need cell service. I use mine on a tablet that has no cell phone anything. GPS doesn't need cell service.

Funny, that has not worked on my phone even with downloads.

Can't comment on the particular units you are asking about...but I have been happily using the Garmin Oregon 600 with Onx chip for several years now, without issue.

The only complaint I have is that sometimes I do wish the touchscreen was a bit larger.

I also have the Onx app loaded on my phone, but it is not always reliable, even with the areas downloaded for offline use.

Ymmv.

Reactions: Wags
Used it for years. 1 it kills phones quickly even downloaded. I still use it but not for big country. Heat can render a phone inop as well.

If I carry a phone I want it to be in working order as I try to find cell, even if it means it a slim chance - hence the sat communicator.

FYI for navigation, I have a Garmin Oregon, Montana, Fenix 5x, 1000’s, inreach, etc.. Honestly, the new generation like the Rhino is fast accurate and gets great reception.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eurodriver
Use it on my Samsung e tablet get about 4 days out of it before I have to recharge. Then I use a anker battery to recharge. I never had it not show me where I was.

Don't know about wyoming works in Colorado . This year's hunt days were 30 to 40 and 12 to 20 at night.

Reactions: Wags
Elk from opening Bow.. My son and his buddy.. 40 minutes from my house in Laramie..

Just smoked tonight.
2F68E1A9-56A1-49C2-AEED-D64F025F330D.jpeg

Proud of the 19year boys. This weekend they added a Mulie..

I have ElK 3rd rifle in CO for November. No way I am packing a tablet :)

Bass pro/cabelas has the 64t on sale for $199, from $349.

Elk from opening Bow.. My son and his buddy.. 40 minutes from my house in Laramie..

Just smoked tonight.
View attachment 7149725

Proud of the 19year boys. This weekend they added a Mulie..

I have ElK 3rd rifle in CO for November. No way I am packing a tablet :)

Congrats! We own property out of Craig and Dixon Wyoming. We're going for 1st rifle deer.

Next year I'm doing 1st rifle deer and antelope in WY and CO. Looking forward to it already.

Reactions: Diver160651