• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing GPS. What's everyone using?

clrems77

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2013
Orange County Ca
Looking to buy a GPS system to use for hunting due to my lack of directional awareness. I'm learning to read top maps and the lay of the land, but wouldn't feel comfortable going out without a guide or GPS. Want something with good signal that works everywhere, but doesn't have too many functions that'll confuse me. Price range would be around 2-300 unless you recommend something great in a lower range.

Thanks in advance!
CJ

I have two Garmin 550T units that have a color screen, come pre-loaded with all the maps, and have GMRS radio and camera. A great feature is that when I click on the key, it sends my location to my partner, and to Panty-6 at base camp. When they reply, it shows their location on my screen.
The only feature not on this, but available as an option is road following. Every route is direct line, rather than staying on the roads.
I also downloaded "Topo Maps" An iPhone app from Phillip Endecott. Because the iPhone is not cell dependent, the maps are usable with only Satellite signal. I also have a mophie phone case which effectively gives me 2 1/2 times the battery life. Once paid for (I think it was either 9 bucks or 13) ALL map downloads are FREE. As many as you want. Up to your phone's limit of capacity.
This summer we chased a cross-country Hang Glider pilot, who landed once in the center of the Sheldon NWR, and once out in the desert north east of Hart Mountain. He had just bought a NUVI, by Garmin (I don't know the model). It found and plotted routes on roads that were mere tracks out there. WE were on roads that hadn't been driven on in at least 7 years (my guess, and after checking with BLM who work the area). The Nuvi plotted routes from either Lat/Long, or Degrees, Min's, Sec's, and took us by road directly to the pilot. I was impressed.
Addenda, I had a Tom tom for highway. It sucked big green DD.

Last edited:
I picked up a Garmin 62s on sale at cabelas for I think $200. I asked all my western hunting buddies and 90% of them had and liked this model.

I have both a 62s and 60cst. Both are great. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Garmin.

I've been using the delorme pn-60w and love it

Thanks for everyones responses. Cabelas has the Garmin 62s on sale for $250 which seems to be a good choice across the board from the hide and everyone else ive been asking. Leaning real hard towards this.

Upgraded my old Garmin eTrex with the GARMIN GPSMAP 62sc. Excellent unit with a camera if you need that. You can also upload Topomaps for your region in 1:24000.

I found it cheap on eGay.

I got a stripped down Garmin 450 without maps or camera. I uploaded the 24k topo maps to it. It seemed like the best option for me when I was shopping. I didn't need the bigger screen of the 650 or the camera. If I need to take a picture I will just use my phone.

Im a Magellan fan myself. I have a triton gps I will have to go look at what model triton but I have been very happy with it. Lowrance also makes stufff worth looking at.

I didn't want a dedicated unit, I've been using the Gaia GPS app on my iPhone. I have an Anker charger that I can get 2-3 days easy in airplane mode on my phone which is usually good enough for me.

Gaia GPS | Topo Maps and Hiking Trails App for iPhone, iPad, and Android

It doesn't work that great when you are out of data range but all I need are the downloadable maps and basic GPS features.

It would be nice to have the full on features of a Garmin but this is good enough for me.